Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Thought I would share a few pics of Beuford, one of our roosters.  He was sitting on the birdhouse next to the door the other morning and peeking in the house.....in between crows. bear_grin  New alarm clock anyone?  :crackup:

Beuford1.jpg

Beuford2.jpg

Beuford3.jpg

Beuford is kind of a nut anyway.  He comes right up to me and cocks his head to stare at me with one eye, as if to say, "Hey, where's my food woman!" bear_grin  And he has tried several times to follow me right in the door and into the house.  That would be fun. bear_shocked  Little Midget, my rat terrier, would know that chicken does not belong in the house and the chase would be on.  Picture lots of flapping and squawking with feathers and chicken poo everywhere! :crackup:  :crackup:

:hug:
Tracy

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Tracy, What a great looking rooster, he looks very proud of himself. I have a peachface that I rescued from our garden.. he was being attacked by a currowong (Large scary black and white bird in Oz) He also turns his head to look at something.. It's to do with how their eyes are placed wide on their head, just darn cute.
bear_flower
Cheers Susan

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Ohhh Tracy..Beuford is a Barred Rock Rooster...wowee...would our dozen lady Barred Rocks love him!!!
He is gorgeous!!!

Iowa
Website

Susan--Chickens are cute in a very chicken sort of way! bear_grin I love watching them run.  Especially the shorter, fatter hens.  They put their heads down, wings out just a bit, and .....CHARGE!!  Hilarious! :crackup:

Charlotte--Beuford would love your ladies too!  He is quite the ladies man, uh rooster. bear_whistle  bear_grin We actually have too many roosters right at the moment.  Largely due to a surprise hatching last summer (up in the hay pile...I had no idea a hen was setting there until I heard peeping bear_tongue ) and wouldn't you know it.......most of the seven chicks were roosters.  Tomorrow we are heading to the flea market to hopefully find 5-7 hens.  The poor girls here at home will be so happy!

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

hi Tracy - very handsome Barred Rock Rooster. He looks like my rooster here. I will get a pic of him tomorrow.
that is too funny about him trying to come into the house. Mine talks to me when I am outside - like I know what he saying.  :crackup: but he will give me the look like I should know exactly what he is talking about.

hugs kassie

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Hes so proud looking and gorgeous.. bear_wub
I LOVE CHICKENS.
Kassie your rooster probably thinks your one of his hens... Their funny like that. bear_original :crackup:

Irene Irenours-bears
France

He's gorgeous :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Here is a friend for Beuford:)cacti011.JPG

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

I didn't know you had chickens!?! I do too! I am soooo familiar with the rooster in the window! My company loves it when there's a rooster head popping up in the window behind the T.V. . He literally jumps up to look in the living room! We haven't slept in for years! Our first baby chicks were born this past Easter weekend. We are soooo proud. bear_grin
JeannieB bear_original

Iowa
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry So sorry about your little chickies Renae.  About the three seemingly healthy ones that just died, I'm not sure what could have happened.  They could have gotten overheated, but generally the chicks would just come out from under momma if they get too hot.  More likely something didn't develop correctly and they just couldn't survive....I think this can happen if momma doesn't keep her eggs turned properly.  I've lost some like this before too. bear_sad  I actually had one that hatched once that we had to 'put down' (thank goodness my Dad has the stomach for something like that).  It hatched with only part of its beak there on top and nothing on the bottom but a gaping hole.  REALLY gross and it couldn't eat/drink.  Was steadily weakening, so bear_sad ......

I have found the chicks survive much better otherwise if you keep them confined with their momma until they get quite a bit bigger.  Chickens can't count, so they will lose chicks in tall grass and weeds.  I am also certain that my barn cats got some of ours.  Do you have cats outside?  Plus, if you confine them you can give them a water dish that they won't be able to drown in. 

I have a good book on raising chickens.  I'll find it and see if I can find anything about the mysterious chick deaths.

Iowa
Website

Found some stuff Renae!  There's several diseases/illnesses that can affect chicks while still in their shells and after hatching.  I'll photocopy it from my book and email it to you.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahh Tracy He's a peach, he is! g015.gif  g070.gif

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

We live in a new neighborhood where codes and restrictions forbid livestock of any kind.  But grandfathered into being is the house across the street where they have a peacock (or two?), a turkey (which marches across the roof), and possibly the stupidest rooster in existence.  We call him "Retardo Rooster" (no hate mail please; I realize it's not PC, but it's a CHICKEN!!!) because he crows at ANY hour of the day EXCEPT dawn!

I have a friend on the outskirts of town where chickens are okay and she tells me they're really very intelligent and sort of like cats, and come when she calls them, and have distinct personalities.  Who'da thunk it?

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

It's a myth that roosters only crow at dawn....they crow any darn time they please - which is often. We also raise Plymouth Rock birds and usually get 25 roosters since we only keep them for the summer. The hens of course live with us much longer since they do produce eggs and we always keep a rooster when them.
I remember several years ago the roosters were running free and one took up station beneath our bedroom window every morning - at about 5! He disappeared one day and we had a nice chicken for supper! :twisted:

Marion

Iowa
Website

Yep....roosters do crow at all hours of the day. bear_wacko  bear_wacko I'm not sure I would say chickens are smart though.  About some things maybe, like knowing their names and coming to you for food (they know the hand that feeds them bear_grin ), and they do all have distinct personalities.  HOWEVER.....I would say that for the most part they're all like Renae's Valley Girls with their tiny chicken brains! :crackup: Very, very good comic entertainment though.  Couldn't live without my chickens! bear_thumb

Marion......I need you to come and 'take care of' a few roosters here. bear_grin   I'm too soft to have them for dinner, and my poor hens are going bald on the backs and top of their wings.  Too many roosters!!  Tried to get some more hens at the flea market yesterday, but they were all gone by the time we got there.  Darn it! bear_cry  My girls were counting on me........

Board footer