Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

On the subject of commission bears...and I always say I won't take commissions....but I do try to make the type of bear a person is asking for and they get first refusal on it....

But how long is a reasonable time to elapse before I can assume the person doesn't want the bear...?

I finished the bear early last week sent pictures and phoned...no answer....I have now emailed and phoned a second time...still no answer

..I have sent a message saying that if I haven't heard either way by midnight Saturday (it's nearly 2 weeks later) I will assume she doesn't want this bear and then post him on my website..

Is that reasonable or am I being mean?

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I think that's reasonable Jenny.  After all, she may be on holiday. 

I don't work in quite the same way as you - I always take a deposit on a bear and secure an order at the outset, whether it's a special commission or someone wanting a limited edition bear.  If I make a bear without it being pre-ordered by anyone, I just notify my customer base and offer on a 'first come, first served' basis via my website, at shows or on Ebay .. whichever suits me best at the time!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

hmm... that is odd that the person is among the missing... maybe they are on vacation??? Did they say anything about being on vacation (since it is July 4th - the long weekend leading up to it)???  Or maybe that doesnt make sense... I guess the first question to ask is do you gals over in England celebrate the 4th of July??? I never thought to ask  bear_laugh

warwickshire uk
Website

No Kim ..we don't celebrate it here....and it's not particularly holiday (vacation) time yet...that's kind of the middle of July onward...but she could be an early bird I guess...I just don't want to let her down ...or keep annoying her by emailing about it...but I also need to sell him...if you catch my drift!!!!!

Paula..I don't take deposits because I detest doing commissions..so I kind of work a bear into my schedule....but as it's a loose arrangement it's not bullet proof....I will wait till the weekend before I do anything...trouble is I have other folks who are interested in him..and they are waiting patiently too...I don't want them going off the boil either......!!!!

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Jenny

I'd be getting a little anxious by now. I think that the time frame you have given is perfectly reasonable, especially as the bear was not secured by a deposit.

I'd also tend to agree that if the lady was knowingly going to be on holiday, then she would have informed you. Still, the additional week you have given is a fair allowance to cover that eventuality. I don't see that you can do any more than phone and email.

Something may have happened in between the initial contact and now which means that the lady cannot afford to pay for the bear at this time but she feels difficult about informing you of this. I would go ahead with your plans to offer the bear on your site after the 2 week time frame because you have of course got to be paid. She may be in a better situation to purchase another bear from you in the future.

I do hope all works out for you smoothly.
:hug:

Yvonne Bebbin Bears
Buckinghamshire
Website

Hi Jenny,

I do exactly the same thing as you, as I can't stand to do commissions, ...........I think you have done all you can.........other than maybe extend the deadline by another day......as she may be on a fortnight's holiday!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Hi Jenny,
I done a commision on a bear a few months ago and ended up waiting nearly a month for payment.I emailed this woman a few times and she would take a while to answer back but in the end she did say that she wanted the bear and paid for him.
I was lucky as in the end she still had the bear but it has put me off commisions as I like to do bears how and when I like and as bears are individual they might not turn out how people thought they would look and I would rather people choose from what I have already made as there is no pressure then.
The only other thing is money-did you finish it quicker than she thought you would and was hoping to get her wages at the end of the month and pay then!It boils down to how long you want to wait for your money and whether the wait will be worthwhile in the end.
Laurie :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

041.gif                 

Wow Jenny

You are not only reasonable but kind and have gone above and beyond!!!

Do commissions do a down payment?  Do they forfeit this down payment if they renig?
How do the rest of you handle commissions?

warwickshire uk
Website

Thanks everyone for commenting...it's a really interesting subject...commissions..and special orders...I don't take a deposit because I don't want to feel  bound into contracts...and so that's why I work the way I do...say someone asks for a rabbit..I'll plan one into my list of things to do..within a couple of months or so.

I ended up with  stupid long list which went on interminably and I felt trapped by it. Then, last year, I started to get vertigo..I think the full on bear-making had a lot to do with it..and so I just drew a line through the whole list and now I just make what I want to make when I want to make it...I think my work has improved because of it. Some might disagree...but I felt like I was churning out stuff I wasn't keen on...run of the mill...and my heart wasn't in it.

I do try to accomodate customers and make what they want up to a point...I don't ask for deposits..then if they don't like what I make there are no 'issues'

But...because I work how I work ..I do like to sell them on quickly...to keep my cash-flow nice and free flowing...so when this happens I become anxious to resolve the problem ..and also so that other folks who have asked for a bear get a chance to have a look in.

Laurie..I think this lady may be away...so to be fair to her I'll wait for a bit...but I can't hang on forever..I think two weeks is long enough!!!!

Here's another question for all of you...layaway....does anyone charge interest on the bear..or make a charge for holding it..I don't but I know that in most other you would be charged...(I am not thinking of doing it...just curious!!) and, if a customer goes for layaway the changes their mind...after say a month...how much do you refund??

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England
jenny wrote:

I do try to accomodate customers and make what they want up to a point...I don't ask for deposits..then if they don't like what I make there are no 'issues'

Jenny, I work with commissions on the same basis as you. I rarely take a deposit for the reason that if the bear is not what they invisaged, there are no issues as you say. I am then also free to sell that bear to anyone else.

I think I am like most people here when it comes to commissions, unless I am fairly free to create without too many restraints I will enjoy the work. If it has to be too similar to a previously made bear I get bored and always seem to put off starting it. I generally don't accept them for this reason.

I also like to put a bear up for sale fairly quickly after completion. It keeps my work current and as I am working as a small business I like to have the cash for my work. bear_original

Because I am mostly an ebay/website seller I have never been asked for layaway. Not sure that it appeals really. I don't think my work will ever warrant the prices that people would need to pay for in installments either.

:hug:

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Jenny - maybe the Lady/Gentleman has had some family emergency that has taken priority - ccomputer meltdown.............. there maybe any number of reasons to speculate.

In my humble opinion - you have been very kind in giving time for the person to contact you - you have copies of emails, and your phone records should indicate calls attempted - should there ever be an issue about it.
Its possible I suppose - that a financial emergency may have arisen and s/he could be too embarrassed to tell you.  We could go on speculating all day. 

If I were the potential buyer, I would say you have been very fair, and perhaps they will be able to respond on a future occasion if they want one of your desirable creations(and who wouldn't.....)

Just my two-pennoth for what its worth.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I use a deposit system for commissions and limited edition bears, that way I can forward plan both my schedule and my cash flow so I don't get caught out ordering fabrics and then finding I'm left in limbo financially until the bears sell, particuarly if the original collector who suggested the bear, goes off the boil when it comes to the final payment.

Regarding commission, like you Jenny, I have found myself with a huge list months running months ahead in the past and I hated it.  It made such a slog of things, but it did keep the cash flow flowing.  Nowadays, I forward plan my time more carefully so that I can work what I want to do into my schedule, as well as what I have to do ... it's a case of trying to achieve a balance between being businesslike in terms of guaranteeing regular income/cashflow and satisfying myself creatively too.  I also try to ensure that my limited edition bears are ones I'm going to enjoy repeating so that making editions, which are necessary for advertising and achieving forward orders, isn't too painful.

Because I make big bears which are fairly pricey I do offer a four month layaway, but I don't charge interest on this facility.  The terms stated on my website make it clear that there is no 'change of mind' option available and any instalment payments made are non-refundable.  It ensures that collectors commit to their order when they place it, in the same way that I pledge to make their order.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

All Bear wrote:

Because I make big bears which are fairly pricey I do offer a four month layaway, but I don't charge interest on this facility.  The terms stated on my website make it clear that there is no 'change of mind' option available and any instalment payments made are non-refundable.  It ensures that collectors commit to their order when they place it, in the same way that I pledge to make their order.

I more or less do what Paula does.  I sell on eBay and not yet from my website.  And I have a three installment layaway, not four month.  It ends up being about a 2.5 month time period in which the collector can pay (at 5 days... 30 days after that... 30 days after that...)

My layaway contract, which I ask bidders to request PRIOR TO placing a bid, states that layaway deposits are non-refundable.

I've never had a problem with this and when they can, my buyers like to pay early, to get their bear sooner!

Hope this helps,

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Jenny,
The only thing I'm wondering about is....if this lady didn't have a general idea of when the bear would be ready (as you said it was just a 'loose commission' ) then maybe she did go away on holidays and didn't give the bear a thought. She may have thought emailing you to ask if it was ready prior to going away would be like hassling you.

I'm thinking if this is the case, she'll be very disappointed to find that the bear happened to be ready when she wasn't around to claim it...and the fact that she is not answering her phone does suggest that she may be away. I would give her another week if you can stretch it, as some people do go away for that long.

I can see it's tough for you, especially when you have others interested. The only other option if you haven't heard from her by the weekend, may be to let the other people have this one and when you find out if the original lady did still want it, make it a priority to make another similar bear for her.
Feel like you're on a torture rack getting pulled too many ways???? bear_laugh

warwickshire uk
Website

Shelli..I never thought of offering layaway on ebay.....do you think it encourages more folks to bid?

Board footer