Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

baby1.jpg

NAIROBI (AFP) - A baby hippopotamus that survived the tsunami waves on the Kenyan coast has formed a strong bond with a giant male century-old tortoise, in an animal facility in the port city of Mombassa, officials said.

The hippopotamus, nicknamed Owen and weighing about 300 kilograms (650 pounds), was swept down Sabaki River into the Indian Ocean , then forced back to shore when tsunami waves struck the Kenyan coast on December 26, before wildlife rangers rescued him.

baby2.jpg

"It is incredible.  A-less-than-a-year-old hippo has adopted a male tortoise, about a century old, and the tortoise seems to be very happy with being a 'mother'," ecologist Paula Kahumbu, who is in charge of Lafarge Park, told AFP.

"After it was swept and lost its mother, the hippo was traumatized.  It had to look for something to be a surrogate mother.  Fortunately, it landed on the tortoise and established a strong bond.  They swim, eat and sleep together," the ecologist added.  "The hippo follows the tortoise exactly the way it follows its mother.  If somebody approaches the tortoise, the hippo becomes aggressive, as if protecting its biological mother," Kahumbu added.

baby3.jpg

"The hippo is a young baby, he was left at a very tender age and by nature, hippos are social animals that like to stay with their mothers for four years," he explained.

baby6.jpg

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

baby7.jpg

This is a real story that shows that our differences don't matter much when we need the comfort of another.  We could all learn a lesson from these two creatures of God, Look beyond the differences and find a way to walk the path together.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dontcha love it?  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Too cute  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Hugs
Vicki

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

So cute!!!  bear_original  bear_original

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Ohhhh I love it!!!!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Oh, that is precious!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Wonderful story thanks for sharing ........

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Life is beautiful :hug:  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

That is a heart warming story and so precious. Doesn't it just show how animals can get along under strain and stress. What a shame different races of people don't try the same, maybe we could have a kinder world under our feet.
I will save the pictures to my computer as they have given me such a warm fuzzy feeling today,   bear_wub  so nice after some of the sad things around lately. Thanks Tami!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower

chris009av Real Deal Bears

AAAwwww, that was so sweet and true too,
good on you for sharing that with us  bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original That sweet little hippo face says it all--thanks for making my day, Tami!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awwwww!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_cry

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

AHHHHH WHAT A SAD STORY, WITH A VERY HAPPY ENDING.... bear_original

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Tami - that is so beautiful! What a wonder-us example of love.  bear_wub
hugs kassie

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

How cute.  bear_wub  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_happy  I've even seen Owen's book for sale in Barnes & Noble.  If you get the chance to thumb through it...the photos are amazing, and the story is indeed heartwarming.   bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh, I love this story, Tami.  I am printing it out for my daughter whose favorite animal is a hippo.

Stellajella Wien

PRECIOUS! ThereĀ“s so much we can learn from animals!
Thank you Tamih for sharing this! :hug:

Gaby bear_flower

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Love it! I have been using the third picture down as my computer background. Thank you for posting the other pictures.
JeannieB bear_original

Board footer