Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi all,

I have pretty much detached myself from the topics at hand about feelings being hurt and whatnot, mostly because I never read the 'first' topic which is now closed, and I have only read most of the new, refreshed topic in which Melanie is sadly thinking about leaving us, not to mention others who have left or are thinking about it. 

I must say that at times I've felt a little apprehensive about saying some things or putting in my 'two cents' because someone might take what I said wrong, but that's beside the point.  For the most part, I just stay away fromt opics I might get myself in trouble with  :crackup:  and choose my words carefully in those that I do comment in.  I hope in true honesty that I've never offended anyone in my posts, and if I have PLEASE PLEASE PM me so that we can clear it up in a congenial way, because I most likely didn't mean what I said the way it might have been taken.  On to the point....

As I said, I've read over most of the post this evening that Melanie submitted (please don't leave melanie; your bears make me SMILE and I'd miss them here on TT, plus I'd miss YOU too!!) and just after reading it over, I went to another forum that I belong to, a needle felting forum.  I was surprized, amazed, and impressed by what they did on that forum.  There is a particular section for 'work gone awry' or advice on how to 'fix' something.  It's set up for those who want to post their work and get honest, to-the-point feedback and help with their work.  The submissions are astounding!  thousands of them (over time, of course) and what I read was wonderful.  People reacted and left advice and feedback honestly (I read things like 'wow, that's too bad it messed up' and sorry that it didn't turn out' and 'maybe you should try this.....') and no one got hissy about it!  The feedback was to the point (which is what I think most people really want when they ask for it, and not sugar coating), polite, and constructive.  Perhaps we could use a section like this?  Maybe?  Do I need to go back to my corner????  bear_tongue

I could very well be way off base.  Maybe this isn't even the problem (as I said, I never read the first topic).  I just know that, in my experience, when a lot of people are in a public forum all chitchatting together it makes for a big problem at times.  Especially women (for those of you who I just offended, I'm really sorry, but I think it's true!) If one person says something that was a bit uncouth or perhaps abrasive, people tend to come running to the defense, sticking up for someone or something that maybe didn't even need defending.  Then everyone wants to put in their two cents.  Maybe we just need to sit back, relax, and remember that not everyone is the same, and not everyone is going to say things the way you want them to.  You can spend your life getting bent out of shape about every little offense, or you can recognize that not everyone is articulate, not everyone has views like you, not everyone thinks ever-so-carefully before they speak and then shrug your shoulders and go on with life.  But it's not fair to the participants here on TT to have to bite their lip for fear of verbal assault from other members.

No one else may feel this way, but as this world is covered with inhabitants who are social and need some form of companionship, I don't like to 'get on anyone's bad side' and one of my worries is that I'll say the wrong thing and it will snowball into everyone having a hissy fit.  I hope I haven't done that here, but I thought I could suggest a partial remedy.

:hug: to you all, my TT friends,
Kimberly W.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kim.
     I like your suggestion about the "work gone awry" section.  Maybe we could call it "What's wrong with this"? Lol!  Honestly, there are times when I would love for another artist to look at something I'm stuck on, with a critical eye.  It's certainly worth discussing.

hugs,

Brenda

chris009av Real Deal Bears

I too like the thought of this section.
I do think that people DO want honest feedback.
So long as it is done in a positive frendly way.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Yes, absolutely!  Positive, but honest in a sincere way.  There is nothing wrong with being honest, as long as you aren't nasty or malicious about it.  There have been times that I've had a bear that 'just didn't look right' for some reason, and I'd love some honest feedback, instead of "Oh, he's just wonderful!" because I know he isn't!

BUT, TT rules should still apply.... Be considerate of your fellow artist, and if you are going to post your work in that section, then be prepared for honesty....

Kimberly W.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

That's a good idea! Maybe there should be a "warning" sign! My hubbie does the honest stuff with my bears, like "those eyes need to be surgically corrected!" and my all time favorite comment on the soccer panda was, "Have you ever even seen a soccer ball?!?"
It makes me work harder, not get mad. If real teddy bear people made comments and suggestions, I bet my bears would look fantastic!
Good thought Kim!
JeannieB bear_original

Board footer