Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I read your post

I'm buried in prototype development for Boyds and show prep for Nevada City (which I may end up cancelling.)  Part of what's holding me back on EVERY front is this icky right hand injury of last week which makes it hard not just to make bears but also, to type!

You can't cancel!! I have been looking forward to meeting you there. As a matter of fact, I have been advertising for you . I have had some of my customers who actually live out of state (as well as some local) who have asked about the show. I cheered them on into trying to make it by saying that you would be there! lol. Now you KNOW, that you cannot disappoint your fans! ( of whom I happen to be one) Please tell me you will just work day and night so that you can make it (ducking)  :crackup:  :crackup:
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

<sigh>  I soooooooo appreciate your note, Sonya.  I really don't want to cancel since I LOVE the NC show as anyone who's ever read my posts here will already know.

The problem is twofold.  Number one... my timeline for Boyds is much tighter than I anticipated it would be when I signed up for NC, which takes away time I planned to spend on NC prep.  I'm not complaining, mind you; I'm so excited about my Boyds work.  I'm just saying that I expected to be able to focus exclusively on NC prep for February and March and I have quite a few things to do for Boyds in that timeframe which have to be my first priority.

Second... If you didn't see the photo elsewhere, THIS icky thing happened to me last Thursday, making it really painful to type and bearmake.  My stitches don't even come out until late next week.  So for now it's all pull-y and itchy and ow-ie.  I'm not a wimp but I don't want to overuse my hand, either, as it heals, or I'll be left with a really wide scar and a slow healing process.

FiveStitchHandWound2.jpg

My inclination at this point is to show up with fewer bears than hoped, but to still show up. 

But I remember last summer so well, when I got myself so stressed out that I started having weird heart palpitations that thumped so loud they kept me up nights.  I've vowed not to do that to myself again so I guess in my comment, above, about cancelling, I was just keeping my options open.

I'm not cancelling unless I really can't get anything much made.  I need to at least make back my table fee but beyond that I pretty much view the NC weekend as a mini-vacation anyway; it's so lovely there in a very old-time, California Gold Rush way.  Plus they have great fondue at FRIAR TUCKS, and the restaurant COUNTRY ROSE is a real favorite of mine.  My husband comes with me and he's content to read and do Sudoku and play on his electronic gadgets and keep me company and we have nights free together.  Pretty nice stuff.

And let's not forget the awesome collectors who come through the show.  They're so incredibly friendly & nice, as is the staff there, and I've done well there the last two years, all of which argue for me to do everything in my power to attend.

So... okay, Sonya... just for you... I will...

bear_flower

PS  Thank you for the advertising.  I admit I'm looking forward to meeting you, too!  You've got fans as well, Sonya!

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Oh Shelli Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What happened? Man that looks so sore!!!!!!

Bear Hugs
Jodi

denisepurrington Out Of The Forest Bears
Seattle
Website

OWWWWWY Shelli?  What in the World did you do?  bear_shocked
I hope it's all better soon.
No more heart palpitations  bear_happy
Big Hugs,
Denise  bear_original

cbearlover Teddies by Connie
Nevada City

Shelli

You better show up at the NC Bear Show.  We will all miss you if you dont, that is including the customers...hee

Do what you can and come and have fun.  You need a rest and some fun

See you next month
connie bear_flower

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

guess I missed the whole hand thing Shelli...what in the world caused those stitches???

Hugs &

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Ouchies!!!!  What happened?  Relax, breathe....hoping you stay destressed and make your show  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I was doing my usual melodramatic play-acting thing, being silly.  Hubby Tim's birthday cake from a few days prior was sitting on the countertop, along with the long Wusthof knife we had been using to cut it.  In a re-enactment of PSYCHO, I grabbed the knife and plunged it straight down through the cake and against the tile countertop.  The knife tip broke off and either (a) ricocheted back into the fleshy part of my hand like a bullet or (b) kinda "bent" at the breaking point, flipping up as it did so just in time to slice into my hand as it finished its downward stroke toward the cake. 

I can't say for sure what happened, though, because I had no idea I was injured for about a minute or so.  I just kept on talking and waving my arms around like a goof and it wasn't until I felt the warm *drip*drip*drip of blood running down my pinky finger and falling to the floor that I looked down and saw what I swear was a three foot splay of pooled blood at my feet.  Of course it was like 1 mm deep, that "pool", and it was far less blood than it appeared. 

But I freaked out for a moment and said, "Ummmm... I think I cut myself."  Tim came over and helped me look and I swear that at first we could not figure out what happened except to follow the blood trail all over my right hand.  What we found was this really yukky gaping one inch wound with all sorts of gooey blobby grossness gurgling out along with the blood.  Truly, it was like a FANGORA cover, only it was happening in real time.

Luckily, I'm a medically minded gal and after a brief moment of light headed nausea, I became fascinated with the whole wound exam thing, but had to stop looking at it to pressurize the wound and get it to stop bleeding.  After that, I drove myself to the ER with a towel strip tied around my hand.  They kept me waiting forever but otherwise treated me well and the worst part about the actual incident itself was that I didn't get to bed until about 3:00 a.m. all told.

As the swelling has subsided it's actually been hurting more and today it's itching the bejeebers out of me.  I'm hoping it's well enough by tomorrow that I can begin sewing again.  I've been typing a bit more (physical therapy???) the last day or so, which actually helps I think, and cutting out some patterns, which is a bit more tender.

Anyway, it's just a dumb old flesh wound, nothing serious or life threatening.  But it sure did come at an inconvenient time!!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

oh ouch!!  oh dear, the things we do to ourselves hey  bear_wacko heal up soon Shelli's hand  :hug:

Adkins, Texas

I just have one question...before the melodrama...didn't you have the split second thought...don't do this...something bad could happen???
Heal fast & well!!!

Hugs &

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

makafelts wrote:

didn't you have the split second thought...don't do this...something bad could happen???

Nope, not a one!  That's the nature of the free spirit!  Act now, think later! 

Laughing here...   :crackup:

Actually, I was really just caught up in the moment when it happened.  It wasn't like I gathered an audience in folding chairs and said, "Hey, check this out!"  It was more a spontaneous reaction to the conversation I was having with Tim.  The "spontaneous" part is where I went wrong, and lost out on that opportunity for forethought.

Live and learn.

PS  Knives break when they contact hard surfaces.

Adkins, Texas

I only asked cause ...the one rare time I had to have stitches...a number of years ago,I was making splints from black ash...for weaving baskets...and as I put the draw knife to the splint, I thought...don't do that...you could get cut...and sure as shooting...with my hubby down the road a ways...helping a neighbor...I got a nasty gash...and had to go to the ER for stitches & also had to explain to every ER person around...yes I was working on baskets when it happened...they came in droves to hear the story!!!
Hugs &

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm convinced these things happen for a reason... to slow us down.... to change our path, no matter how minor. To draw our attention elsewhere. What ever the reason might be, I do think there is one.... though it may never be known. My inclination is that it to make you slow down...... not over do it... not get your stress level up so your heart is beating in your head again. Perhaps you should consider it a warning! All said out of love of course... not finger waggling or eye-rolling.... just don't need anything worse happening to you as the year rolls on and sucks you in to all sorts of fun but taxing stuff!

:hug:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

#1 that picture totally gives me the creepy crawlies...I just hate the way stitches look...all knotted and sticking out like that....<uggghh-shivers> I'm getting all goose-bumpily just thinking about it.  But seriously (and this is where the voice of my mother comes in) thank God it didn't snap up and hit your face, neck, or eye..... you're very lucky the blade tip hit your hand, I guess.  As much as even that stinks!  Take it easy and let that hand heal  :hug:

(#2..call Wusthof and get a replacement knife sent out to you asap! bear_whistle  bear_grin )

:hug:
~Chrissi

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Shelli:"What we found was this really yukky gaping one inch wound with all sorts of gooey blobby grossness gurgling out along with the blood.  Truly, it was like a FANGORA cover, only it was happening in real time."

I love this description

"PS  Knives break when they contact hard surfaces."  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I am seeing LAWSUIT, how dare their knife break when you are doing your psycho imitation, shouldn't they have tested their product for that, come on, we all have picked up a big knife and made the "eee...eee....eee.... " sound that was in the movie Psycho.  Shelli you crack me up!!!!!! What a great story as to why your hand got cut.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Ohhh Shelli that looks painful I hope it heals soon and you can get back into your wonderful bears.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

cbearlover wrote:

You better show up at the NC Bear Show.  We will all miss you if you dont, that is including the customers...hee

Do what you can and come and have fun.  You need a rest and some fun

See you next month
connie :rose:

By the way, Connie... A special thank you for this.   :hug:  Will Bill be wearing his teddy ears again this year???  That's my favorite first-look at the show each year; Bill in those ears.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

makafelts wrote:

had to go to the ER for stitches & also had to explain to every ER person around...yes I was working on baskets when it happened...they came in droves to hear the story!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your gaping wound, Charlotte... but your tale about the ER folks is familiar to me.  The doc who stitched me up said, "I never knew birthday cakes could be so dangerous" and also that mine was the best story of the evening.  Which is actually surprising, since I saw no less than two handcuffed patients dragged thru the ER during the brief time I was there!!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Aww Shelli, I don't know whether to laugh or cry! That looks like it hurts, but I sure did get the funniest visual from your description of how it happened. I was laughing with tears running down my cheeks. Just heal up and get better and I really do hope you make it.
Hugs
Sonya

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Ouch, Shel you daft thing you, what a sight that must have been. Your re-enactment of Psycho went a bit wonky there. Next time try re-enacting something without the use of a knife, I'm sure it would be less painful. I hope your hand heals up very soon so you can get to the show without too much stress. Take it easy!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Shell, I am so sorry, ladyfriend, what on earth did you do?  Have you already told us elsewhere? 

I am sorry, playing hooky getting ready for mom, yikes...

Good for you though!  i am really impressed that you are prioritizing and not trying to do all be all etc.....its hard to do for any type A++ personality, what?!  Who?!  You?!   :crackup: But last summer was scary and you don't need that again, not when so many artistic endeavors are coming to fruition.

Congrats, honey, you are a "wise ol' owl' as helen would say!

gollyslobberhugsandkisses

d

I always wondered if we had dark skin if they would use white "thread" to stitch us up.  From a nursing point of view, your hand looks really really good- and the stitches look like they will be a breeze to remove....nothing worse than not being able to see the darn things and get them all out!  Good job keeping it clean and avoiding infection!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

OUCH !!!!!!! Dear GOD heal her quickly !!!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

OMG Shelli!!  I almost fainted when I saw your photo... and had to read the story of what happened very quickly.  (yes, I'm terrible with those types of things)  Hope you heal quickly!!!  Hubby just sliced open  his thumb (by being stupid with a box cutter) a couple of days ago and it was all I could do to help him bandage up... and not pass out!  He didn't need stitches however!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Wusthof knifes!!! Do you know how expensive they are? I just got two small knives delivered to me from Germany and they were over $100! Be more careful in the future  :crackup:  :crackup:

OK...I did I silly with Henkel butcher knife 32 years ago. Knew it was sharpe and so was very careful while cutting the food and then cleaned it off by wiping it thru a cloth. (Note: make sure the sharp side of the knife is not facing your fingers while doing this) Ended up in the emergency room for stitches in my fingers - which wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been 9-1/2 months pregnant and this hospital didn't have a delivery room and if I hadn't of gone into shock! Anyway, it all worked out and I eventually ended up with a lovely daughter and the use of my fingers and on the plus side - didn't damage the knife!

Marion

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Oooohhh, that hurts. And you drove yourself to the ER! Very brave. Take care of yourself and no more improvs from scary movies.

Board footer