Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Hi all,

I haven't worked with synthetic fur in quite a while, and I have this lovely German synthetic that my cousin's daughter wants to make a bear from. (I'm teaching her to make a bear, though I'll probably make much of it myself.  bear_whistle ) Can anyone tell me...do I need to trim the fur from the seam allowances? I'm thinking I do, because it has fairly thick underfur. I'm not sure what my sewing machine will think of it!  bear_laugh

Thanks for your advice,
Debora

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Debora--

I've used faux with a thick undercoat--Tissavel, which is wonderful stuff-- and I'd definitely suggest trimming the seam allowances.

I'd also double-check to make sure the backing is woven, not knit. Even the firmest knit will stretch with stuffing, and needs to be lined.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Website

Thanks, Eileen! I think it's a woven backing, so no need to line it. Whew!  bear_original It is great to hear from someone who has worked with this sort of fur before. Thank you!

Debora

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Yep, trim the seams all round!  It's time consuming and makes your nose tickle, but worth it in the end!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I have to agree!!!  I tried both ways... and wow was it hard when I did not trim the seams  :twisted:   The next time (and EVERY time after that) I trimmed the seams and it was wonderful!!  Remember to leave a slightly larger opening to turn your pieces than you do with mohair... it REALLY helps!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yup!  Trim!

Why do synthetics tickle the nose so much more than regular mohair....

ahhhhhchooooo....
  :crackup:

Website

Thank you, ladies! I will certainly trim. Thanks for the tips! And maybe I'll wear my face mask to avoid the nose tickles. bear_laugh

Hugs,
Debora
bear_flower

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Debora, if you can, do the trimming outside.
Wendy bear_thumb

Website

Great idea, Wendy!  bear_thumb

Board footer