Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

antoinetterh Seabrook Texas

Hello ladies, I am some what new to TT and to the whole world of making bears. I have yet to start one but I wanted to get a book first. I went to the library yesterday and they did not have much for me to go by, besides I would like to own my book so I can have it whenever I need. I looked on Ebay and there were so many. But is there certain books that have been your favorite or really provided lots of information? I got the free Goldie pattern and the list of things I need but what other tools will I need to start. I started looking at Beary Cheap for the items I'm going to need to order and there are sooo many choices. I also,(from reading other post)understand that Mohair is best to use, but since this is my first I'm not sure if I want to go for the good stuff yet. Maybe experiment first, in fear that I will ruin expensive Mohair bear_shocked Or will I just provide frustration experimenting with the cheap stuff??? I think I have the basics down but I feel like there is so many thing I need that I might forget to order something. Any suggestions or list, or just lead me in the right direction would be very helpful!! bear_grin Thank you ladies so much!

Anxious and waiting to start,
Antoinette bear_original

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

HI Antoinette,
Imentioned a book in the New Members section called 101 Bears to Make.  I LOVE this book and I see one on ebay that ends in 9 hour in the USA ( not sure where you live ?) .  The current bid is 14.99 - a great bargain. here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/101-Bears-To-Make-b … dZViewItem

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Anything by Jennifer Laing will definitely be useful to you!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Antoinette I too love the 101 bears to make by Nancy Tillberg. I also recommend: Ted Menten's Teddy Bear Studio: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Your Own One-Of-A-Kind Artist Teddy Bear.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Welcome to the wonderful world of teddy bears Antoinette!

I LOVE Amazon.com!  I get tons of my books there... often in the used section.

My favorites for starting out were

Jennifer Laing... any of hers!  (I agree!!)
The Encyclopedia of Teddy Bear Making Techniques by Alicia Merrett & Ann Stephens
The ABC's of Making Teddy Bears by Linda Mead

I have and adore Ted Menton's book.... but I think it's for those that have a little bit of bear making experience.  If I was starting out from scratch again... these are the 3 I'd buy FIRST!

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

I just got The Complete Book Of Teddy-Bear Making Techniques by Alicia Merrett & Ann Stephens.  I find this book to be VERY informative and pretty much teaches you about everything involved with bear-making.

Here's The Link : http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Ted … F8&s=books

Hope I Helped,

Jeremy

Newelley.Bears

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

"A Bear of My Own" is a good one as well as "101 Bears to Make". Good luck with your first bear!
Bear Hugs!
Melanie

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I was in the market as well for a good book. I bought "How to Make Enchanting Miniature Teddy Bears" by Debbie Kesling and it is very good. It answered all my questions, no secrets withheld, lots of tips and gives about 10 patterns for practice. The photographs are step by step and the bears are done in chronological order from easy to hard. Amazon has several good books to choose from.

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

All of the books mentioned are in my library and they are all wonderful. I've been making bears a long time and I find myself referring back to Nancy Tillburg and Jennifer Laing's books most of the time. I think that they are the two best authors for both the beginning artist and for the experienced artist. I would suggest all the books by these two author/artists as great reference books for your growing library of teddy bears books.

~ Kathy Myers

Is Constructing Teddy and His Friends, by Jennifer Laing one of her good ones? Where can i find Nancy Tillburgs books?

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Nancy Tillberg is actually a member of TT.  Her name is "artheart" , and you might be able to get them from her directly if you email and ask.  Also , just google the title and you should find lots of places to get them .  I see another ebay auction for her
101 Bears to Make book .  Here is the link:  http://cgi.ebay.com/101-Bears-to-Make_W … dZViewItem

Thanks Tammy. I had looked on Ebay but could not find one, but I'll be sure to check this one out.

Board footer