Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

BEING REAL
This is the story of two toys.  A new toy - a Rabbit, and an old, worn out toy - a Teddy Bear.

"What is real?" asked the Rabbit one day when they were lying side by side.
"Does it mean having things buzz inside you  and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made" said the Teddy Bear  "Its a thing that happens to you when a child loves you for a long, long time. Not just to play with, but really loves.  Then you become real".

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes" said the Teddy Bear for he was always truthful.
"But when you are real you don't mind being hurt".

"Does it happen all at once - like being wound up?" asked the Rabbit "or bit by bit?".

"It doesn't happen all at once" said the Teddy Bear.
"You BECOME. It takes a long time.  That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily or have sharp edges, or have to be carefully kept.  Generally, by the time you are real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out,  You get loose in the joints and become very shabby.  But these things don't matter at all. For once you are real you can't be ugly except to people who don't understand.
Once you are real, you can't become unreal again.
It lasts for always".
(Anon)

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

That's so nice. I think it's from the story the velveteen rabbit. Only in that story the wise old character is the "skin horse".
Thanks for sharing! :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

cute -thanks for sharing.  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sandra. I love that story.  It's very beautiful and it makes such great sense. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears
Tami E wrote:

That's so nice. I think it's from the story the velveteen rabbit. Only in that story the wise old character is the "skin horse".
Thanks for sharing! :hug:

I don't know that story - Have I had a deprived childhood?:crackup:

I just remember it from somewhere and I thought the time of year suited.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Oh you've definitely got to read "The Velveteen Rabbit"!!!  bear_wub   Its one of my all time favorite books...could read it again and again.  And yes, it certainly does ring true  bear_happy

Board footer