Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Deb Upstate New York

I understand that you can put your old 35mm negatives to a cd with the use of a transparency scanner.  Does anyone do this?  Does it also require software?

Deb

K Pawz Guest

I have an Epson scanner that does this, I haven't tried it, but the option is there with the scanner software in the menu, and it came with a special insert for the scanner for negatives.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Krista

sarahjane Brisbane

As long as you have a cd burner and the scanner software installed I think you should be ok  bear_original

Stellajella Wien

Deb, I have an Epson scanner, too, that can do it and I tried it but the outcome is rather sad.
I´ve been fiddling abround with that thing to improve the quality but... bear_cry

Best thing would probably be to bring them to a professional and have them put on cd- might cost a bit but I guess it´s worth it....

Gaby bear_flower

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Rather than do it yourself...
hire the neighborhood computer geek to do it for you...
or atleast have him/her give you lessons on how to do it.
I have that option with my scanner and have never had ch luck with it.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Deb

In my experience, you need either a special negative scanner or a professional scanner with negative holders. You can't just put them on the regular scanner glass and do it, the outcome will be less than desirable. The scanner should have a high resolution, because the negatives are small and you want to blow them up by several hundred percent. The scanner software should allow you to fine tune the scan, e.g. contrast, gamma, etc.

Deb Upstate New York
Stellajella wrote:

Deb, I have an Epson scanner, too, that can do it and I tried it but the outcome is rather sad.
I´ve been fiddling abround with that thing to improve the quality but... bear_cry

Best thing would probably be to bring them to a professional and have them put on cd- might cost a bit but I guess it´s worth it....

Hey Gaby, what model is that?  I've been doing some looking around and reading reviews on some of the Epsons.  BUT ... I found a local photo shop who will scan for 75 cents per negative strip ... whereas the sendaway places I've looked at want 75 cents per picture.  Just curious which model you had that you weren't impressed with.  Thanks.

sarahjane Brisbane

Hi Deb
I have a canon scanner that does negatives and does a great job...you have to use all the attachments correctly of course but overall the quality is wonderful, it's a bit slower than scanning your normal photos though....if you can get someone else to do it that would be easier but if like us you have thousands on negatives then its much more cost effective to do it yourself  bear_grin

Board footer