Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Does anyone have any idea where I could get eyes with a bigger pupil than the standard ones? I have tried some taxidermy places with no joy as yet.

I'd be grateful for any ideas!!!

Thanks in advance  :hug: ,

Jenny

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

I was reading somewhere that someone else had this problem the other day - the answer given to them was to hand paint with black an additional circle around the pupil.(from the back of course).

This would seem to suggest that commercially they might not be available.

I'm sure someone else has the answer though - and PDQ too knowing TTers. :clap:

kate Kates Mates
Malua Bay

Hi Jenny,
Beary Cheap here in Australia have a line called "Baby Eyes" in their "Alive Eyes" range and they do have quite large pupils compared to the regular eyes.  However, the Baby Eyes seem only to come in 10, 12 or 14mm.  I bought a set in my last order - arrived a couple of days ago - they're quite lovely and I can't wait to use them.  One of these days I'll find enough time (and courage!) to create a set of hand-coloured eyes.  But in the meantime.....
Bear hugs,
Kate

warwickshire uk
Website

Thanks guys..are these 'Alive eyes' the ones with the snap on backs...I did look at those..maybe I'll get some to try...I am unsure how they would work though because wouldn't you need to insert the eyes before stuffing?

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Jenny,

When I've used safety eyes on childsafe bears/bunnies (only twice), I 've done  a trial stuffing of the head (not too firmly) to figure out where the eyes should go. Otherwise, I'd be clueless!

warwickshire uk
Website

I have a feeling you could use the same method as I use for locline..ie a hot needle through the shank to make a hole then insert as normal with thread....But like you Eileen I don't really have a clue. Hmmmmm!!!

kate Kates Mates
Malua Bay

are these 'Alive eyes' the ones with the snap on backs...I did look at those..maybe I'll get some to try...I am unsure how they would work though because wouldn't you need to insert the eyes before stuffing?

Yes, they are.  While I've bought a set of Baby Eyes - they're planned for use in a very plush synthetic because I'm not sure how far they'll pull in either.   I'm assured they will pull in but I can't see that it could be as far as those on a wire shank.  It should be possible - after the eyes are set and the head stuffed, to pull in around the eyes a bit further if needed by extra needle sculpting.  Has anyone tried this, does it work?   
I like Jenny's idea that you might be able to force a hole through the shank with a hot needle - it certainly could be worth a try.   Otherwise hand-painting the eyes to suit requirements might seem to be the go.  Some of the hand-painted eyes I've seen on TT have been quite beautiful.
Cheers
Kate

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

On Neysa Phillippi's website, she sells plastic eyes and at the top of the page of her website listing the eyes for sale, she has a link to a PDF file with instructions on how to make a hole in the shaft of a plastic eye in order to insert it like you would a glass eye.   www.purelyneysa.com

Thank you, Neysa, for sharing your knowledge with us, including, and especially, needlefelting.

Board footer