Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just discovered a cheap way to get cotter pins and mini washers!  I had to share!!!  I get my cotter pins at Home Depot (I forget what size they are) and I get my mini washers (#2 size) at a shop where they sell remote control cars, apparently they use the mini washers for the engines of the little race cars!  It is a hobby shop.  I just thought I would share this little tidbit bear_laugh

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Thanks Kim

I've been wanting to change my jointing on the little gollikins and bears-

Dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

SURE!!! I thought I would share since I had some difficulty finding such teeny little washers!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

What a great bit of info, Kim :D

Washers in the right size aren't the easiest things to find, and just TRY explaining what they're for to your average local hardware guy. bear_tongue even when you've known him for 20+ years and he knows you're fairly straight . . .

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh..I have a neat tip I got from somewhere for very tiny bears...use earring posts you can get them at Michaels in the jewlery isle .
You would use the disc with the post inside the arm.... then insert it thru to the inside of the body .
Then slide on the earring back piece..you could curl the end of the post into a U shape to keep it from sliding of the post. ....Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WOW - I would never have thought of that!  THANKS!

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Well..I can see that we have to get this topic going!! I love the little ones and I will like to see more pictures and chats in here!!
Come on...Lets the wee ones' pictures start coming!! bear_thumb 000_0757.jpg
Tiny bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Well I know this post is older, but I was reading through some of the suggestions about mini cotter pins and washers. For real itty bitty bears I use sequins and wire. Cut a piece of wire, put a bead through it and fold wire in half. thread this through the sequin (I use about three stacked)  like a normal jointing process. on the other side, use more sequins and curl like you would normally.

Just my two cents...

Michelle

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

WOW! That is a good one!! I just posted a picture of a wee one i made using the system created by Jody Falk (  a small bottom) . Have you see it? If you are making a really wee one and you do not find a small enough bottom to use, it could be done your way!  Here is a picture of a Mom and her baby I made a couple of weeks ago . The baby is a wee one, like you can see and I jointed her using tread but, what you are saying  is much better!  I wish a knew  two weeks ago! Thanks!000_0847.jpg Lets keep on talking a about the wee ones in here. I love them!
Have a wonderful day!
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Gladys: What  cutie pies they are!!! Oh, I just love mini's...Yes, the wire and sequins are cheap and wonderful. I use this method to joint the head to the body. I use string joints for the arms and legs though. But I suppose the sequins would do for arms and legs too....

And...sequins come in all sizes so you can use them for any size mini too.

I heard that some people use a hole punch with plastic lids from butter tubs. They take the rounds and  poke a hole
in the center with an awl. Use the wire and bead as usual with the you plastic discs...I have not tried it but read it in one of the teddy bear books.

Michelle

bearsbyTracey BearsbyTracey
Wellington, New Zealand

What a great idea Kim.  I will have a look at our local hobby shop and see what I can find.  I am going to a miniature convention in October so I will have look for other things.
hugs

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Thanks for the tidbits..

Dilu Posts: 8,574

However it should be noted that our host, Intercal, has discs about as small as anyone could want, and the cotter pins to go with them.

Since Kimmy kindly posted a year ago-oh my!, I have priced the ones at the hardware stores and Intercals and , at least for where I live, Intercal is really a much better deal.....

so  I get all my minis and cotter pins right here-one stop shopping!

gollyhugs

dilu

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

I purchased some mini cotton pins and discs last year and haven't the slightest idea how to use them in my mini's.

Up until now I have used brass fasteners as they work great!!

Can anyone help or send a diagram, as I have forgotten how to do it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

That is true Dilu. I just found some in my bear making stuff  and they are great! I have not done wee ones for a while and I just forgot!
Thanks !.
Have a great week.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys

Board footer