Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

Does anyone know how to achieve the realistic looking flat ears on dogs and cats? The ones I have seen look like they are lined in wool felt maybe-- but fused(?) with the mohair.
Thanks,
Nancy D

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but...

Well, I have never made flat ears for dogs or cats, but when I want a very flat fin on one of my leather fish, I sew and turn it (making sure the seam allowance is as small as possible) fill it with a safe glue and insert wire. As it dries I keep pressing it down to make sure it stays really flat. It stays very flexible and poseable.
If you are opposed to using glue, you could use an iron on fusible (like WonderUnder), tuck it in the turned ear and press with a pressing cloth in place until it 'sticks'
Hope this helps
Cheryl

If this isn't what you're after, maybe you could post a  :photo: ?

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

The ones I have seen have not been stitched but glued together.  The edge of the mohair has been treated but I have not asked if it was the glue or fray check.
Donna

theteddypatch The Teddy Patch/Bear Necessities

I do my dog ears the same way that Cheryl does.  It works really great and the wire allows you to bend the ear alittle to get the look you're going for too.
Luralee

hatsuko Nasseh-Ya
Seattle, WA

Try HeatnBond Ultra Hold iron-on adhesive (must be Ultra hold, Lite hold doesn't work)
it's available at all craft/fabric stores in the US and some grocery stores also (:

bond2.jpg

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

Thanks everybody! I will try all suggestions and see which I like best.
Nancy D
bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, everone--this is great advice!

I've been wondering how to keep my bunny-ear linings from flopping away from my bunny ears!

Board footer