Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

antoinetterh Seabrook Texas

Hi, everyone. I kind of feel stupid for asking this but...I have no idea what steel shot is or where to get it??!?? :redface: I am a few steps into making my first bear(started last night), and i have yet to get any filling for my bear. I have the fiberfill, but no steel shot or glass beads. Any other suggestions on different filling materials or just where to get them will help! I am so excited to see what my bear is going to look like. I got excited last night when I sewed the first ear and saw it take shape! Hopefully I won't mess anything up  :pray: I know you can get glass beads online but is there any "specific" beads that I should use or does it matter at all?? Thanks! bear_grin

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi

As for the steel shots:
You can buy some really fine steel shot at Probaer in Germany.
They have an online shop: www.probaer.de
I use them for my small ones

Hope that helps.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Sassy carries two sizes.
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.c … atch=exact

I looked EVERYWHERE in my town and couldn't find it.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Depending on where you are located some larger stores like Walmart or Kmart, that have hunting supply areas, carry shot. Hunting and fishing stores will carry it as well.  CR Crafts has a ton of supplies from armatures to fill. http://www.crscraft.com  You can even find poly pellets in most craft and hobby shops.
Hope that helps a little.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Antoinette, It would be helpful to know what country you live in.
Not all steel shot and not all glass beads are created equal. You can seach this section for topics on both which we've discussed in the past so you'll know.

Basically: Be sure you get STAINLESS Steel Shot. A member of TT, Luann Bowen sells it here: http://www.lulubears.com/supplies.html    Regular steel shot will rust and that rust powder will discolor the bear. Glass comes in various sized grit from sand to large beads. It will depend in part on what size bears you are making. CRSCRAFTS http://www.crscraft.com/products/vProdu … chOffset=x sells two sizes of beads, both are great for just about any sized bear. Luann also sells glass beads which you will find at her link above.

These resources are US suppliers though I'm sure they'll ship international but the shipping may be outrageous because of the weight! That is why it's helpful to know where you live so we can provide sources in your country.

(Chrissi & I were posting about CRSCrafts at the same time, sorry!)

Thanks Daphne! I live in Texas, so I'll take a look at Luanns site.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I don't use steel shot, but I do use the glass beads Here is a link to them. This place is the most economical I have found
http://www.crscraft.com/products/vProdu … chOffset=x
Sonya

Lynn Wisconsin

I bought some zinc plated Daisy BB's to use for weighting bears from Gander Mountain.  My husband, who sells plated parts, said that he thought they would work as good as stainless steel as there wouldn't be any dust or rust.  What do you think?

Lynn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I think the size of your bears would make the choice easier to make.

I used to sell glass bead and industrial-slumped sand (clean, rounded edges, etc) in a variety of sizes. These were most helpful for minis, as most of the supplies like shot, plastic & glass beading and others are fine if your work is 6 - 8" and larger. Totally impractical for minis as the create bumps like hives!

I sold my supplies in a 'syrup jug', plastic bottles with a funnel spot that exactly held one lb of sand. As the glass was a bit heavier, the volume for 1 lb didn't quite fill the jug. I was pleasantly surprised after starting with Luann's stainless steel, that 1 lb filled the jug to only about 2/3 full! It was heavier by 1/3 than the supplies I had carried before that.

They are very fine grains so they easily slide in anywhere, especially through very short seam openings, but give a lot of heft for the amount inserted.

If you make anything up to 6 inchers, do give Luann's a try!

Lynn Wisconsin

Thanks for the advise.  I have only made a couple of small bears and I have used plastic pellets, I will have to give the stainless steel from Luann's a try.

Lynn

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
antoinetterh wrote:

I live in Texas

what city?

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Lynn, if I'm remembering my obscure history correctly... the cables supporting the Brooklyn Bridge were zinc-coated steel, and the originals lasted for something along the lines of 100 years.  I agree with your husband, and wouldn't worry too much about those BBs
bear_original

Kelly

Lynn Wisconsin

I think that's good enough for me!!!!

Lynn

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Sassy's also carry stainless steel shot. I ordered some just last week.

nimbleknot wrote:
antoinetterh wrote:

I live in Texas

what city?

Seabrook. Right down the street from the Nasa Space Center. And to think i havent been there yet?!?

I'm actually not too sure how big or small my bear will be.  :redface: Like i said this is my first bear I'm attempting. I am making Goldie(the free pattern SueAnn provided), so if anyone knows how big that bear is that would help. I did visit a couple of web sites, like Luanns, but was kind of clueless as to how much or how small the grain?? Does it even matter what kind of glass beads? I mean, would you use steel shot and glass beads in one bear or just one of them? I thought i started my bear out good but feel a little overwhelmed.  bear_wacko

I am making Goldie(the free pattern SueAnn provided), so if anyone knows how big that bear is that would help.

So if i would of read my instructions right, Goldie is 13 1/2 inches.  bear_ermm

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

kind of clueless as to how much or how small the grain?? Does it even matter what kind of glass beads? I mean, would you use steel shot and glass beads in one bear or just one of them? I thought i started my bear out good but feel a little overwhelmed.

I'd say the size of Luann's SS is about the same as coarse groud pepper.
And these are best for minis.

With a 13+" bear, you might be better served to use the larger ss shot, or otherwise coated beads and glass. The purpose it to place it in particular sections to give a nice weight: in the bottom of the body and lower legs helps it sit & stand better than fiber stuffing alone.

And you shouldn't feel overwhelmed - you've come to a place wth the best of the best as fellow members! Flip that feeling around and see all of the possiblities that these ideas & answers are opening to you.
Your only problem is going to be writing down all of your ideas and TIME to work through all of them!!

Board footer