Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Stellajella Wien

Jennifer  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  orange poopies are errrrrmmmm ...öööö...well at least they sound like an orangy pastry  :crackup:  :crackup: orange poopies are created by my uncontrollable fingers in cooperation with my uncontrollable  wireless keyboard.
About a year ago Shelli called for a challenge and posted some items that had to be in this avatar, and one of them was a bunch of orange poPPies.
Now, come one, come on, show us your St.Patrick´s day contribution!
Sarahjane  I know how you felt doing that bear_original I had no ida about photoshop until I was thrille by Shelli´s challenge! You´ll learn a lot, just wait and see! And I´m curious abour your soon to come rainbow shamrock, I´ve been thinking of doing these, but I forgot about it, while doing the avatar  :crackup:
Sandi I love your logo! Are you irish??

Gaby bear_flower

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia
Stellajella wrote:

Sandi I love your logo! Are you irish??

Gaby :rose:

No Gaby...I'm an Aussie bred from British stock! :crackup:

...no more gotta get some bears done!

Stellajella Wien

Sandi, see how quickly you learn how to do things with your foto editing program!
Marvelous!
I hope you´ll do some more ;)
Which part of Britain do your ancestors come from?

Have a smashing evening!

Gaby bear_flower

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Hey Gaby!!! LOL. I love orange poppies. They are the state flower of California which is where I am from. But now I have been a Texan for 14 years and bluebonnets are our state flower. I remember picking bluebonnets as a kid in California (because they weren't a protected species) and they hold a special place in my heart. But I have always called them Lupins. In Texas they call them bluebonnets. In the spring, MILLIONS of them bloom and it is something every Texan does every spring...have their photos taken in a field of bluebonnets. The imagery of masses of bluebonnets is quite amazing.

I have my bear idea...will start this week. Honest!

I have to think and ponder about the digital portion. I DO have some ideas though.

Stellajella Wien

Jennifer, blue bonnets! I love them! I planted them in my garten together with some old english light pink roses and I just love to look at this combination.
I hope, that close to Fort Worth they have blue bonnet fields like I saw them on the internet now, as I´m going to visite end of march..I´m all excited now! bear_grin
( Yes I googled the plants under pix and foudn out that I know blue bonets.)

Have fun creating!

Gaby bear_flower

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

StPatDay_Avatar.jpgWow that was quite a challenge. I couldn't get what I wanted to do in Paintshop so I had to go find Photoshop. Here is what I came up with. I also tried to bend that rainbow but couldn't figure out how.

Now I have to change my regular avatar to something better until March.

Shelli, how did you get the dots around the brim of the bears hat?

Hugs,

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi again!  I've been sick for a few days and am just catching up; sorry to take a while to answer your question, Gijzette.

I created a NEW LAYER in Photoshop.  Then I chose the PENCIL tool because it makes a hard round edged circle.  I set the size to equal the dots, then I just hand-dotted the edge of the hat with the circles. 

You could also use the PAINTBRUSH but the PENCIL tool seems to make a harder edge.  Preference, I guess.

You could also set the BRUSH PRESETS so that the pencil dots were a precise distance apart, then swipe or stroke them along the line where you want to paint them.  But I took the lazy way out and skipped that step!  If I had wanted more precise placement I would have changed the BRUSH PRESETS so that the distance between each dot was exactly the same.

Last, I used a LAYER EFFECT on the dots.  I can't remember which one and I didn't save the layered file to consult, but I think I added a BEVEL to the edge.

Rememer that there are usually twenty bajillion ways to do any one thing in these programs, and that each program varies even from version to version.  But the underlying mindset of these programs tends to be the same, I've found, even if the features and functions differ slightly.

Hope that helps!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Shelli,

Sorry to hear you were not feeling well. I do hope you are feeling better now.

Wonderful explanation as always. I will definitely give that a try.

Hugs,

K Pawz Guest

hmmmmm might have to look into this challenge...I recieved the hunter green as a free piece with one of my orders and had no idea what to do with it!!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Can the bear be out of Sassy fur ???? Or does it have to be mohair from Intercal ?

lw2ndstar Annapolis, Maryland

St-Pats-Lynnes.jpgI finally had time to have a go at this.  I love these digital challenges!  I learn so much every time!!

Don't ask how I bent that rainbow - it took forever, and I tried everything in the book.  I'm using Corel PhotoPaint 8, and it's from 1998 (ancient in computer age).

Now if I could only knuckle down and sew an actual bear this year.  I have no excuse.  I am just too lazy and/or waiting for inspiration to strike!
Lynne

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

pp-redheart1.jpg

Lynne, don't let it go to long . I challenge you !!! I want to see what you got girlie !!!! Show US the BEARIE !!!!

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Stellajella Wien

Gijzette, sweet! And isn´t it great, what you learned by doing it!

Krista, the hunter green looks coool, congrats!

Lynne, what a great avatar, I envy you for the bent rainbow and the sparkles!!!! bear_shocked

Gaby bear_flower

Thanks for the encouragement, Jodi!  bear_grin Your bears always make me smile!  bear_flower

Earlier today I caught sight of a small piece of blue mohair in my closet and thought, "I should make a brother or sister for Tumbleweed" (that's the bear in my St. Pat's Challenge avatar, above).  So maybe I will FINALLY start another bear soon!!  bear_whistle 

The bent rainbow was as much fun to make as having teeth pulled.  I think I've got a few dozen more gray hairs!  bear_angry   I got the sparkles from another program, Painter Classic (vintage 1999).  I don't use that program much, but I love the sparkles too!

Lynne
(I am still laughing about the orange poopies!)

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

These challenges are always so much fun. Fun to do, fun to see what everyone else has done, fun to read about orange poopies.....  bear_laugh

Here is my digital effort. Now for a bear.... that will take a bit longer I fear....

stpat07.jpg

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I finally had a few minutes to make my St. Paddy's Day avatar.  I don't know how you bent those rainbows Bonnie and Lynne, pretty good.  I tried everything and even read the instructions - still couldn't figure it out.  Great avatars, everyone ! ! !

digital_challenge1.jpg

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh Patty I like yours the best !!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Well thanks, Jodi.  Hopefully my bear won't drink too much green beer.  Don't want him falling off the avatar.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I heard green bear doesn't make you drunk !!!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Jodi . . . green "bear"???

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Sorry BEER !!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  DAH !!!!!!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

I don't know how you bent those rainbows Bonnie and Lynne,

Um, I don't think you could call what I did bending it so much as warping it! bear_laugh  bear_wacko

I tried all kinds of things in PSE and I'm sure there is a way to do it properly but I couldn't figure it out. Finally I went to FILTER > DISTORT > LIQUIFY  - Then I made my brush really big so it covered nearly the entire rainbow and pulled it to the side. Sloppy but the best I could come up with.
If someone knows the proper way to do it I would really like to learn!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I can't do any of the avatar things !! I have to rely on my dear friends when they take pity on me !!! :crackup: For the life of me I can't do much on my photo shop. Now I can put righting on a photo but can't transfer the picture to any where. I can only keep pulling it up again only to look at it !!! Drives me nuts !!!! I need to get an easy program for children !!! :crackup:

I did it sort of like Bonnie did, by warping it.  And I tried everything too.  I can't even remember what worked!  bear_wacko

I can make text fit itself around a curve, but not a bitmap (picture, like the rainbow).  Gosh, there MUST be an easy way to do this.
Anybody know of magic software?  bear_grin
Lynne

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I have finished a bear for the St Paddy challenge. His name is Lucky.
I have also posted his photo in the gallery.

Lucky_3.jpg
Sonya

Board footer