Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yeah Judi!!!!!  Thank You Thank You

What we have on this site is the Louvre of teddies!
Remember you are putting the pictures up to inspire us therefore it more than fits in with the website purpose....ah who cares; keep them coming all of you!

Dilu

Hey did you guys add spell check just for me?  Mostly my problem is this .....patch.  I tried it  the spell check and had to have it skip almost every word it pulled up-  it wanted "daddies" for teddies....I mean, get real!

Listing Service Listing Service
My Mother
Shop

You can get your own free spell checker for Internet Explorer at www.ieSpell.com.  You can add words/names/etc to the dictionary as you go.  Just right click the box you are typing in and choose 'check spelling'.
Dale

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Dale is like the Shell Answer Man!  Dale, you're better than the yellow pages.  Great to have you here!

Dilu, I think your spelling is right on...at least I have not seen any errors...(I'm a typo queen ).
Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments.  If you make any real fur bears please share them with us.  I love pictures!
Donna, the mink bear is 18" tall.  She is made from a mink stole also...but a fairly good sized one.  What I do is lay out the muslin pieces on the back side of the fur to make sure everything fits before cutting.:D

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Judi Sugar Babe gal,

Thanks so much for the encouragement!  I'll be giving 'er a try soon!  And I have to say "WOW!"  I've always admired your bears -- you do awesome work!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hey Dale,

Did you guys just add the Spell Check button for Dilu?  Or was it there all along?  I just noticed it! bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Quy, the behind-the-scenes-tech-genius-guy, added the Spell Checker on the sly last weekend.  He didn't mention adding it specifically for patchy Dilu, but then, he's a politically correct kind of guy as far as I can tell...!!! :P:P:P

Actually, as we were starting the board up and tossing around ideas about how to make it friendly and fabulous and fun, Dale mentioned that it might be nice to have a spell check feature.  So we have both Quy AND Dale to thank...

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I found something that makes a great " fur picker outer " I use a seam ripper...but  use the longer prong end the opposite way to pull the fur out with ( not against the sharp slot )...it is avantageous because you have something firm like a handle to grip onto.
Around the foot or paw pad I find if you slide that point under the fur and draw the fur  out going in the "opposite" direction instead of popping it up and out.... it comes out better....try it, it works for me...Winney

Great Idea Winney!

I have several seam rippers that are too dull for ripping seams.  Its hard to believe you can wear out a seam ripper.  I'll be tackleing my second of three sable bears tomarrow.

Timely advice too!

Dilu

White City, Oregon

I wasn't too sure if I described that well enough for the readers, anyone have any questions ?

Another thing I found out that helps to get that linning out faster is instead of picking each thread out with a seam ripper ,I lay the stole on the patio table outside flat ( fur down ) then I carefully rip open a small section to get started

Lay your open scissor blade flat but UP against the cloth / stitching line ( not the fur )  hold the stole a little taunt and slide that blade against the stitches ...you can really seperate that linening a lot faster.

Sometimes it works and sometimes the fur garment is stitched together in such a way that you can't do this easily, like everything else that has its variables ............Winney

Hi everybody- Winney great idea-I do it on the floor- but that's basically because I'm a lazybuttbear.  I don't want to have to clean the table first.  I vacuume every single morning, without fail- but with 2 cats, 1 parrot, one husband ( they wont let me have more!) and umpteen teds hanging around I have to vacuume or get lost in the furfuzzhair.

And don't forget to consider using the lining, if its in good condition, for pads and inner ears.  Some of the linings are absolutely beautiful.

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You vacuum EVERY DAY??? 

shocked.jpg

White City, Oregon

Great toon Shelli, he, he....my daughter in law vacumes everyday too but she is a bit of a fussy housekeeper..Winney

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

My sentiments exactly Shelli :D

The only person I know who vacuums every day is my sister in Missouri, who has 8 border collies (she runs a rescue service) and 6 horses (not in house, but . . .)

I have to go over the carpets with a wire brush before vacuuming. Maybe if I tried vacuuming more often?

Eileen

Shelli, Winney, Eileen.

You guys made me laugh  Especially the toon-  been taking lessons from Dale?

I have bad allergies and like Winney I have a bit of a lung problem so this helps keep the dander and dust down, and enables me to keep my live fur babies. 

Also I have a very small house- less than 1000 square feet.  And a good portion of those feet are round since the house is round.  bear_original  I call this "choosing your battles"  and am willing to pay the price, of oh say 20 min a day, to get the benefit-like breathing...

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Well said, Dilu :)

You're right, of course. I've got an old 3-storey 5 bedroom barn which I love, but it takes all day to vacuum, what with the clutter and emptying the bagless compartment and whacking the stuff out of the hepa filter every few minutes.

Still--now that I know (Judi?) that it's possible to felt fur fluff and doggy/kitty/rabbit hair, I might try harder.

I took a two-day cold turkey break from bearing, just to clean up, and I think I've opened enough space to get the vacuum cleaner through. Maybe 30 minutes of cleaning for 1 hour of bearing? Sounds fair enough. Or two hours of bearing, if I really move! :lol:

Eileen

Eileen,

Yikes!  your house sounds wonderfully huge.....I don't blame you one little bit.

Felting kitty fur?  Are you serious?  When we brush these little guys   bear_tongue    we get handfulls-I've been throwing it away!  What was I thinking?!?!?!:rolleyes:

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I've never actually needle-felted, but I've got some needles and wool roving. I need to learn more, though. I take it that guard hairs don't work, but I need to find out how short the usable bits can be. :/

Yes, it's a big house, built in 1911--we bought big 26 years ago, when the house needed a LOT of work and the neighborhood was very, very unfashionable--full of Eastern European immigrants who, in those days, scared the good citizens of uptight Toronto. But we loved the house, and the 400-acre park less than a block away and, for that matter, the neighbors! I've been renovating/restoring inch by inch ever since. Now we have 3 grown children, including one son-in-law at home, plus all their furniture, cats, etc. They couldn't afford apartments AND full-time school. The one daughter living downtown left all her old furniture behind and bought new!! (Anybody need furniture?) bear_laugh

I work in a fixed-up corner of the basement with my plant nursery and my bear stuff and my computer and my currently gridlocked woodworking shop. I did have the laundry room, but my youngest couldn't study in her room, which is full of noisy animals, so . . . she learned to study and do laundry at the same time! bear_laugh I've got a cold room for furs and all sorts of random storage. Emphasis on the random--an ancient sideboard, assorted chests of drawers, plastic boxes, baskets. My plant nursery sits on an old cast iron Bi-Oven that came with the house--gas burners and a woodburning oven. Bizarro-Shop!

I'm working up to spring cleaning, though. I have an audiobook called "Talking Dirty With the Queen of Clean". I think it counts to listen to that!!

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I HATE HOUSE CLEANING.  I have a cleaning lady who comes every other week to clean my bathrooms and do all our floors....we recently added a 900 sq ft to our house.....but I do do the laundry, and the vaccuuming and take care of three kids, one who is 2 1/2, and help with our cows when needed(cows!!!! now that is work..eeehhhh)...having someone come in to clean was my hubby's idea so I could have more time to work on my art/bears.  But I find myself cleaning ..a lot... just before she comes ....LOL LOL LOL!  Well, at least it gets our house cleaned.

I can't beleive how much cats can shed!!!!!  Our 9 pound dog  does not shed at all but the cats!!!!!  We have a short haired and a long haired cat, two of them.  They each are bigger than our dog.  I have not tried felting thier fur but I think I may give it go just to see what happens. 

Eileen , you don't need to cut up the fur fibers.  If youknow how to 'card' , that would remove the guard hairs.  I don't know how to do carding and don't even want to try.  What I would do is just have at it....just needle felt the brushings from my cat and if any guard hairs are sticking out , then cut them off flush with your work.  I have needle felted arctic fox fur and is was quite slippery to work with , unlike most wool.  It worked okay but I like wool more.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Judi, I'll try 'er. Fortunately for my lacerated fingers, I've got lots of foam chunks left over from reupholstering. And the hubs asked why I didn't throw it away. Hahahaha. Vindication!!! bear_laugh  I guess it came as rather a shock to a reasonable man, when his wife announced out of the blue that she'd decided to become a bear artist, and started buying fur coats and glass eyes. He's doing pretty well, all considered.

I've been experimenting with carding, using 2 old dog brushes (vindication again!!). It seems to work. I'd like to be able to add accents to bears, not necessarily to make whole animals.

Judi, I think that if you're caring for 3 kids plus dog, cats, cows (love cows) and husband, PLUS making those glorious bears, you ought to get FREE housekeeping from somebody. I had a housekeeper for a time in another life (married to Mr. Wrong in Houston), but she wasn't altogether right in the head (played hide the can opener, etc.). bear_ermm Unfortunately, she was the only one I could find who would put up with a rather cranky German Shepherd.

Great advice about the guard hairs!! I'd hate to have to pick them out. Whiskers ditto?

Rabbits are the worst shedders, but long-haired cats are supershedders--they have the best-developed undercoats. I have one that's long-haired in the winter and short-haired in the summer. Two other long-hairs and two short-hairs. You can imagine the mess. At this season I dump enough hair from my vacuum cleaner to make a whole new cat . . . had to get a hardbody vac because the Jack Russell Terrorist kept attacking the fabric-bodied one.

Eileen

You guys are too funny.  I bought a needle felting kit but haven't opened it yet.  I guess I could at least read the instructions....now let me see, we do the needle felting after the fur is off the cats?:lol:

Here kitty... kitty... kitty

Dilu

Relax PETA People....I was joking....;)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin:lol: Dilu, you are a riot, girl--made me drop my glass eye!!! bear_grin:lol:

Actually, it's hard enough to brush my collie/g. shepherd (cats are ok), much less needlefelt her. She's very touchy about her fur (wonder why?). Her tail hasn't been properly brushed in 14 years! We just do a sort of combover to hide the tangles. This summer, however, she's going to a groomer for a serious trim, and I want the leavings.

Come to think of it, has anyone thought of asking a groomer for the shorn fur? I might even pick up a broom for that.

Eileen

Board footer