Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Male72.jpgI'm going to post this first and then have a go at Image Uploading. I'm terrible at that.....

This is the design I created for the Heartland Museum in Clarion Iowa, (the location of the fantabulous every-5-years show). This piece, Into The Unknown will be on display through this Fall. I was asked to participate while on a waiting list when a few other artists needed to drop out.

1 - Male balanced on 3 feet, approx 5" long 3.5" tall

2 - Female, seated 3.5" tall
Cub about .75" tall 1.5" long
All made of several sheep breeds' wool. All with size-appropriate metal claws, individually hand-formed and inserted, my Studio exclusive.

3 - Here's where the true beauty of extremely firm NFing pays off. I wanted the male figure to be 'stepping through' a pane of glass (Into The Unknown). After shaping him to allow a diagonal stance, I sliced through him from just behind the left front leg, through belly, back & hump, to just above the right front elbow. You just can't do this with more softly needled fiber!
His rear half has been glued to the glass pane; the top of the glass shows here but disappears when in position in its display case.
When the bears are returned, I'll remove him from the pane, re-needle him back together and he'll be one solid piece again.

4 - All 3 figures in position.
The scene starts to shape up with multiple layers of Paper Perfect.
The room-box has a 10" opening on the front. I built an inner foam core to bring the front edge up by more than half and tapered the 20" deep & wide sides inward toward the rear. A curved polar bear scene is bonded to the back wall.

5 - The museum's lighting inside each space exactly highlights the bears to best advantage. I lucked out there as I didn't know how they'd be lit. The top edge of the glass is just barely visible at the photos top.

6 - In place in its niche. This looks like the type of display cabinet from an old dry goods store. It's a wonderful oak antique piece. There are 2 (3?) in the Teddy part of the Heartland Museum, holding 25 or so individual 'spaces'.

7 - The text on the box front explaining the theme - Into the Unknown

"While no true ‘family unit’ exists for Bears, this trio exemplifies a natural human condition ~
the endless quest for Adventure, Freedom, Discovery and Personal Satisfaction.

The male figure is re-directing the route:
stepping out of the box, away from their previous Comfort Zone.
The female recognizes what may be lost in this new venture and is reluctant to follow.
The youngster is squirming to be released: in the innocence of youth it will boldly follow,
without regard for safety, comfort or hazard.
In short, the Human Condition."

8 - Sliced Panda. A tad under 3".
One of my first slicing experiments a few years ago: by the time I got this panda baby's colorings positioned as I wanted them and ready to attach the tail, he was angled too far forward to see his face. Knowing the texture of my needling to resemble wood, I took a razor blade and sliced off just the back edge of his bum, repositioned the tail and sealed over the cut. His little feet stuck up in the air; while I could've re-needled them to rest down on the surface, I liked him better in this "Oh, My!" position.

suburban Chicago
suburban Chicago
suburban Chicago
suburban Chicago
suburban Chicago

cla172.jpg

cla272.jpg

...dohhh..... it wasn't until this last post that I figured out how to put multiple pix into 1 post.....

There's also an added image after the glued half, showing the male bonded to the clear archival glass. That stuff Costs!!!!

suburban Chicago

Forgot the Panda baby....

SlicedPanda.jpg

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Bobbie, your work is wonderful................made me feel cold just looking at those polar bears brrrrrrr

and re- 'this category has been tooo quiet'........................i'm making a needle felted faced bear RIGHT NOW!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I saw this polar scene on another forum somewhere and was amazed at it but am thankful to see it again with all your explanations. Just fantastic work and something for us to aspire to.  bear_wub

Marion

suburban Chicago

Thx all, I'm not 'the' pioneer, just one of the many who's pushing everyone to try it. It is such a freeform Fiber Art form which enables one to create things short of impossible in fabric.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_shocked Holy Cow, this is a beautiful piece of work!! I love your adventurous imagination, Bobbi!

This category has been too quiet.

I can report that I've broken half a dozen needles in the last week (I'm trying hard to be careful with them, but . . .) and mutilated all my fingers.

When my new needles arrive, I'm inclined to pre-bandage my fingers.

Bobbi, when is your needlefelting supplies store going to open? I've checked the website a few times.

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

Ooooooh... wow Bobbie.. it is just beautiful!!  Pitty I can`t see it for real, but having one of your polar creatures, I know it is perfect in every detail!! I love it!!
Hugs,
Berta

suburban Chicago

Is this a ad?? Sorry if it offends. Pls check with me off-list; my 'store' has always been open - it's just not online -- -- yet. Still the best prices for the best needles.

Just awaiting my webbie to finish my site, a rather large one.

THX for asking

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Hi Bobbie,
Just amazing!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
I have done a little some time ago but after sticking myself so many times, I decided to leave it to the experts...like you! I do have the Clover needle thing on its way, so I will try again.
It seems everybody loves the polar bear through the glass...me too!! I think your work is fantastic.
Big  :hug:
Sandi

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Truly fantastic and amazing!  Simply WONDERFUL work!!!!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Kimberly W.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Ads on TT? -- horrors! :crackup:

Bobbi, I didn't mean to suggest that you were advertising. Far from it. I'm just impatient.

I just want your website to start working so that I  can get some decent needles for a change.

I've been buying mine from Romney Wools here in Toronto. They're fine for felting loose fluff and piercing fingers, but they don't want to penetrate a hard-stuffed head. I've tried felting veeeerrrrry sloooowly, avoiding the backs of eyes and keeping the needle at a consistent 90 degree angle to the surface to avoid bending, but they still snap after a few stabs.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Fantastic Bobbie, I love your work.  :clap:  :hug:  :clap:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Absolutely sensational. What a unique and truely creative piece of art.  I'm glad you gave a written explanation.
It really made me stop observe and think.  I have always admired your polar bear in your avatar. Spending quite considerable time studying it. :redface:
regards Wendy bear_thumb

suburban Chicago

Bobbi, I didn't mean to suggest that you were advertising.

LOL - no, Eileen, I meant that the following bit that I was about to post might read as an ad!!!

I use Foster Needles. It takes a bit of Googling but I've identified 4 manufacturers: US, Brit, German & Asian. The Foster Formed needles I think are the best; I won't detail all of the info here, but know that you must be ready to make an inventory investment, as they're sold only in the minimum of 1000 per box. 
Being the personality that I am, I'd probably retain that count anyway as I don't ever want to feel that I'd run out, even if I didn't also retail them! (Ask me how many pairs of shoes I have 'in readiness'/unworn in just 1 style because I've got hard to fit feet and don't ever want to run out of them!)

The size of the needles in relationship to the micron count (size/thickness) of your fibers as well as compactedness of your fibers at every stage will govern the needle you choose to work with. I've said before that I use 6 - 8 different sizes on all of my work, depending on those 2 points. 

Renae, I'm going to adapt your phrase about felting firmly over a softer core - 'delicate'. That's an excellent way to gently describe another style of needling. To explain what I mean by firmly felted, I now include a little snippet of needled fiber so that ppl buying kits/needles know what I mean. I've bought lots online that are practically falling apart as I unwrap them. (Needless to say, mailing them in an envelope is about the worst presentation and method to retain a shape! I kid you not! 2 pieces arrived - very squashed.
There's only 1 person I know that actually describes her own work as softly sculpted. Part of my 'mission' is to show that all degrees of feltedness exist, and are all useful for different purposes, but that they should be described accurately (sp?).

Thx to all who contributed!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   Very original Bobbie!  WOW!! bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Bobbie

I am in awe

You are an artist

What incredible work.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

BOBBIE ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS NEEDLE FELTING bear_thumb
You must feel so proud of the exhibit... bear_original 
:hug: Well done :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow!  This polar piece is just spectacular!  I don't needle felt so I don't get to this forum often but when I saw it was Bobbie posting I had to make a detour.  Just wonderful!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Bobbie,
Your Needle Felted work it totally awesome...You are truly an inspiration to me!
Hugs,

Board footer