Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I have spent several hours just looking for the postings on wings. There was a huge discussion with the most amazing ideas. Pages and pages of stuff.  Now I cant find it. ggrrhhh bear_grin
Help please :pray:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Here ya go Wendy...and I might say the ONLY reason I know about this is because I started it many moons ago and have referred back to it a time or dozen.   :crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:

Grab a cuppa (is that right) and enjoy...

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3837

WA

THANKYOU Shantelle  Your the best bear_thumb    It is now midnight and I only got to the 3rd page bear_grin  bear_grin
I did get the info I needed but just couldnt pull myself away.
I'll be saving the link this time.  Cause I gunna come back tomorrow bear_grin  bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You may also find something of interest at the One & Only Dolls website on Renee's technique's page.  Check here:

http://oneandonlydolls.com/techniques.htm

She makes the most wonderful, dressed, repainted fairy dolls from fashion dolls like Barbie and Gene and Tyler.  And she makes her own wings.  She talks about both the methods she uses in her techniques section.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forefront again Wendy -I missed it the first go around and it has some great info in it! Mind you my "5 minute check in" at TT has now lasted 55 minutes and counting :doh:  :crackup:

I don't think I saw it mentioned later in the posts (if it was, I apologize) but the TYVEK used to make wings and costumes is not the same as the housewrapping construction TYVEK. It is the same material but the construction stuff has chemical treatments on it that make it toxic if heated.  A book on dolllmaking I have mentions this and I didn't want anyone to have an experimenting accident! Use only the envelope kind of Tyvek.

Have a great and creative day!
Cheryl

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Cheryl, where do you get your TYVEK?

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Shel!  Those impossible to tear open Priority Mail envelopes from the USPS are Tyvek.  If you happen to know your "oil change guy" many of them wear disposable Tyvek jumpsuits over their clothes.  I asked our guy about them, and he snuck me a clean one!  How nice is that!   bear_wub  bear_smile

Kim Basta

articrose On The Brite Side

How funny but I was just looking for wing ideas this AM. I found a site dont have the addy but if you do a search for bonnie McCaffery she has a video on her site you can watch about this craft tinsel and the irredesant colors melt, you could make some beautiful wings with that stuff. I am going to see if I can find any of that in our stores here in town.

Anothr technique I have done myself, dont know if someone else has ever done it but I take a pretty see thru glittery type of material and I take a piece of wire and form it into a wing shape, I then take clear drying glue, and put the glue all over the piece of material, place the wire on top of this and then place another piece of the see thru material over this, so the wire is sandwitshed in the middle of the fabrics. I let dry then use a glitter glue or a craft glue and make veins then sprinkle glitter over the glue. I hope this is clear enough of an explanation, if not please let me know and I will try and explain better.
Sheri

Edmonton
Shelli wrote:

Cheryl, where do you get your TYVEK?

Hi Shelli
I think it was at "Staples" or "Office Depot" office supply store (sorry, I can never remember what are Canada only stores and what are American stores). They were in the bulk envelope section, made by Dupont and it just calls them "Tyvek Envelopes". A box of 50 - 10" x 13"  envelopes was about $10. I find Tyvek so unpredictable to work with and so I'm glad its pretty cheap so lots of experiments can get done!
Good Luck!
Cheryl

Does anyone have any tips on getting more consistent results?

forgot last step, after the glue has dried before I do the veins I cut out the wing shape, trim around the wire form then do the veins. I also leave a couple inches of wire out of the end of the wings that will attach to the doll or bear and I twist the wires togeather then cover that with a strip of the fabric with glue to hold it in place.
Sheri

Hudson, Ohio

BabyWings.jpgCheryl...
  What part are you finding is inconsistant?  The heating/shrinking part?  It's pretty inconsistent for me as well!  I get my best and most controlable results using an embossing heat gun.  I've also tried candle flame, and my Genesis Heat Gun.....  but prefer the embossing gun.  On little bitty wings, I sometimes use one of those woodburning tools that has an extra fine tip.   My newest little baby.... as yet unnamed has little Tyvek wings painted with Lumiere and Pearl Ex powders.  The light in my house is awful dreary today... I'll have to redo these when we have a bit of sunlight....

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC
cherylbruinwerks wrote:

I don't think I saw it mentioned later in the posts (if it was, I apologize) but the TYVEK used to make wings and costumes is not the same as the housewrapping construction TYVEK. It is the same material but the construction stuff has chemical treatments on it that make it toxic if heated.  A book on dolllmaking I have mentions this and I didn't want anyone to have an experimenting accident! Use only the envelope kind of Tyvek.

Have a great and creative day!
Cheryl

Ugh, then what happens when your house burns down?!?!?  Nothing I like the idea of more than being surrounded by extra-toxic fumes!  bear_ermm

OK, that had absolutely nothing to do with wings, but when I read that I thought, 'ewwwww, not good!'

Kim, WONDERFUL little faery baby.  You know what's funny, I am working on a sculpt too! lol She's as yet unbaked though....

Kimberly W.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kimberly W. good point! I know it's OT but really, aside from the loss, a housing burning down is horrible for all the toxins that must fly in the air. Scarey for the firefighters and fire watchers.

WA

TT-picscherubwithoutwings2.jpgHere is a pic of the bear I'm making. What I would love to know is how can I attach the wings.
They are mother of pearl earings originally.  The moment I spotted them I saw WINGS for my wee cherub. bear_grin  bear_grin   Any advise any one??????

thankyou Cheryl for that timely warning.   bear_thumb
We are always in need  of  SAFETY ADVICE.
SO PEOPLE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.       SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheri , wonderfully clear instructions on wing making . I'll be refering back to it  for my next mini project. bear_thumb
Thanks Shelli for the link. I spent quite some time on Renees site last night. Didnt get to bed till 2.30am :redface:  bear_grin  bear_grin

Edmonton
WildThyme wrote:

Cheryl...
  What part are you finding is inconsistant?  The heating/shrinking part?

Yes that's been the problem but I can't believe I never thought of a heat gun :doh:  :doh:
The only instructions I had to use it were to use an iron and I hadn't tried anything else. Off for more research!
Thanks Kim,
Cheryl

another technique I just remembered is wings made with plastic bottles, you draw the wing out on the bottle or cut the bottle first to get a square piece and lay over a pattern then trace with a permenant marker, the wing will be slightly curved, gives it kind of a natural look. Anyway then you paint the wing with glass paints, I like to use that porcelain paint you can bake in the oven on glass. cant think of the name right this minute, i'm sure any paint would do realy, I use gallery glass liquid leading or glitter paint by tulip in gold or silver to outline the wing and veins, paint inside the lining or use clear glue and sprinkle glitter on, the possibilities are endless. a great way to recycle  bear_thumb
Sheri

oh my, I'm on a roll now. just remembered another way to do wings. I use to crochet those angles with the string and then put stiffener which I usualy used the white glue mixed with a little water, pinned out then let dry, you could sprinkle glitter on them and ect. oh gosh, now where did I put those patterns!!!
Sheri

I found the book that has the plastic bottle technique, its actualy for butterflies but you can use the idea for angel wings. its called Magical butterflies by donna Manchester its put out by Plaid. the pictures are wonderful, you can make some beautiful wings!!!
Sheri

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Shelli, I love one and only dolls, her tutes are fabulous!!

Kim, lovely little fairy!!!  I love your sculptures, I don't think I would have the patience to complete one...well, maybe in my old age hehe

Heat gun....that sounds good, will have to try that!

Drink bottles..hmmm...will have to give that a go.  Glass paint...sheesh, you should see my collection of paints already lol.  Will have to buy more now  bear_tongue   Thanks!!

you dont have to use glass paints, in reading the instructions here is how you paint them, you use the gallery glass liquid leading to outline the wings and do the inside lines then on the underside of the wing use metalic fold art or sparkles folk art paints, then when painted and dry you coat the underzside where you did the painting with gold or silver metalic folk art paint. I will take a photo of a butterfly from the book and post it. they are beautiful.
Sheri

DSC01066.JPGhere is a photo of the plastic bottle butterflies. you can leave the beads from the center off and fold the wings in the middle, they fold great then glue to your angel. I did a quick search for this book and didnt find it, I bought mine at Ben Franklins years ago, it is wonderful and has a lot of patterns for butterflies and dragonflies and some hummingbirds.
Sheri

Hudson, Ohio

Oh.... those butterflies are GORGEOUS! 

Kim Basta

WA

The butterflies are gorgeous Sheri. I suppose the patterns in stain glass pattern books would serve just as well for templates aye?  I saw some pens today in 'Spotlight' that are designed for 'slick' surfaces.
Life just gets easier and easier. bear_grin  bear_grin
You have come up with wonderful ideas Sheri. Thankyou for sharing them. bear_cool

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Well my goodness....so much information....Though I have never made fairies I almost want to go out and make one!!

Kim Basta---your baby fairy is so sweet....what a talent you have....

Michelle

WA

Go one Michelle do it and then tell us how you did it bear_grin  GO on, you know ya wanna bear_whistle  bear_grin

Board footer