Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

I was just wondering..........how often do you find you create an entirely new design from scratch?
I seem to have two patterns that I keep going back to and 'tweek' , or add things to.  I've been wanting to do and entirely new design ( I don't know what yet, mind you) but just haven't had the good chunk of time I need to sit and do it!
Do you have many designs?  or just a few that you change things on every so often?

Just curious bear_happy

Hugs,
AndreaM bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Until the past 6 months I had about 8 designs that I used regularly.
In the past 6 months I have designed 4 new patterns. But ya know what? 3 of 'em, as it turns out, are almost identical! They are different from my 'old' designs, I'll give 'em that, but I see I am now stuck in a rut with big noses, potbellies and big feet. Not very original! So I'll be headed back to the drawing board for something entirely different before long. I get bored quickly!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Well I have my Fairy Doogles pattern that I finally got just the way I wanted it.
And then the other day first introduced my mermaid pattern. So I really only have the
2 patterns right now.
I love working on a new design pattern so I'm sure I will try and come up with something else

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I can go for ages just tweeking..then I do a whole new pattern..and spend ages tweeking that.

I have 7 bear patterns, two cats and two rabbits...and others rumbling around..I just 'go with the flow' !

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I have a great big portfolio full to bursting with 'mix 'n match' bits for different sizes of bears.  Once in a while, I sit down and design completely from scratch to keep things fresh, then that design will be further developed over time, until I tire of it.  It's fun to start from scratch, but very time consuming, so not always practical in terms of keeping cash flowing in!

K Pawz Guest

I just spent the whole weekend designing a few new dog breed patterns and the little westie that I just put up is the first of them!! With my bears I continually tweek the pattern and mix and match pieces...the scanner is great too for resizing pieces....

Hugs,
Krista

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I'm always designing new patterns. I also tweek a pattern I like. I interchange pattern pieces and then redraw them then tweek them then toss them then draw a whole new design tweek it mix it up ...etc.... bear_rolleyes
Because I have no idea where my designing takes me I draw the pattern pieces I have used onto paper and keep it together with a photo and fabric samples.
I'm really happy with the pattern I am using at the moment. So I have made two critters with it without tweeks.
I think this must be a first for me.
I actually work on my critters on a large sketch pad. Then when an idea hits I can quickly sketch it.  I have been known to push my bear aside and carry on sketching until I have a whole new design. bear_grin
I start everyday with a fresh page.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

We talked about this last Fall, as I remember asking if I should keep my hundreds of complete bear templates or pitch them (Jared advised SAVE) as I don't work with fabric anymore.

I didn't reuse them in 10 years and that number doesn't count the tweakings.

I kept entirely separate lines for kits and my retail work, as I do now in NFing.

(Going back to) OOAK means once with that pattern to me.

I'll let me grandkids take them to the dumpster (but I sure could use the space now!)

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I ususally use the same three patterns but every once in a while, I will tweek one or I will come up with a whole new one (like my big bent arm, big footed bear, Twink).... Depends on what kind of mood I am in (I probably do 4-6  patterns a year, at the most!)

Board footer