Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

sarahjane Brisbane

Hi...This question has probably been asked before, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be fine.

I was wondering how many of you find your websites really worthwhile...and is it necessary for me to have a website up and running before I start selling on ebay?    Being almost a computer dunce I am having trouble creating a website and can't afford to pay someone to do it for me so I was thinking about starting on ebay (which is convenient and easy as I have some experience with ebay selling collectables etc) and looking at a website later.

I'd be interested in all opinions.....Thanks

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Websites are nice, it's easy that way for people to visit your work and maybe even bookmark your site.

That being said, I STILL dont have one, and when I was selling on ebay, it didn't seem to matter.

So go ahead! Give the old ebay the big try!

chris009av Real Deal Bears

SarahJane, how about trying freewebs to get you started. It is pritty easy as they have templates that you just add your pics and write-up. Pluss it's FREE  bear_grin

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear SarahJane,
I think web sites are a good companion to eBay. People may like to see a bit more of your work and you can direct them to your web site from your About Me page on eBay. I didn't know any html and started to do a bit to jazz up my auction pages. A good place to start learning is introduction to html at http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp I also use a free programme called Nvu which you can down load from the web. I edit all my pages in this now. At first I found all the html sooo confusing  bear_wacko but the more you learn the easier it gets. Good Luck.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use homestead.com... they have a variety of packages, the first one starts at $9.99 a month and there are add ons... (domain name is $2.00 a month, I think)... It is really easy to use (especially once you get everything set up the first time).  I like the fact that I have a website.. not only can you link it to ebay through your about me page but you can put it on your business cards (I always stick a card in the box when I am sending a bear)... and other bear artists can link your website to their website.  I have gotten a couple bear sales through other bear artist websites...

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I love love love websites!!!!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  and found mine really worthwhile...Start small and you will have heaps of fun as you learn...its almost as addicting as making teddy bears  bear_tongue 
I suppose you could also begin by making an about me page on ebay...that would be like a small web site.
good luck!
xo sarah

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Yes I have found my website to be worthwhile!

I also started on eBay... and without a website.  I later built mine... and found that I have collectors who prefer ebay... and also collectors who prefer directly thru the website.   I still use ebay too.... it's a great advertising tool as well as selling venue.

Board footer