Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

angelbear216 Posts: 9

Hi,

I wasnt sure where to put this post but I wanted to start to buy some necessary tools that I will need to attempt to make my first bear.  Is there a general shopping list of "must haves" that can be recommended?  Also an online store to buy these things from? 

I was also wondering where a good place to buy patterns would be?  I am a little lost on what kind of joints to use too?  So many questions!!!!...... bear_shocked

Thanks,

Lisa   bear_original

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hey Lisa,

Welcome to TT.

I have to say regards the patterns. This site I have just found a few mins ago seems to have a very vast wide array of patterns.

Regards Esentials... There will be a long as long as your arm! But if you are starting with a pattern it will usually tell you what you need to get.

I will try and say a few basics (I will welcome people to add, Please!)

Needles, Size depending on your type of bear, Smaller for minis of course. Inculding doll needles for inserting eyes and curved needles for attaching ears.

Threads Extra strong thread for stitching, attaching eyes and ears. I always use extra strong to stitch the whole body, some people don't but I don't want to pop seams as I stuff VERY hard.

Perle Cotton for nose. Sizes depends on the size of bear!

Stuffing, Polyester/Cotton Filling. WoodWool if you wish to stuff the nose for a harder feel and easier sticthing of the nose.

Depending on what joints you use you'll need varying tools. E.G Cotter pins you'll need a cotter key or Long nose needle pliers.

Of course fabric, A tight woven backing with no strech is essential. Mohair is the best choice but can seem expencive. Knit strech backing will make your bear go out of shape (Most newbies do that mistake, Myself
included!) also for paw pads most use ultra-suede.

Oh also, Stitching should match your fabric BACKING. So it blends with the backing not the fur.

Also thick craft cardboard to glue your pattern peices too for ease of drawing around on fabric.

Think I covered very limited basics.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask, We are here to help and glad too :)

Good luck and keep us updated (Pictures not just welcomed but LOVED!!!) bear_thumb

Check out the link.

http://www.dear-bears.com/Merchant2/mer … e=Patterns

Richy~

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Lisa Welcome!

Like Richy said above whatever pattern you choose will have a list of supplies needed to make the bear.  I, like lots of folks, made my first bear ever using a pattern found at sewing stores (McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity, Etc).  I used basic supplies like safety joints found at a craft shop/sewing store, safety eyes or button eyes, a wooden spoon to stuff the bear.  If you've found an artist pattern you like then that too would list the needed supplies.  If you're ordering the pattern online from a bear making supply shop you could always ask that company what supplies are suggested from the pattern, so that you can place one quick order rather than wait for the pattern and then get your supplies. BearyCheap has a nice selection of patterns from beginner on up, and they sell the supplies as well (one shipping charge for your first try). I'm sure there are other shops too, this is the one I know of right off the top of my head.

You can find patterns at individual artist web sites (for free or for purchase), eBay, and your local sewing store. SueAnn has a great pattern here on TT  under Free Patterns.

Once you've made that first bear and are bitten by the "Bear bug"  bear_grin you can add to your wish list of supplies and tools: cotter keys for turning pins, or lock nut jointing systems instead, all the lovely glass eyes,  hemostats and scissors used for tinier bears, etc. 

I hope that helps you out a little bit!  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

Board footer