Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

VermontHarvest Vermont Harvest Primitives
Vermont

Hi everyone.  I was just wondering if anyone here has used upholstry velvet for bear making?  If so...what did you think of it....how did your bears come out....etc...I have some..and I wanted to give it a try.  I would love your input.

Thank you
God Bless
Doreen

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Doreen, I just started making minis and only made 2 so far from upholstery velvet It is sooooo easy to work with-well compared to the real fur I usually use  bear_grin

I have 2 types- vintage long pile that I bought off an ebay seller.  To me it isn't long pile- more like short to medium and it isn't especially soft . but is easy to work with.  Here is the bear I made from that.
HAND.jpg

The other stuff I use is Long pile from Stephanie at Sassy Bears and Fabrics---- I LOVE THIS FABRIC !   It is just so soft ( almost like flocked) and more true to what I would think long pile upholstery should be like.  I just ordered a 1/2 yard and plan to dye it. 
trixiefingertip.jpg

Both types are  thin and have the grib backing and don't fray.   They work great for minis- so easy to turn the pieces. .   I have seen upholstery velvet at the fabric store locally and it is a much stiffer & thicker backing. Not what I would use for minis.

I hope that is of some help, but I am no expert.

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Doreen

I use it too.

Here you can see some of mine:
Clossiana_2.JPG

Rusty_1.JPG

It´s great for minis.

Vermont

Tammy and Tina.  Thank you both very much.  Your bears are great.,......LOVE THEM....I am excited to give this stuff a try.  I am also going to check out that site you told me about Tammy.

Take care
Doreen

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Doreen!
I use the vintage rayon (upholstery) all the time.  I love it.  There's a great seller on ebay for short/medium pile in a ton of colors, I think Tammy and I probably use the same person (she sells a ton of it)....BUT it's not really "long pile"...at least not what I consider long pile.  True vintage long pile out on ebay is a rare treat, so be prepared to pay for the golds, creams and brown tones.
The Halloween bear under my avatar right now is an example of long and short/medium combined...you can see that his face and paws are a long fur looking pile..while his body is a short pile.
It's all great to work with because of the no fray grid backing. And the true long pile is great to scissor sculpt.

This guy here is a long pile....
StitchWEBTT.jpg

HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!
:hug:
~Chrissi

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Jiggs-5.jpgEddy.jpegChipper.jpgAurora2012022021.jpgTammy, Tina & Chrissi, your little bears are all adorable! Tammy I love your little pumpkin fairy! bear_wub  I really like using the upholstery fabrics as well.

The top 2 are made from Malden Mills long pile and the bottom 2 are vintage rayon.

Have fun with your new fabric! I can't wait to see your new bear.

djbbears Queensland

Oh I love all you people that make mini's you must have alot of patience as I have tried and end up calling them swear bears (lol) am still trying though won't give up ............. bear_rolleyes   

Debbie

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I've made just a few bears from upholstery velvet!!!  :crackup:

It is the BEST for minis.

Swear all you like, BUT DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

Vermont

Thanks everyone for the great advice....ALL YOUR BEARS ARE WONDERFUL.  I have not started on a bear yet.  We had a death in the family so things are on hold for a little bit but I will get started asap.

Take care
Doreen

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

Doreen im so sorry you had a death in the family! my deepest sympathy and you will be in our prayers! deb

Vermont

Deb.  Hello...how is your husband?  I have been keeping a watch to see if you were back on.  Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.

Did you get my message regarding Vermont Bear shows?

Take care
Doreen

Board footer