Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh poor froggy!!  Daphne, your froggy was just as handsome as Judis!!!!

Have some self esteem....

Sheesh! LOL

Danni

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Marie!

Sorry I'm a bit late (I forgot!) but here's where I found how to wire the bunny ears:

http://www.edinburghimports.com/classro … light=wire

I stitched the wire onto the ear before turning like Debbie did.... but added the "loops" to insert into the head like  Ellen did.

However I REALLY like the idea of inserting wire AFTER the ear has been turned.... will have to try that one of these days...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne, your froggiy is darlling...I bet if you kiss him he will turn into a handsome prince!

Here's another way to add tremedous flexibility to wired bunny ears.  As well as using a good stiff wire , I add a whole layer os wire mesh, available at any craft store.  It ia amazing how I can then position the ears. 

I line the ears, (the photo of my bunny earlier in this post is quite large, over 30" tall) with muslin and glue the wire mesh, AFTER sewing up ONE side of the ear.  You need lots of room to turn so I have to leave one side open.  Stitching wrong sides together after turning works very well with ladder stitch and is undetectable..

I also leave very long ends to anchor the wire into the head.  In fact long enough to twist the ends of both the ears' wire together.  The deeper the wire placement inside the head, the more stable and easy it will be to play and position the ears.  They will feel more substantial.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

So do you insert the ear wires, Judi, before stuffing the head at all?  Or once it's stuffed, but not closed? 

Also... Sue Ann, you goddess, you!  I didn't know you had a Franklin Mint produced bear.  Wow, wow, WOW!  WOW!  That's huge.  I again bow at your feet... ;)

Full of admiration,

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh boy, Is there no end to all of your talent you Teddy Talkers!
I certainly hope not as I am enjoying seeing all these wonderful critters. Keep them coming!

Jane.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Judi, you are so amazing!!!   

And Winney, my daughter's beginning to suss, but I still believe, have you got any pics of the vintage Santas??   How lovely!!!

In fact all the other creatures are fantastic!!!   I might try a puppy.................!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shelli, I insert the ears before stuffing the head.  It is quite fiddely but it seems to get the end result that I want.

Man.... I think I am going to have to get that SueAnn Franklin mint bear...........ooooooohhhhhh...especially since I know the artist!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Cool, Judi!!  Do they have Holly dressed in her Christmas outfit or Easter dress?  Do you mind giving me the link or letting me know where I can find it on ebay??  I'd love it if you got her!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks everyone for the nice words about my work, and wow. Do we have some crazy talented people here.
This is my favorite part about talking with other bear makers. Seeing what you guys some up with.
Also, can't wait to make a bunny with wire mesh. Such a great idea~
Heather

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Never mind, Judi . . . I found Holly and it is her Easter dress.  Thanks for alerting me!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Judi.. The only craft store we have here is Michaels..I have never seen any wire mesh there...does it go by a certain crafty or brand  name ?

The only type of material I can think of to fit this description is screen door mesh bought at the hardware store....like at Lowes of Ace hardware... Winney

Lom-Bear-di Cubs Ohio

Awwwww, Rita! Your chimp is darling!

Judi, your work is absolutely breath taking! I enjoyed visiting your website.
I simply adore your tiger and rabbit, but Sherwood
melts my heart! The bear hair on your Muffy bears is gorgeous!

Ladies, you all do such beautiful work! I'm so happy I've discovered this forum!
Thank you for the warm welcomes!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

RamseyRoosteHead.jpgRamseyRooster.jpgWoohoo, Shelli . . . I've NEVER been called a goddess before!  I wonder why Paul laughed when I told him you said I was!! bear_grin bear_grin  The Franklin Mint has quit producing bears as of last year, I believe . . . so any bear you get from them has possible collectible value.  At least I hope so since I've got several Holly Bears!  This is my latest creation . . . Ramsey Rooster.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Beautiful, inspiring work, ladies. What a variety!

And another rooster, Sue Ann! I love that guy.

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Now I for sure am going to get that Holly bear Sue Ann!   If it is still available.  I am still having trouble accessing my ebay page.  I think I need a tech to come and wipe my hard drive clean and just start over. 

Winney, Michaels crafts has the wire mesh.  it is nothing at all like the kind for a window.  It comes in copper and some kind of zinc coated variety.  It is found in the section where they sell paster for casting.  It is really cool stuff to use but the edges are very very sharp.  SOrry, I don't have the package it came in.  Next time I go to the craft store I will pay attention to the name.

I thought up the mesh-in-the-rabbit-ears thing myself...it is amazing what can happen to your creativity when you are "in spirit" or inspired, as Dr Wayne Dyer says.  I was just going for a walk along our street where we have a corn field.  The smell is amazing.  I felt like I was in God's garden.  Having a clear head opens the door for such things.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh Sue Ann!  I LOVE all of your roosters!!!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh Sue Ann the little Rooster is so adorable! You just keep on cluckin yah hear!!:lol::lol::lol:

Hugs Louise

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

OK OK ! So I had a glass of wine!!!!:rolleyes:

Hugs Louise

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Ramsey Rooster is fabulous Sue Ann, what a clever, wonderfully inspiring lady you really are!

Jane

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Laura-Lynn, thank you for your tip !
I was using wire for bear or bunny but I think my wire is not strong enough to
hold ear up...I will try to look for  stronger wire and try out bear_laugh Thank you for your kind support
as always!!

Sue-Ann, your Rooster is gorgeous !!!!!

I just came back from short trip. Here is photo of Odawara Castle.
The bear in this pics is "Chinook", he is Nancy's bear and traveling world now. bear_laugh
Its big pics so I will take out later.
Thank you.
PS. I need more time to catch up this forum !!!!!
Hugs/Marie

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh Marie that is a beautiful picture!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Welcome back, Marie . . . gorgeous photo!!  Thank you all for your nice comments on Ramsey . . . he is going to San Diego and I hope I don't come back with him!! bear_grin bear_grin

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Marie :D

Gorgeos picture, but I can't see Chinook!! Give us a hint, please . . . where is he?

Eileen

White City, Oregon

THnk's Judi...I will look for that mesh...and give it a go...Winney

White City, Oregon

That rooster is precious..he looks very alert..he looks to say; .any one see a worm  around here  ? ...What fun it is to create different animals.. Excellent design !

Marie...The castle is very beautiful ..makes you want to go inside to see what dwells in there...Chinook ! That bear is getting around having just too much fun..Winney

Board footer