Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Well after great debate, some searching and looking....I think we may have found exactly the right companion for Blossom. LOL, although currently Blossom's a bit disgusted!  bear_angry

:clap:  :clap: ...everyone meet Foxy Lady Too, or Lady Bear to her friends... a Missouri Foxtrotter mare...  :clap:  :clap:

Lady%20Bear-medium.jpg
Two%20ladies.JPG

Tony and her hubby Jim drove roughly four hours one way to deliver her for us. Tony was kind enough to hold onto Lady Bear, while I got ahold of Blossom for in hand intros. Both girls surprised me by not squealing! Especially as Lady Bear's in season just now. Blossom was ever keen to meet Lady Bear, and a bit excited to see another 'equine'...but a bit confused at the same time, she's obviously been around people too long! LOL Blossom also refused to do any foal yapping or submissive gestures, and Lady Bear (being a very alpha girl) kindly laid back those long ears to 'explain' the situation. At first Blossom just hid behind me (Mom save me!!!)...but I kept moving her and gave her more rope to learn on her own.

Lady Bear is a brilliant alpha mare, she believes in the less is more....why put all that effort into kicking or actually biting when an ear laid back and a nasty face will do just as well?
ears.JPG

Yes, she's done a lot of 'impressing' on Blossom....lol, who I may add is still VERY full of herself, but is realizing she does need to pay strict attention to where Lady Bear is, and that she's not to get too close yet....and above all, to move. Blossom's pulled a few kid tricks, including running circles just out of range of Lady Bear.... and oh yes, as Lady Bear went to lay down for a roll, Blossom snuck up on her...bit of a bad call for Blossom! Although to Lady Bear's credit, Blossom's nary a mark on her.....she can't help but feel a bit disgusted at the current situation...
Blossom%20look-medium.jpg

bear_whistle  We'll just have to see how things work out between these two lovely ladies...especially as Lady Bear's all ready decided I'm hers exclusively! This should be fun  bear_rolleyes  LOL Eldon said he wasn't sure which girl had the sadder expression as the trailer left without Lady Bear! Blossom was going "Hey you left her here!!!" ...and Lady Bear was wondering why she was being abandoned. But a glance at Blossom and she's got the situation summed up...yep, she's a baby sitter just now

Lady%20Bear%20salt-medium.jpg

Blossom%20June06-medium.jpg

Although I'll be doing the main riding on Lady Bear, she's technically Eldon's horse....Blossom's still my girlie, and the apple of my eye  bear_wub

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Awww Debbie, I love these horse stories!  bear_wub Thanks for the update. Interesting color pattern on Lady Bear. Have fun with them and keep the pics and stories coming, please.  :hug:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Awww...I love to look at horses.....from VERY FAR AWAY...and pictures work just wonderfully.  Have a I mentioned (only a dozen times) I'm afraid of horses...silly huh!!!

bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Debbie wrote:

....why put all that effort into kicking or actually biting when an ear laid back and a nasty face will do just as well?

k020.gif

My son would agree with Lady Bear completely.  He said i had a look that would drop an elephant....and since I am so not into chasing down errant sons i was glad to have that look.

Personally, I think the lad is exaggerating!!!

a043.gif

Such lovely piccys Debbie!  Lovely and I am very happy for you!

a194.gif

:hug: Not silly at all Shantell!  And I'm happy my girlies can bring you happiness from their pictures  bear_wub

Thanks for the lovely comments girlies!  :hug:

Just to give an update, Blossom's been really full of herself...certainly no spirit broken with this girlie!  Do you remember from childhood playing and one 'brat' would hit you and then run and hide behind his mom?  Well Blossom was doing just that this afternoon while I was trying to fill in some holes in the field (dratted moles anyways  bear_angry )  I was minding my own business with the shovel when Blossom made a beeline for me "Moooooooommmmm!!!" ...then she got this  :twisted:  expression and went over to Lady Bear, swung her butt around and bunny hopped at Lady Bear  bear_ermm  and then hotfooted it to hide behind ME!!!!  Lady Bear wasn't impressed, and neither was I!!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Deb,
     Your babies are both beautiful, but animals will act like children at times LOL!   I'm sure they will be pals in no time and then lookout - they will gang up on you! :crackup:  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Debbie,
I loved reading about your new horse, I hope she settles in and becomes a bit more friendly to Blossom. Perhaps when Blossom reaches her full size Lady Bear will take a look and say ...What was I thinking????
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

LOL...well, technically I want Blossom to look up to Lady Bear because Lady Bear's an excellent role model... and I don't want Blossom to "outgrow" her  :crackup:

Dilu ....you really crack me up...a look that would drop an elephant!  I SOOOOOOOOO need to practice that look!!!!  :crackup:

I think Lady Bear's been in a bit of shock at how much work she's been having to do with Blossom.  Afterall, Blossom is a baby still but she sure doesn't act it.  You should have seen yesterday morning's tiff by the gate!   bear_shocked

I normally give Blossom a bucketfeed so she can get all of her supplements.  Well, Lady Bear's used to people forking over sugar cubes (although I suspect she expects some feed as well).  Even though I was holding up two empty hands to stress the point there was nothing they were at it!  bear_shocked   Blossom was convinced she had a foodbucket to fight for and was giving as good as she got for a bit.  Finally she realized nothing was forthcoming and she backed off.  Just now she's got a permanent pout going ...literally the lower lip is out! 

I'm hoping I'll be able to get them some bucket feeds before long.  I really do like them to have vits/minerals just to round things out.  But we shall see ...  bear_rolleyes

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

OOOOOOO I JUST LOVE THE HORSES.... bear_wub

WildCatDancer wrote:

And again we missed lunch, because April got the saddle bags open and ate the sandwiches, tuna fish and all. In fact, I think she rather liked them better than peanut butter, since they didn't stick to the roof of her mouth.

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Horses are a comedy act all their own!!!   

This afternoon was an Awwwwwhhhh....  bear_wub  moment.... for the very first time, the girls groomed each other!  Awwhhhhh..... at least they'll 'tolerate' one another long enough to scratch backs  :hug:  Yiippeee!!!

bear_happy   Maybe you should blow up that pic of Lady Bear so you can just whip it out at needed "Alpha mare" moments  :crackup:

:crackup:  You should know women ALWAYS rule!!!!  :crackup:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Debbie, I don't know how I missed posting on this........probably checked out the pics and all when I didn't have time to post and meant to come back later.......... bear_rolleyes

Lady Bear is absolutely gorgeous! bear_wub   And lucky you to own her!! :dance:  :dance: Foxtrotters are soooo nice to ride......if I ever buy another riding horse for myself, it will be a foxtrotter. bear_thumb  bear_thumb

I got the best laugh reading about the antics of Blossom and Lady Bear's handling of her.  Horses are so entertaining!!  There's a language all their own if a person knows to look. bear_wub  bear_wub  One of my favorites was always the moms giving the foals a "spank" when they were too naughty.  Just a minor nip to the flank or rump, which amounts to the same thing.  A quick "swat" meaning BEHAVE!! bear_grin  :crackup:

I find myself wondering about a possible Arab/Foxtrotter cross.......that would be an excellent new baby!  But am now smacking myself upside the head (*smack*)........I promised myself no more breeding of the mares!  Bad Tracy!! bear_whistle

LOL....actually from what I've read of the more knowledgeable breeders  :pray:  you need to breed gaited to gaited to get a decent shot at a gaited baby.  In other words...if you're more than ready to joyously receive your arab/foxtrotter bred baby, even IF it never foxtrots....then GO FOR IT!!  bear_grin   However, if you've got your heart set on a foxtrotting babe....get one that was bred for it! 

I've been itching to put Lady Bear in foal all ready to a dales pony stud....but with full understanding that the resulting foal may not be hairy, nor gaited!!  Both traits are hard to come by...but no matter what, I'd fully expect it to be laid back and sensible...which is exactly what I expect of a dales pony or a foxtrotter  bear_happy

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:crackup:  :crackup: Thanks Debbie!!  I did not know that you couldn't expect to get gaited unless you have two gaited parents.  Haven't researched it........and I'm not going to as I did promised myself NO FOALS! bear_grin  You've saved me.... from myself!! :hug:  :crackup:  :crackup:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

:hug:
That's good Blossom got a company and feeling better!

What a beautiful pictures!!  bear_thumb  bear_flower

julia :hug:

Board footer