Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Too-much-mohair-3.jpgChaddDakota2-2.jpgChadd-3.jpgI went to Deborah Burnham's today and had a blast.  I learned that her two horses, Slim and Clancy love mints and were pushing each other out of the way to be first in line LOL!  I'm sorry I didn't have my camera with me at that point.

Her two boxers Chadd and Dakota, spent the rest of the day saying hello, and just generally trying to be where the action was! LOL!  What beautiful dogs.  When it came time to check out her workroom and her mohair stash, I was stunned - this girl has enough mohair to last ten years.  This is only one of three cupboards!  She was so sweet to give me some new stuff to try!  Anyway, it was such a fun day - thanks Deb!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Can anyone have too much mohair?  I don't THINK so!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Nope, can never, ever have too much mohair.  What I would like to get from you girls is some tips in good excuses for my husband for reasons for buying more.  When a new package arrives he says, but you have already got a shelf full.  It is very hard to explain that when you see a new colour or style, it is a must have.

I have actually gone to the lengths of leaving a package in the boot of my car until the next day so that I can smuggle it in unnoticed.  Then I rearrange the new lot into my stash, and it goes unnoticed.  Am I a total nut, or do other girls have various strategies.  My husband is wonderful, he just doesn't understand my bear addiction.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Christine.... you know you're a bear artist when.....
you hide the shipments of mohair and supplies in the bushes until the coast is clear!  :crackup:
I explained it once that it's like a mechanic or carpenter having tools... you must have a vast selection of tools so that you are prepared for every kind of project that comes up. A bear artist must have a vast array of mohair for an order that might come in or wonderful new design that must be made in a particular kind of mohair! I've got tons of excuses if you need one! Though after about a year my hubby gave up on questioning the boxes that came!

Brenda..... Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Sue Ann..... that would be a great big

NO

!!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I don't have a hubby so I can do what I like hehe  bear_tongue  I do feel guilty when I see the outcome of all my clicks on the buy it now buttons tho bear_ermm   surely it can't come to that much moeny!!
You can never have enough mohair!!!!  I'm sure that soon I will have no closet space for clothes lol

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

I think teddy artists are like quilters when it comes to mohair...sometimes I feel I must be a halfbreed because I have a stash of both mohair AND fabric.

WildCatDancer wrote:

His only plaint now is "Where we going to put it" which is sadly a very valid point.

Like Renae, I'm getting to the stage of where to put it! I've used both the robes in my kids old rooms for fabrics and my mohair stand is full to the brim.  bear_grin

BonnieBears wrote:

I have actually gone to the lengths of leaving a package in the boot of my car until the next day so that I can smuggle it in unnoticed.  Then I rearrange the new lot into my stash, and it goes unnoticed.

Been there Christine, but I guess I'm pretty lucky now...or maybe hubby has just gotten passed worrying about how much mohair I buy...but he doesn't complain anymore...he just accepts that it's the way of things!  :pray: Thank you Lord!

:hug:
Sandi

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

you guys can store your mohair overflow at my house if you want to  bear_grin  :crackup:  :dance:
I am the very spirit of generosity am I not???  bear_innocent  bear_whistle

I do love to order some & then I forget what exactly I am going to get, & opening the
box is like Christmas except I already know I am only getting stuff that I love. rofl  bear_laugh

I have a boxer (wearing boxer boxers, yet) to guard the mohair even!
105037424_0fbdc9c219.jpg
He is a tolerant boy  :crackup:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA
SueAnn wrote:

Can anyone have too much mohair?  I don't THINK so!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

My sentiments exactly Sueann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_grin
Wendy bear_thumb

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Wel I only have a little mohair stash but it seems to be growing slowly!!  I keep thinking I won't buy any until I use up some and I use a piece and just lately buy 4 more!!
Hubby just rolls his eyes and doesn't say a word bless his soul he understands as he has birds!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Kim,
What a good Boxer in boxers you have!!  Such a sweet face and so tolerant....he's got that "oh no, I just know this is going to wind up on the internet somewhere" look on his face. :crackup:

~Chrissi

Kim,
     Your boy looks like he could be a baby of Deb's two.  He has the floppy ears of Dakota and the darker coat like Chadd LOL!  He must be very tolerant.

hugs,

Brenda

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I have actually gone to the lengths of leaving a package in the boot of my car until the next day so that I can smuggle it in unnoticed.

Christine, I'm glad that I was not the only one. :hug:  :crackup:

A bear artist must have a vast array of mohair for an order that might come in or wonderful new design that must be made in a particular kind of mohair!

Daphne, that is so true and I will stick to this excuse from now on!  bear_laugh 

Brenda: Thanks for sharing your photos.
Chadd and Dakota are truly beautiful dogs !!  bear_flower

Kim: I love your humor.  bear_laugh 
        He is gorgeous dog !

Sue-Ann: no way!  :crackup: 

Hugs
Marie

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Thank you girls, you have made me feel very "normal" with my mohair obsession.  Kim, that is the most beautiful picture of your dog in his boxer shorts.  What a patient boy he is.  He can come and guard my stash anytime!!

knuffelbear Claudia's Knuffelbaeren
Heinsberg
SueAnn wrote:

bear_grin That's my opinion too! You never can have too much mohair  bear_grin

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL Great topic - glad to hear that you had a great time - oh what fun to play in OTHER people's mohair, and NO you can never have too much mohair!

Danni

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

There's a line in a song that says "I ain't never had too much fun".  Rewrite that "I ain't never had too much mohair". 

Love those dogs.  I have a dog who is a boxer/lab mix.  He is 100 lbs. of clown.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
chrissibrinkley wrote:

Kim,
....he's got that "oh no, I just know this is going to wind up on the internet somewhere" look on his face.
~Chrissi

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   Chrissi... that nearly made me pee my pants!

Kim P.... your Boxer is adorable!  One of our neighbors has one, and my little ones were SO scared of "Stella" at first just because she's fairly big & barks, etc.... not at all like the little ankle biting dogs they are used to.... I've realy come to just LOVE Stella though... I don't know if it's just Stella, or if most Boxers are like this, but everytime one of the kids tries to cross into an area of the neighborhood where they are not supposed to be, she barks her head off until an adult comes out!  It's awsome!  Like a canine babysitter! 

Brenda... what heaven!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:crackup:  :crackup: When I saw the title of this thread, I thought someone had gone seriously crackers bear_wacko and was handing out mohair. Dang! bear_cry

I have actually gone to the lengths of leaving a package in the boot of my car until the next day so that I can smuggle it in unnoticed.  Then I rearrange the new lot into my stash, and it goes unnoticed.  Am I a total nut, or do other girls have various strategies.  My husband is wonderful, he just doesn't understand my bear addiction.

Oh yes. You need to get rid of the boxes/bags fast. They're a dead giveaway. And never, ever, misplace an invoice. Husbands find them by natural instinct.

I've been working on my dear Hubs for a year, and he's finally beginning to come around. I tell him that I need a variety of mohair colors and styles for "inspiration".  bear_cool He has no idea what I'm talking about, since he's strictly a make do or do without type, but he's seen me in a 'mohair mope' and doesn't want to suffer through another one.

Of course, the problem is that now I've got a lot more inspiration than time, but them's the breaks. I can deal.

The absolute worst  is when Hubs beats me to the door at delivery time and has to pay the taxes and duty himself.

Ack. Busted. bear_ermm

This process involves lots of silent wallet perusal, eyebrow action, and sighing.  bear_sad

The best I can do on these occasions is slink guiltily downstairs on tippy-toe with my stash, trying hard not to chortle. :crackup:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Luckily my husband has a hoarder instinct, although it's for lumber and books! He never batts an eye when I get more mohair.

Marion

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

Brenda you naughty girl showing my drawers in such a public forum :crackup:  :crackup:  After seeing how messy I had let them get I had a strong urge to tidy up, then thought naaaa why bother :redface: Now that my secret has been brought out in to the open, (I'm a messy mohair keeper), I'll just let sleeping dogs lie. bear_grin    I feel so spoiled but when a gal feels the creative urge comin on and needs a mohair fix there should be plenty at her disposal. 

My hubby has no say in how much I spend on my addiction cause it's all my own money he just shakes his head and smiles.  I used to get the, I thought you weren't going to buy any more of that stuff, can't you find what your looking for in that stash, to which I reply   bear_angry and the evil hoarder stare manages to stop him in his tracks once again, or maybe it's the hissing not sure might be the combination of the two. That's right buddy back away from the mohair pile if you wish to live another day.  However he does have a small point, while playing in my mohair with Brenda I did find a lot of stuff I didn't know I had buried deep in my pile. HMMMMM won't tell him that though will we.

Brenda I had a wonderful day I'm so glad you enjoyed all my 4 legged kids. I know how overwhelming they can be, big ole pains in the behind they are.  Brenda is one tolerant gal getting bitten by nasty Binx then drooled and slobbered on by the stinky boxers, they wouldn't give her a moments rest.  They know a good people when they smell them. 

I always enjoy Benda's company and  I will miss our tea times, who am I gonna talk teddies with bear_cry B R E N D A I'm gonna miss ya, you have been an inspiration and a true friend Love ya girly and I really mean that. 
Can't wait to see your new house and Karen's and My bedroom bear_grin , get cracking I feel a road trip commin on  :dance:  :dance:

Hugs to you from me and all the 4 leggers.

Aw Deb, thanks so much - I will definitely miss you, girl!  I've learned lots and shared lots and that's what was so much fun!

As for Binx, heck at least she hissed first LOL!  My cat, Thumper, doesn't give a person that kind of luxury.  He bites with no warning at all!!  If the neighbourhood kids see a new child headiing to pet him, they all yell "don't touch Thumper - he bites!"  Well trained bunch of ankle biters in our subdivision LOL!

I still can't get over the pushing and shoving Slim and Clancy did for the English mints - it was hilarious.  Thanks again for the new mohair - now I will only have to find time to make bears cuz it won't be for a while, when we are settled.  Talk to you soon.
                                                   hugs,

Brenda

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

you guys are a wicked wicked influence.....making me want to do an order of mohair!
I have some I want to experiment with dyeing though, so I will resist - for the moment  :twisted:

I am glad that Ticey's sweetness & silliness shows so well in his picture. I don't know
if ALL boxers are like that, but he LOVES little children & when he was my sister's dog
he did watch so carefully over the baby. Boxers I have met have all been so very huggy,
you can't help but love them. Goofy as can be but when they come up & lean their chest
against you with their big ol chin on your shoulder, they are takin their hugs very seriously!  bear_wub

Kim,
     I agree - I think Boxers are amazing dogs.  I've known quite a few in the past few years, and Deb's two were no exception.  Both Chadd and Dakota were very affectionate, and if one thought the other one was getting an extra pat, the other would push under my arm to be included.  Made me feel really special!

hugs,

Brenda

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I note not ONE of you ladies has displayed any real guilt feelings

AS IF, Renae . . . these are work-related expenses, after all!

Deb Upstate New York

Lovely boxers; I'm going to share pics w/ my daughter.  She loves them.

Great lot of mohair!  Too many to choose from!

Pages:

Board footer