Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

HELP

I'm trying needlefelting for the first time.  I'm needlefelting a face on a small (4 inch) bear I made a few years ago.   I'm not unhappy with the results so far, but, I've broken 3 needles; a 40, 36 and 32.  Now I'm down to a 42 and a 20 neither of which are working on this little bear.

Do you think I'm needling overzealously? 

Do I need to buy better needles? 

Does anyone else have this problem?

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hmmm, I've quite a bit of needlefelting and I've only ever broken 2 needles......I think I'm just lucky!! I've actually had to throw felting needles out where they have become blunt!

The 2 times I DID break the needles was when I was being a bit heavy handed and trying to get it done too quickly.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

No not over zealous. You are using the wrong size needles that is all. You really only need a 36, 38, and 40 for this type of work.  I would use a 36 to prefelt and then 38 to attach it to the mohair and then the 40 to give a sculpt and finish. I use many other sizes as well. But for a beginner these three sizes are the best to start off with.  Many breakages happen in the beginning. I cant remember now when I last broke one.
When needles break it can mean that it is time to move up to the next size. Pricked fingers means the same thing. It doesnt take long to become proficent at needle felting. Skill developes quickly. Just try and persevere. bear_thumb

Penn Valley, CA

Thanks for your advice ! ! !     Who knew . . . a learning curve!!!   bear_rolleyes  :doh:   Wendy, I'll check my needle size and follow your instructions.  And Gemma, I'll slow down.  I do have a tendency to do things in hyperspeed.

I've ordered new needles from Edinburgh.  How am I ever going to wait until I get them to finish my little bear??   bear_cry 

Here's how far I got before I broke my needles:

PICT0003_WinCE.JPG

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I have only broken 2 needles in a year...once from being over frustrated with nothing to do with needle felting...the other from waiting too long to change to the next size...and since I live way out in the boonies...and have no patience waiting for new needles...I have lots of extras now...and maybe that fact keeps me from breaking more...and making sure to go straight in & out with the needles is also something I have learned...a rythmic motion....really helps me...

Hugs &

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Patty - what a cutiepie!!

Yup, be sure to use the right sized needles for the job! One way to know when it's time to change needles is that you'll feel as though you are poking at a rubber ball - the needle barely goes into your work. At that point it's beyond time to change to the next highest number which is the next smallest needle (kind of like with sewing needles.). If your needle goes right through your wool and doesn't seem to be felting or it's taking for EVER then you are using a needle that is too small.

Always go straight in and out as Charlotte said. Don't try to put the tip of the needle in and then twist or push the needle at an angle. This will weaken the needle and it'll break pretty quick.

I've broken one needle. I have about 10 of every size though just in case. You can buy them off of eBay  - qty of 10 for really cheap! At least that's what I did about a year ago. I have yet to encounter different qualities of needles so I don't think that's your problem. (But as your read Bobbie's post below you'll see that I am wrong about that one!)

Keep goin' girl! You'll get it and that bear is going to be absolutely adorable! Can't wait to see him again when he's finished!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hi Patty,

May I ask some background first?
Do you know what fiber (sheep breed) you are using?
     This looks fairly 'medium' - Corriedale, Perendale, Romney, etc... Not a finer gauged fiber like Polworth, Cormo, Merino, etc..

Did you start with the 32, then 36 and work down to the 40?
       32 isn't really necessary unless you have a very coarse wool like Navajo/Churro.
Did you change needles sizes after breaking one of each and think it was the needle size?
Is the bear fabric (and its backing) mohair or upholstery fabric?
      (Looks like mohair which has a slightly thinner and more flexible backing.)
When you squeeze the muzzle, is there any 'give' to it or is it very firm?
NO - WAIT!! Are the needle ends still in there? In something so small it's imperative to dig them out, as they migrate through. (Today I tore a chunk off my 6" cube of foam, to find a sewing needle inside! It had migrated the 6" across the cube from where I poked it in and was near the point of exiting the far side. Good thing I hadn't poked my hand on it yet!

Do you always pull the needle back out after every thrust - at the same angle it went in?
     Any deviation will cause the more brittle reduction point to weaken and snap.

Possibly, needle a little more slowly & deliberately.

From the looks of your bear's muzzle, and knowing the scale it is, I would start with a 36 and still be using 36, just about ready to change to 38 to begin to tighten the surface - IF the inside is very firm.

Answers to the above questions will help lead to a solution.

>>>I'm needlefelting a face on a small (4 inch) bear I made a few years ago. 
An excellent way to enhance an older bear and give it an updated look, doing things that're nearly impossible to accomplish, at least as easily in fabric.

>>>>>I'm not unhappy with the results so

Curious here: What aren't you happy with? The look of the semi-finished result or the NFing process?

>>>>>but, I've broken 3 needles; a 40, 36 and 32.  Now I'm down to a 42 and a 20 neither of which are working on this little bear.

This is a 42 & 40 you're meaning? I know of a 19 - a huge needle, useful for linen or hemp - but way to large for any animal fiber I can think of....

>>>>Do you think I'm needling overzealously? 
Yes, could be. Slow down the thrusting pace...

Do I need to buy better needles?

There are needles and there are needles... In another thread (or list?) we were discussing the difference in barbs: some are actually cut into the edges, leaving sharp edges which may in turn cut the fiber. The brand I use, carry and recommend are by Foster, out of WI. Go to their website and read about 'formed' needles.
www.fosterneedlesusa.com
(or maybe that's needle - singular...)

The barb formation wouldn't cause them to be any more or less likely to break, but of the 4 major needle manufacturers, these are the ones that are the best in value and use.

I've never dulled a needle, and some of mine are at least 4 years old. I think the cut barbs are more likely wear down than the formed ones.
Sometimes the feeling of dullness is from the need to change needle sizes, as the piece becomes more compacted.

Let us know - and you're off to a flying start!!!

Penn Valley, CA

Whew, do I have a lot to learn!!!  I've perused the needlefelting posts and not found anything so detailed as you all are telling me.  Thank you all so much for your help.  I know I should have taken a class or bought  a book, but sometimes I just give things a try flying by the seat of my pants , which is what I did today.  As a complete beginner I soooo appreciate all the advice!!

How lucky am I to have the Needle Felting Pioneer helping me with my quandry???  Pretty darn lucky I'd say!!!   

Well Bobbie, I bought the needles and the wool at a bear show last month.  I hadn't tried NFing yet, but thought as long as I'm here I might as well pick them up so I'll have it when I get the urge to learn.  So, I'm not sure what kind of wool it is.  But I think you're right, it seems medium.  The needles, I don't know what kind they were either.  They came in a pack with  sizes 20, 32, 36, 40 & 42.  I broke the 32, 36 and 40.  The 20 does seem huge.  I wondered what it would be used for and the 42 tiny tiny.

When I started out, I'm pretty sure I used 32 then 36 then 40 and broke each one as I went along.  I probably am guilty of not pulling the needle out at the same angle as it went in, and I'm sure I was going too fast.   Perhaps that's why I broke my needles?  Also, at times I was needling over his embroidered nose, not sure if that makes a difference.

The little bear is of short, sparse mohair and the muzzle is stuffed firmly.   The needle tips didn't get stuck in the bear's head, thank goodnes.  They all fell out on my desktop.  Yep, that would hurt.  I did say that I wasn't  unhappy with the results.  But I was quite unhappy about breaking all my needles.

So, for a complete beginner, what would you recommend for wool and what kind of needles for felting on top of mohair??  That's where I'll start.  I know I'll want to needlefelt an entire critter soon, though.  I'm going to go directly to the website you recommend.

I'm determined to get this right because just this little bit I've done so far has me hooked already!! 

Daphne, I will post a pic when he's done.  I'll have to put him aside, though, until my new needles come in the mail.   :cry:

Again, thank you all so much for your help.

nandesign Posts: 361

Hi Patty:

Your little bear is just precious...he has the sweetest face...the needle felting looks wonderful so far.

Hugs, Nancy

Penn Valley, CA

Thanks Nancy.  I'll keep plugging away at it as soon as I get more needles!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA
baronebear wrote:

So, for a complete beginner, what would you recommend for wool and what kind of needles for felting on top of mohair??  That's where I'll start.  I know I'll want to needlefelt an entire critter soon, though.  I'm going to go directly to the website you recommend.

I'm determined to get this right because just this little bit I've done so far has me hooked already!!

You may not realise it, but you have already taken giant steps toward professional results.
I wish you untold success with your future NFing. bear_thumb

Penn Valley, CA

Thank you Wendy.  Your excellent platypus bills give me something to aspire to!!!  I shall carry on . . . . as soon as my needles come in the mail.

Penn Valley, CA

Thanks, Renae. . . I'm pretty sure that was my problem.  I was going too fast.  I don't know why I thought you had to do it that way.     " pokepokepoke   instead of     poke       poke     poke   slow down  watch what you're doing"    :doh:   I tend to do things that way anyway.  You know, I'm always 10 or 12 steps ahead of my husband when we walk.  "Come on, catch up."  Well, now I know. 

I'm going to buy some of Bobbie's needles too.  I can't wait to get my little bear finished.  Now that I've had to wait for needles, I've had different ideas of how to finish him.  Hmm...good to wait sometimes, I guess.

Penn Valley, CA

Actually, I'm a night person

Oh yeah . . . I know what you mean.  I have restless leg syndrome.  I'm up until 2 or 3 o'clock every night.  I get quite a lot done from 10pm when my husband goes to bed and 3 when I go to bed!!!  My doc says 5 hours sleep a night is all I require.  Well I say, "cool".  More hours in the day that way.  Isn't that what everybody wants??   :crackup:  :crackup:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Patty,
I really can't add to what has been said already except to say I have broken many needles.  More in the beginning.  I think it was because I was really getting into a groove and got a little distracted and ....<snap!> there it went!

In my experience, the more I felted the less I broke needles.  Now I hardly ever break one.....only once in a while. bear_wacko

Cute teddy......keep going! bear_thumb

Penn Valley, CA

Thanks Judi,  Glad to know you broke needles too, in the beginning.  There's hope for me yet?  I hope.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Patty...and I still occassionally break one...when I am not paying attention.  bear_wacko

Also, just incase you have not experienced this yet...watch your fingers!  Especially when you are new to NFting.  I have had some really bad jabs to my fingers.  Once you get into a groove you'll automatically know just how far to keep your fingers awya from the sharp end on the needle.

It's all par for the course I guess. bear_thumb

Love your Halloween avatar!

Penn Valley, CA

Oooohhhhhh yeaaahhhhhh.   OUCH  ! ! !  I went right through the little muzzle to my fingers a couple times before I figured I needed to put the bear down on something.  Duh    :doh:    (I haven't received my foam pad in the mail yet.)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So I'm not the only one who just gets going at 10PM??? I'm up 'til 1am or later every night when I have bears to make. I've always been a night owl. Hubby actually goes to bed at 8:30 everynight and he's up at 4:30am. I don't know how he does that! If I'm up before 9am it's a miracle! I need 9 hours of sleep every night if not more. I missed my mother's genes on that one. She's good to go after 4-5 hours! Just think of all the stuff I'd get done if I had those extra awake hours!

Penn Valley, CA

Oooh yeah.  I'm glad my sewing room is downstairs.  (walk-out basement set-up)  I'd hate to have to be quiet all night long after hubby goes to bed.   Just can't vacuum and stuff like that.  (oh darn)

Board footer