Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell - They seem to be changing plans with the editions they're making. Materials were an issue and now demand is also. I've just about sold out of the Mimzy's I have on order and I know of other shops who have sold out completely! And the movie hasn't been officially released yet! The addition of the chenille will help meet demand. They had not stated until this week that the other Mimzy would be mohair nor had they released the quantity in each addition. They'll only be making 500 of each.

Laura - just for the record, I know you know this but before I have anyone thinking I was nuts for GIVING Tonner the pattern I just want to clarify that I was contacted by New Line Cinema to give it to them along with a prototype for which I was paid. As New Line Cinema holds the copyright I had no choice.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Whoops!  Sorry about that Daphne!  I guess my wording was misleading   :doh:    I should have said something like New Line had you turn the pattern over to him... as New Line did pay for it.   :redface:   I was just so annoyed I typed before thinking!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Its OK Laura... I know you know the story! And I understand about being annoyed! bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Daphne,
     I think the least they could do is give you a complimentary set, maybe signed by the actors in the movie.   It's too bad that when these opportunities present themselves, we never think of things like that.  I think I'd ask for a complimentary set - no harm in trying. 

hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

They are indeed sending me a complimentary set.... the movie company has promised and I have it in writing!  bear_tongue

Tonner will indeed give me credit for the design if you contact them asking who the artist is... they just aren't going to publicize it.

I've been told by the VP of Tonner that the event/signing coming up was actually arranged by FAO Schwartz and New Line. Tonner is simply supplying the Mimzies and had nothing to do with the planning. I've been encouraged to attend by the VP.... that Robert Tonner would enjoy meeting me.

Perhaps I should take up a "Fly Daphne to New York City" fund! HA! $300 round trip isn't a TON of money but with Hub out of work I just can't justify it........ I don't think...... I really shouldn't go....... as much as I want to......... meeting 'Emma' and Timothy Hutton.... even Robert Tonner!..... but the money...... and FAO Schwartz is an enormous toy store........ I'd easily spend too much on toys........ Bummer! Stinks being a responsible adult. bear_angry

PaintsNMinis Sidhe Bears
Vienna, NJ
Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for adding to it!!!! bear_grin

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Daphne , I am slow on the uptake, when I saw you were excited about Mimzy I thought you were just a big fan of the movie, Oh my goodness you created the bunny in the movie,
You Go Girl!!!!!!!!!!
that is so exciting!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited to take my son to the movie, if I buy a Mimzy will you sign it for me?

Karen I just found out you made Pterrie from the Pee Wee Herman show, my oldest son who was born in 1986 LOVED that show and so did I , it was one of the most clever shows on TV and as a person with an art background the puppets and set were so cool.  It was eye candy. 

I am kind of star struck now ladies!!!!!!!!!!!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_flower Jodi, thanks!
That brings back some of the few good memories I have of working with companies. Paul Rubens was so great to artists. He really let us use our creative skills and wasn't afraid of the unusual  bear_tongue  The hardest thing about Pterri was creating the mechanism to make the wings flap?! Dummy me, I kept all the design sketches and patterns but I never kept a prototype.
Karen

Karen It's funny when my oldest was 3 we had a Pee Wee birthday party for him, and guess who was on the cake with Globey, conky  yep it was Pterrie, It is truely a small world. That party was so much fun, I had made out of cardboard lifesize cutouts of all the characters from the show and we even had a Jambi cut out where everyone could put there face thru and look like Jambi. And yes there was a Pterrie flying around.  I thought that show was so creative and fun. I know Pee Wee is gone forever but I still miss him.

ptereie.jpg

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

That trailer is amazing, I can't wait to see it... I actually made 2 prototypes for the people at New Line as well. Bittersweet when I didn't hear back from them as I really wanted to see my work on the big screen.. but sweet because I think I would have been a basketcase with the bunny deadline and working.. lol.
Big congrats Daphne, I'm sure all the stress of making them is worth it now!! woohoo!
Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

That is really cool that you made Pterri!  I used to watch that when I was a kid.. lol. I have not
thought about that show in years.. I went and looked up the intro at youtube.. lol. Man that was a
goofy show! heehee.

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

KJ Lyons wrote:

bear_flower Jodi, thanks!
That brings back some of the few good memories I have of working with companies. Paul Rubens was so great to artists. He really let us use our creative skills and wasn't afraid of the unusual  bear_tongue  The hardest thing about Pterri was creating the mechanism to make the wings flap?! Dummy me, I kept all the design sketches and patterns but I never kept a prototype.
Karen

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_rolleyes OK
I have to add here that I was a kid when I worked with that show  :P
Oh, I could tell such stories  bear_whistle ! It was a fun group. The set used for the stop motion photography was in NYC, the village. We used to go out to eat after working and tell stories......
Jodi,
That cake is wonderful :bday:  :clap:  What a cool mom  bear_grin  Candyland? Now that's my early childhood?! Where did you find that?

OK this is going to show my age but that little guy in my arms is now 20 years old, It was such a fun birthday, but as I said Pee Wee was a WONDERFUL show.  We bought the DVDs of the shows and my youngest who is 11 loves the show too. We still sometimes drive my husband crazy by having a secret word.  bear_grin   One time I got upset with a lady for screaming at a cashier at our local Meijer (like a walmart) ,  I told her to stop, that these cashiers didn't make enough to put up with that kind of treatment, she called me a Bit*h and I go "I know you are but what am I?" then I just walked her off.

Karen you sound like you have had such an interesting and fun life.  New York has to be my favorite place I have ever been, I can't imagine how cool it would have been to be young and living in that city.  And working on such a creative show , I bet for an artist like yourself, it was ideal.   I bet you do have a lot of stories to tell, you need to write a book and title it "My life With Pterrie"
Bear hugs
Jodi

I am so excited I ordered my Mimzy , I can't wait to see the movie.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

The best part was that my Dad has lived to see the movie.... a miracle in itself. He was in so much pain when we went to see it, he could barely sit through it but he insisted upon seeing it WITH his daughter AT the theater BEFORE everyone else! I was so worried about him I had a hard time paying attention to the movie at times! being Daddy's Girl is bittersweet sometimes! But it would have been awful w/o him!

Awwwww Daphne I am so glad for you, these are memories to have and be able to treasure forever...

My little to little ones Jay and Bethany have seen the Mimzy trailer here and are so excited about the film, science fiction is their favorite film type.

They were astounded when I told them I know the lady who made that bunny MIMZY....lol...

So your famous here too, cus they have told all their freinds about you at school.

What do you think of the chenille bunny?

I dont like the face as much on the chenille bunny.
Not quite the same as the felt original Thumbs up for the felt one  bear_thumb

Hugs
Lanie X

Board footer