Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

catmouse.jpgHi! I am new to the forum but not to needlefelting. My question is...when you are done with your feltie, do you just trim away the fly-aways? Or do you actually wet it down? I have done both.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I trim and I have also used a "fuzzie shaver a/k/a a fabric shaver" to do it also bear_original that is a new trick I'm using LOL

Usually the firmer you felt, the less amount of stray fuzzers you have bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

p.s. your mousie and kitty are too cute!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Absolutely - a smoother finisher comes from longer hours with the needle. Most sheep breeds will be contained this way though some are bristly no matter what you do and some will felt themselves just in over-handling.

Find a few breeds that work well for your style of creating (soft, medium or very firm) and stay with those. Always keep your ears open for someone suggesting another breed. A pinch to sample tells you so much about the type of fiber, the producer and how it needles.

And ALWAYS demand to know what breed you're buying! We have to train the suppliers to KNOW what they're selling (enough already of the Jump-On-The-Current-Bandwagon-And-Become-A-Distributor!!) and pass on that information. Spinners, weavers, knitters all know, so should Needle (and Wet) Felters!!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I am using a Corriedale and my felties are very firm to the touch. I feel like if I needle any longer I will make a hole. I think they are just felting themselves from handling them. I live in Texas and its humid as all get out. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Thanks Kim!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I forgot to ask, what breed do y'all like?

I do buy from a very reputable dealer locally. However, I have purchased some wools through mail.

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

I buy already dyed wool and it is very good. If there are any fuzz left I just shave it off.
Lena 57.gif

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I'm totally with you Bobbie. Knowing the fibre and where it comes from is very important.  bear_thumb
Differnt wools need different needles. ....etc......
I have used a NZ corriedale sliver which I absolutely adore. I found that one has few stray hairs. I do wet it a little. I put a drop of dishliquid in a dipping bowl and just use my fingers to lightly rub over the fibres and if any strays are left after that I snip with the scissors. I also have side needled while the fibre is slightly damp. It just tucks the loose strands back into the mix. But I must point out!! I needle felt onto mohair. I dont usually needle felt critters.
I have only made the odd couple.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Thats a real cute cat and mouse even with some stray hairs, I normally find that its felt and felt till the fibres are all neatly felted in. Dufferent sized needles also help.

I have shaved some off - when I started off, and if I messed up I just took some new wool and felted over- the joy of needle felting.
Personally you learn as you go along, needles types, wool types, and experience and more experience.

Lynette

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Interesting thought here...

Most of my things are undyed Corriedale with highlights of dyed Merino,

I dyed several strands of Corriedale the other day and it changed the dynamics of the fiber...for the better. It made it a smidge more coarse. Which in turn made for less stray hairs and a firmer piece.

Kind of like when I highlight my limp hair, it will style better when I have color or highlights in it. I know I don't have wool hair but possibly some of the same compounds in a hair strand when chemicals or natural dyes are added.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Oh, oh! This is right up my alley! One could almost think your post was a plant, Jennifer!

First, you've discovered that the more roughened up fiber needles together better. Not just swishing/'messing' them around in orientation to each other, but roughening up the texture of each strand.

Second - that's EXACTLY what happens to human hair. I got my 'Cosmetology' (beautician/hairdresser) license in 1960. The classes on Bleaching and Dyeing (and permanent waving) were my first introduction to Anatomy of Hair 101.
Picture fish scales or roof shingles overlapping each other, around and around, the length of the strands. The edges of the scales lay smoothly down against the layer below.

All of the the chemical (as well as heating) treatments get in under these scales/shingles and lift them away from the center of the strand as well as damage (break up) the formerly smooth edge.

Where your hair was shiny and smooth to your head, each strand laying nicely next to its neighbor, they've now become like a hair-on-end Halloween cat - or the Ruffled Feathers of a Wet Hen! They stand away from each other because the bristly scales are raised and taking up room.

Where you once had finer textured hair, you now have VOLUME! But it comes with a price tag; damaged hair that cannot 'heal itself' despite what the commercials for conditioners claim. Once broken or split or chemically/heat damaged, it's permanent. Removing is the only solution - after the interminable wait for growth. (Ever get a bad home permanent? That's right up to the scalp, the longest wait for growth - besides pregnancy - in a Girl's Life!)

So you can see why one of the reasons that the smoother fibers like Merino take longer to needle together: their finer 'scales' are smoothly laying down in place and aren't as likely to grab onto their equally smooth neighbor's scales. Go for the matte finish, fine-to-medium breeds. You'll feel like Champ!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Jennifer, when not needlefelting are you out mountain biking ???
curing everything- ha- had any broken bones yet- hubby is slowly recovering from a nasty arm break, 10 weeks down the line and Dr says about another 8 to still go, think I will stick to the odd "poked" finger.
My son has his Provincial colours for mountain bike racing  and is presently training for Iron Man, dad was as well till he came off his mountain bike.

Lynette

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I had a feeling that is what happened. When I took a wet felting class years ago (from Jill Gully) we got a lesson on what a "strand" is and why it felts. And what happens when you buy the wrong wool (for felting) that has been washed, stripped of the scales and now called "Wonder Wool or Wonder Washed" wool,  something like that. It doesn't have the "barbs" anymore and will not felt properly.

Yea, my pink bear I am working on is hard as a rock. Its awesome.

Thank you for your explanation, that was very thoughtful for you to write that all out.

I love this board.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
fredbear wrote:

Jennifer, when not needlefelting are you out mountain biking ???
curing everything- ha- had any broken bones yet- hubby is slowly recovering from a nasty arm break, 10 weeks down the line and Dr says about another 8 to still go, think I will stick to the odd "poked" finger.
My son has his Provincial colours for mountain bike racing  and is presently training for Iron Man, dad was as well till he came off his mountain bike.

Lynette

Funny you should mention that.  bear_whistle I am an avid bike rider/racer - its truly in my soul. I've had a concussion, broken teeth and a cracked jaw bone and other miscellaneous bloody injuries. HOWEVER....I had a horrible wreck this summer and broke my hand in two places and exploded my knuckle, tearing everything inside. That was in July, on vacation, in another state with 2 weeks still to go on vacation. Yea, made for a great souvenir with a huge pricetag.

I have been in therapy for 6 months, had surgery on both sides of my hand and was told last week by my surgeon that I have to have ANOTHER surgery in April, then more therapy. <sigh> I have had a zillion shots and still head to the trail with a numb hand. I can't grip the handlebar all the way around and tape my fingers together for safety. I can't imagine falling on it. Ouch.

I was actually quilting a lot and had to stop because the pain was too intense and I couldn't control the material in the machine. I can't open and close my hand all the way. And my pinky is completely limp. So I picked up my felting again because I HAD to get out my creative thoughts. And here I am.

So in answer to your question...yes I ride every minute I can.  bear_grin

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

hhhhaaa Jennifer, yes you are a TRUE mountain biker then, are you going to continue - yes. mmmmm
I REFUSE to go and watch Dale race, bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

I am sure the needle felting will be good therapy for those hands, cant think of any other more intense excercise.

Lynette

Board footer