Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Tracy: It is such good news that your children are doing better today. What a good idea to make bears from something of their grandfather.

Your heart breaks when you see your children hurting. It must be hard for you too. Take care of yourself Tracy.

Bear Hugs

Michelle

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Aww Tracy,

Grand Dad sounds like he was a Great Grand Dad. 

I am sorry for your loss and your kids's loss especially.....

They need the time and they will work it out.

But here is something I would like to ask you to do, with or without thier help,  if you have pictures make a book on his life for your kids to have, using the pictures

If you aren't a picture taking family put down on the neat things you can remember.  How he was when each of the boys was born.  What you loved about him.  Maybe the kids will like to share some of their thoughts.

It is important to keep the gentleman alive in their hearts, and this can only be done by reinforcing and validating their memories of him.

Your little man, hiding so you wouldn't see his tears touched my heart.  I suspect that were he to talk about it he would tell you that he didn't want you to be sad....

hugs to you love, its hard being a single mom and you sounds like you and your ex have done an exemplary job keeping the extended family together and important in the boys life.

Kudos Lady, you are doing a great job!

gollyhugs
dilu

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Majdle-- :hug: I'm so sorry about your uncle.......you're right, even if you are a 'big girl', it still hurts when we lose someone close to us. bear_sad  Also, I don't think your thoughtful idea is stupid at all........it's wonderfully generous and caring.  You are so sweet to think of my boys! :hug: I normally would not feel right accepting, but this time I do......my boys really need the cheering up right about now.  Especially since the memorial service will not be until November 18th, as I've just found out.  I know it can't be helped, but that's an awful long time to leave things hanging bear_sad ............

Hayley, Michelle, Dilu--Thanks gals. :hug: You have no idea how much I appreciate all of you! 

We had another tough night tonight.  Zach would not let me out of his sight once home from school today.  Then he would alternate between crying and saying how much he misses his Granddad and then acting up with a very forced silliness.  That's a good indication of anxiety, huh?  Just as Shelli's husband advised, he was worried someone else would die too.......possibly even him. bear_sad   I did my best to comfort and talk to him, but it's so hard to know what to say.  And so hard for him to understand.  Darn it, but this stinks! bear_cry

The memory bears almost didn't get a chance to happen.  I wasn't going to say anything about it to their dad just yet, but did this afternoon anyway.  Good thing I did as my ex's sister is in London to help their mom sort things, and Harold's clothing will be donated to charity tomorrow.  The ex is going to call to make sure they save out something........and I am going to remind him in the morning or he'll likely forget with everything on his mind.  I also like the idea of a memory album.  It would take some doing to get pictures though as I don't have many of Harold, and I know my ex doesn't either.  I would have to wait until his mom is up to going through pictures to share them with us.  I did see some workbooks on the website suggested to me by Stitch (Sandy).  I think I will look closer in the morning and order something. 

Love you all!

Many hugs,
Tracy

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

So very sad to hear of the loss and your children being so depressed. Just love them, hug them, tell them it is ok to cry and bring up good memories about grandpa.Tell them this  is a natural process of life and that we all have our designated time and that is just the way it is.Share with them to enjoy every day to the fullest and share their love with those that they love and forge on in his memory , holding him in their hearts for ever.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I just read what Shelli's husband said and it rang so true with me....my mum died just a couple of years ago when my daughter was only four. She and her 'nana' were very close, and although my daughter was a bit too young to really understand the full meaning of death, she soon started to ask me if it meant that I (her mother) was also going to die. Obviously for any of us it is a huge wrench to lose a loved one, but for children I'm sure it is also very confusing. We got through our loss by being honest, and I let her know how sad I was feeling too. I also tried to answer her questions head-on, together with lots of reassurance.

I really feel for you and your boys, it's such a hard time  :hug:

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Tracy,
So sorry to hear your sad news,  :hug:
hugs Kerren

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Tracy, I do feel for you and your boys.  Everybody has already given such helpful suggestions that I will only tell you that I hope your little guys will find peace and comfort soon.  Hugs to all of you.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

Have you thought of a group project. Maybe working on something their grandfather would've enjoyed doing. Maybe putting together a photo book or collage for the memorial service, show some of the projects he helped them with. It brings back the good memories and gets people telling their favourite stories, and helps you get through a trying time. I often feel a presence of a lost loved one when I'm working on something they would've enjoyed doing.
And since you make bears, how about a memorial bear, later, make him a characature of their grandad or make him out of a favourite coat or blanket, get the idea. Hang in there. It's the good memories that will remain.
My prayers are with your family

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Tracy,
I'm sorry for your family's loss. Harold sounded like such an adventurous and fun loving man, truly appreciating every moment and lived it to the fullest. He was blessed with years of good health that allowed him to do what he loved well into his upper 70s.  As someone who, as a kid, had "death" fears I would focus on all of that good with your boys. It's horrid emotionally when this happens, but Harold would want the boys to not worry and have as much joy and fun as he did in life.  Since Harold had such a travel history maybe the boys could map out all of the places their Grand Dad traveled to on a map, read about the places, and maybe eventually see photos sent of Harold in those places.  Little boys like adventures and they have a role model in Harold and his memories.

:hug:  :hug:
~Chrissi

Iowa
Website

Hey gals!  Thanks so much for all the well wishes and great advice.........it has been a God send!! :hug:  :hug:

The boys are doing better after the passing of several days.  Nathan, my oldest, is really handling it quite well now.  Zach, on the other hand, is only five so it's still hard for him.  Today, for the first time, he could actually let me out of his sight without panicking......although he asked me to sleep with him tonight because he is "worried" about me. bear_cry   I think it will take time and lots and lots of love and reassurance for my little guy.  Plus it may help once the memorial service is over with.  That won't take place until Nov. 18th. 

I have plans to make two memory bears with cardigan sweaters made from the one Harold always wore while reading in his favorite chair.....which was every day unless he wasn't home.  I also need to find a couple of hats like the type he wore.  I don't know what they're called, but they are kind of like a flat ball cap with a bill in front?  I know I've seen them somewhere as accessories for dolls and bears:wacko: .............

My mom is the scrapbooking genius in the family, and she is making up something for the boys to hang on the wall in their rooms.  Zach is going to help with his.

I am so glad that my boys had Harold in their lives........but very sad that it was for such a short time.  They will miss so much without him. bear_sad

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

I'm glad you all are doing better.  the grief will get easier with time, and i'm glad the memory bears WILL get to happen!  people like this stay with us  forever and make up part of who we are . my favorite phrase when my dad died was "love remains" and it does and it colors everthing about you and stays in your heart and makes you a better person because of it. and then someday you can pass it on!  best wishes and hugs deb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Tracy, I just read this sad post, sorry to hear of your families loss, my prayers are with you all. Big hugs to you and the boys.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Iowa
Website

people like this stay with us  forever and make up part of who we are . my favorite phrase when my dad died was "love remains" and it does and it colors everthing about you and stays in your heart and makes you a better person because of it. and then someday you can pass it on!

Oh, that's neat Deb!  So very well put. bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:

Heart-felt thanks Karen. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Im so sorry to hear of your sad news Tracy, Give the boys a big hug. :hug:
I lost my first husband Stephen very suddenly when my daughter Sabrina was four.
I dont think there is a right of wrong way to grieve it is a long sad process.
I just believe to talk and talk some more, remembering him often, try to make them laugh at the special memories you all shared. And never ever be afraid to cry with them.
You never get over a loss of any family member you just simply learn to live comfortably with it .
I wish peace and comfort for you all...

Hugs Laniex

Ps Get out those photos, If you have them, we still do now.

Stellajella Wien

Oh god, Tracy, my deepest sympathy!
I can only say, I hope the boys will manage it well...or actually I think, they will.
And I wish you strength to go through this. :hug:

Gaby bear_flower

Board footer