Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh no line completely to the edge.  It gives it strength for sewing.  It can rip so much more easily if it isn't lined (experienced it myself).

bearsbylisa Posts: 8

Hello Bambridge Bears!!!...........thank you so much........I appreciate any and all feedback!  I want to make this teddy a success! I'll be sure to "glue to the edge" then.......thank you for the kind advice.  I didn't think anyone would be reading on Christmas but I do appreciate the kind replies.   Beary Best wishes to everyone!!!   Lisa bear_original

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

HI Lisa
We are addicts here and we love to help where we can.  There is nearly alwaysa someone about.  I hope your Xmas was /is good i'm in Australia and it is just after 3pm on boxing day.  Hope to see you here more.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've found just about any type of gluestick will work, as you just want the muslin to stick to the fur long enough to sew.  I prefer the ones that change colour so I can see where I've put the glue.

I use muslin to line all my bears with, as its on hand, non coloured, and does the job admirably.  When I glue, I sparingly glue the muslin, then apply to the hide.  You'll want to keep the hide as dry as you possibly can ~ and definitely take the muslin all the way to the edge!  It will be the muslin taking the strain, not the hide.  That's especially important with fox as the hide tends to be oh so thin. 

Fox will be a little trickier to work with simply becuase the fur is that much thicker, and the hide that much thinner.  If you want to gain some confidence before cutting into the fox, pick up an old rabbit coat to practice with first.  I'm pretty sure after Christmas they'll be reasonable, especially on ebay. 

Oh yes, and you'll want your vaccuum cleaner on hand because the fur literally flies.  Fox is not that bad, relatively speaking, as the longer hair tends to stick together.  Rabbit can be truly evil with fly away hair ~ very much like cat hair. 

Welcome to Teddy Talk!!!  :hug: And have fun!!!   bear_thumb

Board footer