Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've been tossing around the idea of doing an inset muzzle of another color or even fabric type on a future bear.

I'm sure I could figure out how to simply slice off the "nose" part of the existing pattern piece; add the appropriate seam allowance; and stitch together.

What I'd love help and advice about, though, is precisely WHERE to slice off the "nose" piece.

I've found that sometimes, it takes a lot of trial and error to get proportions just right and I'm afraid that I will slice off too much, or not enough, or at the "wrong" angle, and end up with something that looks... not right.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or maybe even any pattern pieces with inset muzzles, to share?

Obviously, the gusset would be "sliced", too.  Or... would it?  I guess it depends on look you're after.

Looking forward to hearing your input!  And thanks in advance.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I have done an inset muzzle and I attached it just beyond the bend in the muzzle towards the nose.Make sure you add on a bit like you do to attach the paw pads.There is a pattern by Peter Weston(?) in my Australian Bear magazine,I'll look it up and see if it's any different.I'm sure you will have lots more advice though.
Blessings,Shari.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi Shelli. I have being thinking of trying this. I have a lovely picture on my wall of a dark bear with a beige muzzle. I have looked in Nancy Tillberg's 101 bears to make and on page 114 she gives some advice on pattern slicing. Throughout the book there are bears with different coloured muzzles.

With your eye style maybe go up to the top of eyes with the muzzle colour on the gusset head piece. Then on the side pieces where you would usually scissor sculp to? Page 115 gives you some ides. Good luck it will probably still be trial and error!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shelli this is a since to do.  You can either cut your pattern pieces like you said, and add the appropriate seam allowances or you can make the inset all one peice, so ther are no seams on the sides of the nose.  To design this piece you can start by copying your original pattern, cut the pices you want to inset and lay them side by side and redraw around them to form one piece instead of having three.

Hope this makes sense...I am sure you all would have figured this out as smart as you all are.:D

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

:rolleyes:Doh! Why did'nt I think of that. I am painting my workroom at the moment and the paint fumes haves dulled my brain!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey Judi, that IS a great idea!  It's one of those, "Now why didn't I think of that" ideas that this forum, and others like it, are so good for.  Thank you.

PS  Welcome back, hope your vacation was a blast!

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Hi,   I have made my bears for many years with an inset piece of a short mohair.  I started this because I hate shavng.  I do it like Judi .. all in one piece so there are no side seams on the nose.  Also, did a lot of trial and error  to get the shapes I want. 
    Janet

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Welcome back, Judi . . . hope you had a great time!  You've been missed, my friend!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I have tried the one piece muzzle, and the three piece head and it worked well for me the muzzle sat every neatly.   Good luck Shelli, I am sure you will get some wonderful results with it.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

My patterns have an almost right angle at the eye area. I recently tried an inset muzzle and lost all the shaping at the eyes, which resulted in a much bigger and deeper muzzle. I was really diappointed with the result...guess I'll have to try, try again.
The thing is..how do you retain that shaping when using an inset muzzle? Anyone?

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi Haley...I don't know why your pattern is doing that. ????

I used one of my  regular 3 piece head patterns and layed them out on the table.

Now.... I know where the eye posts and the bottom of the eye should be  so....I planned to draw my line straight across the center head pattern piece for seperation just under the bottom of the eyes ....

Next, that line will continue on the side head pattern piece so ....draw that line to curve around that piece and end up under the " chin " area . I think maybe it may have been here where you lost the eye definition ....if you draw too far out on the sides after the eye place you may get a huge muzzle...so start your curve right after you pass the eye spot.
Actually..if you can imagine a bears face with a rubber band around the muzzle( just under the eyes) that will give you an idea of how to draw the curve.

OK...so get some tracing paper and trace your pattern pieces adding seams, then glue them to cereal cardboard and you are done ! Mark  some match up dots where the muzzle should  match the head seams above.

One thing is you may notice when you make up this muzzle ... that the nose end may look kind of pointy...just fold it over inside and stitch...you can figure out how to draft that off later, its easy.....Winney

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi everybody!
I just discovered this forum after the other one went rather quiet and I am trying to catch up on discussions. The one-piece inset muzzle seems like a great idea, but what about fur direction? Wouldn't the nap go downwards on one side and upwards on the other? Perhaps you are only doing it with very short fabrics which have almost no direction?

Hugs

Sabine

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Nap direction...cut the one piece muzzle so the nap points up  towards his eyes.

When it is sewen in... that piece wraps around ...the seam ends up at the chin.

If you want to see this happen first... cut your piece out of muslin or even paper...mark the directional arrows on it in several places then hold it up to the bear, wrap it around...see?

Yes, a lot of bear patterns use short fur but it works in any length fur to....Winney

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Of course Winney, why didn't I think of that? Must be my cold (in the middle of summer, sigh) that's giving me a mushy brain. Need to blame something LOL. Thanks!

Sabine

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

A big welcome to the board, Sabine!!  I've been away for awhile, but want to say I'm glad you joined us!  Cute avatar!!

Board footer