Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

My little dog has had a setback.  bear_sad  bear_sad She was doing better, and then today was acting a bit depressed again.  That wasn't too worrisome, but this evening I noticed her tummy had bloated out like a balloon and was hard and painful for her when touched. bear_cry  I called the vet.......a new vet office this time since the only one on call after hours at our usual place is the vet I don't trust anymore. bear_wacko  This guy was great!  Had me bring her right in and wasn't the least bit snippy about it.......thank goodness too, cuz I was scared to death it was bloat and she had a twisted gut or something.  Very scary!! bear_cry
He checked Midget over very thoroughly (with a gentle, caring attitude too...that's a plus! bear_thumb ) and did not see any signs of torsion (twisted gut), but her tummy is full of gas (still not good bear_sad ).  So, three shots of various meds, including anti-inflammatories and pain meds.  Pills for the next week also.  And continuing with the ID soft dogfood.  If she goes down again after that, which I have a feeling she will.....it seems to be the way of things anymore bear_sad ..........she goes back to see him for blood tests looking for pancreatitis.  He really believes that's the problem due to her history. 

Anyway, watching my sweet pup for signs of shock indicating serious bloat.  I asked the vet to show me what to look for, which he did gladly.  Told me to call IMMEDIATELY if I see anything like that.  Fingers crossed that swelled tum goes down soon and nothing else happens. bear_cry

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Tracy,
     I'm sorry that Midge has had more problems, or continuing problems as seems to be the case.  None of us likes to see our fur babies in distress like that!  Here's hoping that the new vet can pinpoint the problem and do something for her.  Take care.
                                                     hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, I'm also hoping the best for her!  So glad this vet is much more caring and responsive!

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

poor baby! I am GLAD it is not bloat though. It sounds like this new guy might
just be the one to turn things around for her. He sounds like he was on the ball.

Best wishes for Midget to feel better!

Iowa
Website

:hug:  :hug: Thanks gals!  This really does stink........I hate not knowing what is wrong and not being able to fix things for my Midget. bear_cry  I still have this thought in the back of my mind that it's something far worse, like cancer that hasn't been found yet.  Something is very wrong. bear_cry   

I do really think a lot of the vet we saw tonight. bear_thumb   I am definitely going to stick with him regarding Midget.  Our usual vet office isn't as qualified anymore to treat her.

Iowa
Website

Crap!! bear_cry   I'm to be watching for signs of shock, indicating serious bloat.  Things to look for: 1. reddened whites of eyes, 2. pale gums with delayed capillary refill, 3. signs of distress, 4. rapid pulse, 5. shortness of breath

I just checked Midget again before she went to bed, and she showing signs of #1 and #2.  I thought I was imagining it, so checked three more times under better light.  The whites of her eyes do look more red than white at this point and her gums aren't as healthy a dark pink now......they're more of a pale, pinkish color and don't blanche much when pressed.  I'm going to check on her in a bit and see how she's doing.  I think this will be a long night for us......and we might be getting the vet out of bed before morning. bear_cry

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Tracy,
I'm so sorry that your Midget is feeling "ick" again I think you said that Midget was 6, what's her breed?  I know my Shepherd is more susceptible to Bloat (the internal twisting thing) because of her breed. I never knew about this thing until after we got her, so now I keep an anti gas on hand, like gas-x or mylanta.  In case she does ever get this bloat thing that stuff is suppose to buy me time to get to the vet. I found articles by googling it. 
If you think it's pancreatitis you might follow the treatment guidelines for that just in case, or at least ask your vet if it's an option he advises. They suggest withholding food and water for 24 hours and a full dehydration treatment.  (I'm lucky in that I have amazing vet facilities all around me, but when my one dog became ill it was online research that saved her from a *huge* medication issue..the emergency room vets missed it. My regular vet was not involved at that point.  Your her mum, you know her best, you can ask any questions you like for her  bear_wub ) Peteducation.com has some good tips.  With 4 dogs and 3 cats I know how horrible it is when a furkid gets sick...oh, the stories I could tell! 
Don't think the worst....the most important thing with any health issues (furry or human) is to remain positive.  I'll say a prayer to St Francis for your Midget.  He's quoted in my signature and he's my pal  bear_wub   With 7 animals running about my world..the Patron Saint of Animals is a good pal to have!  bear_original
~Chrissi  :hug: for you and  :hug: for Midget

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh, poor little Midget, I was hoping she was much better by now. I do hope this was just a small set back and she picks up soon.  bear_cry

Give her all the love you can Tracy, animals are just like us and need a lot of love.  bear_wub

Hugs Jane.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

fingers are crossed Tracy, and toes and eyes tooo....
hope she improves  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Oh, Tracy, I hope little Midge pulls through! I'm so glad you've found a really good vet.

Hopes and hugs to you both :hug:  :hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh poor Midget, I hope she feels better real soon....  bear_wub  :hug:

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

OOOO POOR MIDGET :hug:  BIG HUGS COMING HER WAY :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tracy-
Sorry to hear Midget is feeling bad again but I am SOOOOO glad you saw this vet! It will make whatever happens a bit easier. It sounds like you can know this guy is going to do all he can for her in a compassionate and respectful way.

Snuggles and kisses to Midget!
And a huge hug to you!
Daphne

Iowa
Website

Thanks girls! :hug:  :hug:   And a HUGE thanks to Chrissi for the mylanta info last night.  That helped A BUNCH! :hug:  :hug: The tummy has gone done to normal, or close to it, this morning and the eyes and gums look better too (could that have been from the pain maybe?).  Thank goodness!  Midget scared me half to death last night.  We ended up spending the night on the couch so I could better keep an eye on her.  I think she liked the extra snuggles too!

I'm going to check in with the new vet again this morning, but I think we are okay for the moment.  I so wish we knew what's going on.  All this has to be connected somehow. bear_sad

:hug:
Tracy

Stellajella Wien

Tracy, I wish you and Midget all the best! I keep my fingers crossed for the wee baby!!

Gaby bear_flower

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Tracy I am so glad to hear that Midge is feeling better this morning.  It sounds like this vet will be very helpful too.   Fingers crossed that he figures out what is wrong soon.   :hug:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Tracy, I'm so sorry to hear Midget is feeling bad again..   
I keep my fingers crossed for her.  :hug:

hugs
Marie

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Lots of hugs to poor Midget and by chance, she'll get better soon!

I cross my fingers for her.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Iowa
Website

Thanks girls....... Midget thanks you too! bear_wub  bear_wub She is still doing about the same as this morning.  Acting better, tum just a bit swollen.  I think we'll be okay this time! 

Chrissi-I missed your question earlier while in my panic. bear_happy Midget is a rat terrier, a breed NOT susceptible to bloat.  Very odd. bear_wacko She's not even thin.....quite the opposite really, the little chunk!  It must be connected somehow to the illness she's been fighting.

Board footer