Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I need to know...do I need to try again with the picture of the wings?

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Charlotte...the pic still isn't showing...maybe check the file size, maybe it's too big.
Awaiting pics with anticipation!

Adkins, Texas

I tried editing my original post above & hope the picture shows this time...Please let me know...

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Hurray! I can see them now, Charlotte. They're beautiful! You did this with colored pencils and parchment paper? They turned out great! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Adkins, Texas

Whew...finally...lol...Yes a commercial art paper by Bienfang called Designer Series Parchment No. 100 Tracing Paper for pencil, pen, markers, charcoal,pastels. I simply traced the wings I wanted to make, using a black colored pencils, then colored it in with various other colored pencils. I put florist wire along the top edge on some & and all the way around on others. I placed the parchment designs on an oven proof glass tray and ran a bead of  Liquid Sculpey around the egde of the wings, being sure to keep the wire in place. Then I put a little more sculpey in the center of the wings. I used a piece of wire to spread the sculpty as evenly as possible. One set of wings I carefully added glass seed beads along the bottom edges. I baked them at 300 degrees for 15 minutes ( the suggested temperature from the manufacturer for getting a more transparent look. I then removed the wings from the oven & put them in hot water for a few minutes(which also seemed to make the wings curve slightly,which was a pleasant surprise), and the parchment paper slid right off the wings, leaving the color on the wings.
LOL I know...that was more than you asked...but I just wanted to share the process I used.

Glad you like them Bonnie.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Charlotte...they are lovely! Thanks for sharing your method....and rest assured we can NEVER have too much detail!! bear_wub

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Charlotte, WOW!!

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. You are so sweet to shareit with us!. Those wings turned out to be just gorgeous  :dance:  :hug:  bear_thumb

Julia :hug:  :clap:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

WOW EVERYONE!!!

It is so cool to see there are so many different ways to do wings and how differently they all come out!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

BEAUTIFUL WINGS!! That made my mind up, I need some Liquid Sculpey!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Charlotte... I am so glad that you were able to get the pics to show!  Those are gorgeous!  For anyone who is interested.... if you can't get your hands on Translucent Liquid Sculpy (TLS), there is another product called Fimo Liquid Decorating Gel.... it has the same properties as the TLS and you can do the same things with it... image transfer, etc... but it cures absolutely transparent and clear.  they are both fabulous products and so versatile!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Charlotte, those wings are fantastic!  I love them.  Thanks so much for posting your detailed technique for everyone else to learn from and follow.

bear_original

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Wow, Charlotte, those wings are gorgeous! That did it! I am off to get some liquid sculp!y bear_laugh  bear_laugh .....or maybe liquid fimo....thanks, Kim

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Charlotte I'm reading your info on making your wings. I cant find the photo  in the postings though.
I would love to see the wings because your process for making the wings sounds really creative.

Wendy bear_thumb

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

I'm glad this topic came back up!
Thanks for the great instructions Charlotte. Like Hayley said, we can never get too much detail here!

Toby, those are some very pretty wings. I think one could make some like that with some white nylons and wire.

WA

I must admit I'm a butterfly addict.  I have small acrylic ones all over my walls and windows bear_rolleyes
just cant help myself bear_grin  bear_grin  They are pretty wings Toby bear_thumb

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

The pic of Charlotte's wings are back on page 5. They are really pretty and very cool!

WA

Thanks Sandi bear_thumb  without you I would still be looking. bear_grin

I love the wings Charlotte. They look like they would be very suited to wee pixie bears. bear_thumb
gotta try me some bear_grin

Adkins, Texas

Wendy, Yes yes yes...they would be perfect...and they are so much fun!!

Hugs &

WA

Well looks like I have gone wing mad. I bought two key chains in the $2 shop yesterday. I thought they would make good wings. hahahahahahahah They are heart shaped with feathers and crystal pastings.
Cant wait to get started on them.  Will post pic during the week. bear_thumb

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

Occurs me me - making the wings is one thing. But how do you all attach them? Sew/attach some other way direct to bare bear? Or attach to a little dress?

Also occurs to me that silk papermaking has great potential. You need raw silk fibres and museum-grade silk paper-making adhesive (kind of live PVA, only it isn't...)  and some plastic mesh to press the paper sheets between... 'Paper' is misleading as it has a different texture to paper - it's more like fabric.

You can embed leaves, glitter, other fibres... whatever you like in the layers. If you use museum grade adhesive, it won't degrade over time which is handy if making bears for other folk!

Here's a good source of materials/info (paper-making section):

www.papershed.com/

P.S: I'm trying the angelina tomorrow! Have threaded a copper wire with tiny glass seed beads - not sure how the 2 will go together yet, though!

WA

I put a sketch of how to attach wings in minitures Teddy Tyke.  And If you are wondering why I popped it there, it is because that is where my miniture cherub teddy is.
Now all you have to do is TRY to understand them.  bear_grin  Not a dig at you but at my instructions.  bear_rolleyes  bear_grin  Here's the link possum bear_thumb

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=11543&p=1

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

Aw Wendy thank you! Heading straight there now...  And I'm sure they're perfectly clear!

P.S: Just been and I think I get it! I'm going to try it on my first little 6" bear and if I can get it right, will then have a go on my neice's 7"

honeypothollow Posts: 30

i've used the liquid poly clay for wings, and it has worked great.  i've never used it for bears, but for clay projects.  i like it because you can get the transluscent look, but they are strong.  it is fun to work with.  especially if you add pigment powders and swirl them around with a toothpick.  you can create so many different designs.  it's all in how you manipulate the wire.  you really have to watch it while it is baking though.  especially if they are a light color.  if baked for two long, the liquid clay can get a yellowish color to it, and you don't want that.  if you add color to it, depending on what color you add, you don't notice if the yellowing happens. 

you cand get the liquid poly clay at any craft store.  i'd say give it a shot.  experiment with it.  it's fun, and you can get some very cool and unusual looks.

jen

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

Lucky_Avatar.jpg

To get the wings for this bear ( & several others) I went to an after Christmas sale.  I bought all the dove ornaments that they had & plucked their little wings right off of them. Shhhhh! Don't tell Santa! bear_innocent  bear_innocent  bear_innocent  bear_innocent  bear_innocent

WA

Board footer