Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

BLACKB2small.jpgI've completed a bear last night that I can't seem to take a picture of. He is solid black...black eyes, four types of black yarn crocheted together, black embroidered nose! He has so much personality, but the pictures are terrible! I have been trying outside light. Can anyone help?
JeannieB bear_cry

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Last year there was something on this, try searching although I'll see if I can find it. Paula All Bear might know. I was told a royal blue background can help and outside when its slightly overcast. Good luck.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Ah ha...I'm going in search of something royal blue! I remember something posted about it ,too.....but,haven't found it yet. Thanks for helping me look! bear_original
JeannieB

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Black is notoriously the most difficult colour to photograph as you tend to lose all the details. I would recommend that you don't use too much contrast in your background, choose a similar level of colour such as a mid grey , blue or brown, then use your spot meter button if you have one, so your camera measures the light on the subject. I would also use a piece of white card to bounce some light back at your bear so he is well lit, I prefer white card to tin foil as tin foil can produce a cold colour bias.....some photographers use a gold foil for a warmer tone.  For preference take your bear outside but don't photograph him in full sun as this will just make matters worse, perhaps wait till evening so the sun is not so high in the sky.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Thank you Jenny...my hubbie was standing behind me with a peice of tin-foil when we read your post! He just wadded it up. :crackup: I'll try the light reflection and solid background colors this evening! Maybe he'll be on the showcase tonight!!!
JeannieB bear_original

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

BB19951small.jpg:photo: Black bear photography update.....needless to say I am still working on it! :crackup:  :crackup: I would like to thank Albert for his input!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: .  I can't offer much help as I find black hard to photograph also.  Keep trying Jeannie, you'll get it !

chris009av Real Deal Bears

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Your puddy cat wants to get in on the action  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

What a lovely kitty....!!!

Try a darker background. (less contrasty)..if you use white for the background there is too much contrast with the black..I will see if I can find a black bear to photograph later and show you what I mean....I have to finish a rabbit though so it might not be possible!!

Board footer