Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am having trouble selling my bears on ebay (and getting a little down about it)... Are there any suggestions on getting bids?  I am sure I am not the only one who has had trouble selling a bear but after Joshua didn't sell (which I thought was one of my best bears yet), I think I need to try to figure out what the "problem" is....

Should I change my auction templates?

Should I lower my starting bids?

Should I do a "featured auction"? 

Should I end my auctions at 8:00 p.m. (ebay time)? 

What can I do, girls???  HELP!! bear_sad

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Sometimes I don't think it matters what you do as e bay just seems to have no consistency.I sold quite a few bears mid sep to mid nov and then all of a sudden I haven't sold the last three or four and it is like you said that you think you have made one of your best bears and it doesn't seem to matter.It can be very disheartening but the only thing you can do is to hang in there and hope that the sales pick up again-mind you you would think that xmas would be your best time.I am just using this slow time to try out new things that I haven't had the time to do.
Laurie :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: thank you for your kind words bear_original

sarahjane Brisbane

Don't let it get you down Kim....I've only sold one in the last five that I've listed, right now I'm trying to decide whether to have one more go or to leave it till after Christmas......It's not your bears, there are a lot of bears not selling at the moment, I think people have their minds on other things.

I would not lower your starting bids...from memory I think they are quite reasonable already.....As for featured auctions, they are very expensive and I have tried these but had no better luck, only more expense, although you do get more looks....It may be different for some of the other girls though.

I will be watching this thread with interest as I need some of the same advice..  bear_grin

K Pawz Guest

I'm in the same boat as you are Kim.. hang in there it is eBay NOT your bears!!! Asha my puppy has one bid on him, I started him at $25.00, for 5 days, a reserve of $150.00 and did a featured auction, and it still isn't really making a difference, So don't change a thing, if you can afford it as someone else said, look at the eBay fees as advertising, if not wait until closer to christmas when Christmas shopping is Done and list again!! I personally will keep listing just to keep my name out there.

Hugs,
Krista

Dilu Posts: 8,574

awww honey we've been here before....you know that e-bay has its ups and downs, as does Bid 4 Bears.

And I have been watching quite closely and more bears are not selling than are.  Do you watch the business news?  Like Bloomberg or on fox news channel or MSNBC?

Its not good, honey, it really isn't...and the forecast is not good for the Christmas season-

So it might not be anything you are doing right or wrong....ya know?  It might be just the economy.

Now that said the rich are always going to have money to spend.  So.....what can you do to make your little ones stand out from the crowd- that will say to Mrs. Richy Rich "here I am look at me!!!!"

You have so much competition, there are so many bear makers, bear artists, and so many are having the same problems....

so you cotta get a gimmick-a twist-a little sparkle-a little magic to make yours stand out a little bit more from the crowd....

You make darling bears, and you know how much I love them-so don't get down, don't get discouraged-start thinking about what you can do....I know that you will come up with something special....

And i am rooting you on and looking forward to what you do....

love
dilu

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hey Kim

As everyone has said, don't take it personally.  Ebay has, is and always will be a fickle place and we have to accept those foibles.  I think sales aren't always great at this time of the year.  Remember too, that when you've been away for a while that it takes time to grab peoples' attention again.  I'm not sure what your starting prices are...but I think if they are in what I think of as mid range (40-70) then you don't need to worry about doing a featured auction.  From my experience people browse down to about that far.  It's not until you get into the low 30s (and below) starting price that you start to get loads of not so good bears and people can't be bothered sifting through.

Again, I don't know that ending time makes a huge difference - and lets face it there's a whole world of collectors out there and you're not going to please all of the people all of the time.  If you have a healthy mailing list and let people know exactly when and how long you are listing a bear for, you'll get the attention.

Chin up, ease into it and don't have too great expectations and you'll probably find yourself ack in the swing of things.

Board footer