Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hello,
I have traced my pattern and cut out all my material parts for my first bear last night. This may be a really "dumb" question...but, when I crochet a bear leg I sew the ultra suede paw pad on top of the crochet material foot. Do I use the fur to cut out a foot and sew a paw pad on top...or do I sew the ultra suede paw pad directly to the leg??? Last night I cut out the paw pads using ultra suede....it seems so strange to me!?
        Bear Hugs,
JeannieB bear_original

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi Jeannie,

I sew ultrasuede straight onto the leg to make up the foot. I've never heard of doing it the way you do when crocheting...but the again - I've never croched a bear...only blankets!!!  bear_tongue

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Thank you, Gemma!
  Thats what I wanted to hear! It makes sense. I am loving this!  bear_original
   JeannieB bear_original

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Yup, Jeannie sew it to the bottom of the legs.  Sew the leg pieces with right sides together leaving the opening for turning and stuffing,  then attach the pad to the bottom to create the sole . I highly recommend using the alligator clips if you can.  They are so much easier than pins in my opinion.     

I can't WAIT to see your bear !  I am so excited !!!    bear_thumb

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Oh, thankyou Tammy! I looked up alligator pins to see them...great idea!! I have clothes pins and hair barrettes on the table :crackup:  :crackup: they are not working and the pins keep sticking me bear_angry  I have basted all the parts and have sewn all the easy parts! I have spent the last hour sewing puffy ultra suede ear linings. I will probably not do that again!
   Having fun,
JeannieB bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I can't WAIT to see your bear !  I am so excited !!!

bear_original Me too, Jeannie--take your time, but hurry up!! :crackup:

I agree about the nasty pins. On bigger parts I might use the alligator clips, but on the smaller parts I'd much rather baste than pin, and it doesn't seem to take any longer. bear_thumb

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Me too Eileen! I can kinda tell what it will look like already.
    Thank you,
JeannieB bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Jeannie, Ther is never a dumb question :hug:   You are starting a new  and exciting adventure by creating bears.  I have been at this for 7 years and I am still learning all the time. 

I can't really add to what the others have said except for you could also use the fur fabric to make a paw pad. Trimmed down mohair can make some nice pads.

Have fun and play! bear_original

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Thank you Judi! I am really enjoying this! My bear legs are beautiful! The head came together easier...not sure why I made the legs first?!? I always crochet the head first.
  This is a real test of TT. I do not have a book...I've never "sewn" anything...I used a free,hand-stitch guide,from a web site. No sewing machine....Only what I've been reading on TT for many months. Now all that stuff is making sense. Until I got my pattern from Intercal,I believed a gussett was something that was sewn under a bears bottom! :crackup:  :crackup:
I went back to read those posts...now it makes sense!
     Having fun,
JeannieB bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

First of al:  There is no such thing as a dumb question.  Every single one of us started at the begining. c014.gif

I have used all sorts of things for paw pads as well as the inner ear.  On my mink bears I used the satin from the lining of the coat, if it is in good enough condition, and I line it with iron on fusable to stabilize it and strengthen it. g010.gif

Don't be afraid to experiment.  When I first started and wasn't sure what I was doing I would make a bear out of left over quilting fabric....to understand the pattern....

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Thanks Dilu, bear_original
It's hard for me to imagine the "pros" making a first bear!?! That satin lining in coats is the best feeling stuff...great idea to use it in the bear! Did using  quilting material for understanding a pattern lead you into making the Gollies?
    Jeannie B bear_original

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Jeannie,

I've been following this thread and I know you already know I'm excited to see your first bear, but I thought I'd pop in and cheerlead for you too!  I'm so excited to see your first bear.... I can't wait!  Will you post it in the showcase, or here?

Kimberly W.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jennie,

Nope, but I realized while I was using the quilting fabrics that, 'Hey....this would make a great doll dress.....'

What led me to making gollies was this uncontrolable obsession after seeing my first real golly in

TB&F.

Thank you Mindy bear_wub My husband thanks you too  :crackup:  :crackup:

After the first couple of gollies I had a hard time going back to bears....now I mostly make mini bears to keep the gollies happy, but i do have to sable bears cut out and in a box wondering if I am ever going to sew them up! :redface: I promised them sometime before I die.....

so how are you coming!  We are all rooting for you!  And don't forget....we simply have to have pictures!

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Dilu,
Your clothes are fantastic! I always want to be doing what the Gollies are doing, they seem to always be having fun! I have never seen a teddy magazine...except the pages that are scanned here on TT. Maybe I will get a subscription to TB&F, too.
     JeannieB bear_original

Kimberly,
I have a head, legs, ears and one arm!! I made my own pattern for the tail...since I think it needs one. I scissor trimmed the face and shaded around the eyes and nose.....My hubbie says I am addicted to bears! He's right! I am hoping to finish tomorrow. I also have in my mind to use a peice of the longer fur for a tummy...not sure, yet. There are soooo many possibilities....
Also, I don't really know where to put it! Showcase or here?? My hubbie wants it sold so I can get some more stuff, but I don't have e-bay or anything...and it is someone elses pattern. I didn't think you could sell a bear using a pattern that you didn't create?
       JeannieB bear_original

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Update for first bear....I finally finished him today! I will be posting the "chubby one" on the showcase later tonight. bear_original
      JeannieB bear_original

Board footer