Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Some of you may remember when I posted about my dad losing his job of 38 years about 3 1/2 months ago.  He was laid off from his job at the age of 58 while all the young guys there were kept around.  I won't go into all of that as it's still a sore spot the way he was treated, but the good news is he finally found another job.  He starts tomorrow!! :dance:  :dance:  :dance: Both Mom and Dad are soooo relieved and happy.  There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel!  Dad has had a difficult time finding work...probably largely to do with his age and his inexperience in driving truck, which is what he wants to do until he does retire.  Anyway, he is going to work for Farner Bocken company, and will be home every night--no cross country driving at all.  Plus he will work 4, 10 hour days, so he and Mom will have 3 day weekends now to go camping and whatever else they want to do.  I am so happy for them!! :dance:  :dance:   And especially Dad.  He is in such a good mood now.....this did wonders for his self-worth I think, after feeling like he was tossed on the trash heap by his former employer. bear_wub  Did I say I am sooooooooo happy for them?  Yippeeeeee!! :dance:  :dance:

:hug:
Tracy

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

YAY!!!   That is good news.  It's very sad what companies do to their "older" employees.  The college I worked at for 13 years recently had to make major budget cuts and one of the maintenance guy lost his job...he was due to retired NEXT YEAR!!!  He's 60+ years old and just got let go...couldn't they keep him ONE MORE YEAR!  Poor guy!!!

Anyway...Congrats on your dad's new job!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Tracy,
     I'm delighted for your mum and dad AND you - it must be a huge relief to see him employed again and have his self-confidence back.  That's wonderful news!!

hugs,

Brenda

beary_clairey Luton

What great news.

I bet your Dad feels on top of the world again and to have that extra time with your Mum - wonderful.

Unfortunately loyalty to a company is not as highly valued as it used to be in this world, but I bet your Dad was brilliant at his job and could probably run rings around the younger guys. Their loss!!

Best of luck to your Dad!!!

Claire

Iowa
Website

Thanks girls!! :hug:  :hug:

Shantell--That poor man!  I do feel for him, and it does make you wonder why they couldn't give him just one more year.  Rotten!!  bear_sad  I couldn't help but wonder that with my dad's situation too.  Four more years and he would have retired anyway.

Brenda--Thanks! :hug: It is a huge relief to me too.  Dad's unemployment would have run out in 2 1/2 months, and I was so worried for them bear_sad ...................Now I'm excited!! :dance:

Claire--You're right.......he could have run circles around all those young guys!! bear_grin  There is something to be said for experience, and it's too bad it's not appreciated more!!

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Oh that is good news  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
Hope your dad settles in to his new job!!!!!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

sarahjane Brisbane

:dance:  :dance: That's wonderful news Tracy...I can relate to your fathers predicament as my dad was laid off at 53 and had a terrible time trying to find work again!!!

It's so good to hear some good news!!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Don't look back on what they did....I did the same with my dad, and it did no good whatsoever for any of us  bear_angry   So onward and upwards!!!  bear_happy   Yiiipppeeee!!!!  Tell him CONGRATULATIONS!!! from me!  :bday:  Sounds like a wonderful job to fit in with their lifestyle...

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Awww im so pleased every-things turned around for him...THATS BRILLIENT bear_thumb
LANIEX

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I remember your post, I really felt for you as I can tell you are close to your Pops. Its such lovely news and he can spend quality time with your mum too, I think its great!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Tracy that is such wonderful news.  It must have been a stressful time for everyone those 3 1/2 months.  I am so happy for your all.  All things seem to work out in the end.  woohoo2.gif

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Excellent news Tracy :clap:

Dilu Posts: 8,574
Iowa
Website

:hug:  :hug: Thanks girls for all the well wishes!  It is such a relief!  And I really hated to see my father depressed and feeling down about himself. bear_sad   He's really excited about the new job as he has always worked as a mechanic and now he gets to try something new.  I can't wait to hear how his first day went! bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Big congrats for your dad, Tracy . . . hope his first day went well!

knuffelbear Claudia's Knuffelbaeren
Heinsberg

Bog congrats for your dad Tracy! And good luck to your dad for the new job  bear_original

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Tracy, that is wonderful news that your Father has a new job.
I do remember when you told us and I felt so sorry that it had happened, after such a long service.
Wishing him all the very best in his new job!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Iowa
Website

Thanks SueAnn, Claudia, and Carolyn! :hug:  :hug: Dad's first day went great, although was mostly tons of orientation type stuff, watching videos (*yawn*), paperwork, etc.  He does have some weird hours to get used to.  He has to be up for work at 2:30AM and at work by 4:15AM.  bear_shocked  He's off by 4Pm and only works 4 days a week, so will have an extra day to play catch up with yard work or whatever that he normally did after work before.  Now he has to go to bed too early to do much but eat supper and relax a bit before bed. bear_happy The important thing is he's happy.  Dad doesn't seem to mind the funky work hours one bit!! bear_wub  bear_wub

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Tracy.
     I'm glad your dad's first day went well, even with all the boring things to listen to.   The irregular house are minor compared to the feeling of contentment that he has, now that his life is back in order.  I'm really happy for your parents.

hugs,

Brenda

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

That's great news!  I'm glad the job is going well so far.  It's great that he gets 3 day weekends.   :clap:  :dance:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

That's great news!!  A persons whole outlook changes when they feel like they're making their way in the world.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Board footer