Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Can any recommend a place to purchase weighting materials online?  Like the poly pellets, glass beads, bb's (or similar)...  My local craft supply places are well...lacking to say the least.  They don't carry any of these kinds of things...and look at me like I'm an oddball (well maybe I am) when I ask about them.  I guess the bear business isn't booming here... bear_original:)  But if I were a scrapbooker, floral arranger, seamstress (okay I quilt) then I'd be set.  bear_original:)

Thanks...I need to order some things and thought I'd cheat and ask you guys where you buy.

TTFN

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I get my glass beads from Edinburough. I find they are pretty cheap. I can find the poly pellets at any craft store, like Micheals.  Not sure if you have a Micheals though.
I've also gotten the squishy pellets from Edinburough as well. Those are very cool!!!
haven't had too much luck finding a good deal on ebay though. I nkow BB's can be found at a hunting store, gun shop etc.
That's where I get my stuff anyway. Should be interesting to see where everyone gets theirs as well.
Heather

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, here goes....

Plastic Pellets, Glass Pellets & Jelly Pellets can be bought at:

www.crscraft.com
www.edinburghimports.com
www.dollstuffing.com
www.sparebear.com/052319/thread-stuffings.html

Steel Shot is available at:

www.sparebear.com/052319/thread-stuffings.html
www.lulubears.com (Her's is very tiny... great for little bears!!

Compare prices... CRSCrafts's jelly pellets are the cheapest around. Spare Bear's steel shot is cheap too... but I don't know if it's STAINLESS... be sure you use STAINLESS STEEL SHOT - any other will rust over time....YUCK!

Hope that helps!
Daphne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I may sound silly for asking but what are "jelly pellets"?  are they the same as pvc pellets?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Jelly pellets are plasic, but they kind of squish. They feel like rubber in a way, but maybe someone else can describe them better than I.
Heather

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

They sound fun!  i want jelly pellets! bear_grin

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks...just what I was looking for...now where's my visa bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

By the way- remember shipping and handeling- I buy the glass beads at edinburgh in the 50 lb. size- the shipping is $19....but I have pellets for for a long long time.....but Edinburgh shipping to oregon might be a weee bit different than to say Toronto......yikes!

I can see where Jellypellets would have a good use....interesting

Dilu

Willamette Valley Oregon

Well...I just got back from Walmart to buy BB's....and they looked at me like I was a nutcase.  The guy wanted to know what I was using them for and I said "bears."  He gave me the strangest look and said "ma'am these won't harm bears..."  I said..."oh I'm not wanting to harm them"...smiled and said "thank you."  Turn..and walked out with my BB's in hand.  I wonder what he's telling his co-workers now.  :):)

Now...on to order pellets and such...

Shantell

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

And if you had've gone one step further and said "I'm going to STUFF them" He would have thought you were a taxidermist!:D

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_grin:lol::lol:

Are BB's steel???

I'm about to order a LOT of stainless steel shot for $7.00/lb... I know it sounds like a lot of money but I'm ordering it directly from the manuf. and it's about 1/16" in diameter so good for 8+ inch bears. I'm getting it at cost and would happily share some with all of you.... 1 lb. container $7.00 plus shipping.

Pretty soon we can just buy supplies from each other! bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Daphne, honey bite your tongue....well yes we probably could, but without the kindness of the good folks at Intercal we would never have met....

o0h I would have missed you guys....I guess....if I had known what I was missing...which wouldn't have happened......oh dear.....this is where I say good night! :P

Dilu

Willamette Valley Oregon

The ones I got at Walmart are 4.5 mm which was bigger than what I wanted but the guy said it was all they carried...and I wanted them NOW.  They are stainless steel copper coated.  It's 6000 bb's and weighs alot more than 1 pound and cost me $6.95.   

So anyway...I hope I did okay.  bear_noexpression

Lom-Bear-di Cubs Ohio

WARNING!

In the doll world, it has been an issue with the jelly pellets leaking and breaking down over time!
I don't know how it would react to the fur and handling.
But when the jelly pellets (baby fat as the artists called them) were used in the vinyl reborn dolls, they broke down inside the vinyl parts filled with the pellets!

There are other kinds of pellets.
I purchased my squishy pellets from CRs Crafts. They are not filled with the jelly/oils.
I don't care for how light they are,
but for a floppy cuddly bear, it would be nice.

Board footer