Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

I was wondering, does anyone have any yummy GLUTEN FREE recipes to share?

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Ilze!

Most of my recipes are just regular recipes that I tweaked to fit my diet.  I'm wheat, dairy and pretty much preservative free.  But most of the products I buy are gluten free because of the wheat free part.  I always suggest for people to check out this site for pre-made items. They're the best I've tasted so far.
http://www.ener-g.com/   
I've got a few favorites...the tapioca bread is great toasted (not thick styrofoam or crumbly like many rice breads are...and the pretzels taste just like regular pretzels.)  Their packaging is specialized for extended shelf life so buying staple items is easy to do. Looks like they ship internationally too.

I'm always looking for good wheat (or gluten) free baking recipes (I can substitute any dairy items in a recipe).  Especially cake/breads..like banana bread.  Or a good homemade pizza crust recipe.

:hug:
~Chrissi

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

Thankyou so much for that website Chrissi!  Oh wow, all the food on that site looks soooo yummy!  I use Orgran products (http://www.orgran.com).  I'm not too keen on their bread mix as it comes out that strange thick styrofoam consistency.  I've added millet flakes to it before and then it tends to turn out better, but still not too crazy about it.   Their pizza dough is nice, but it taste like scones, so I make scones with it <giggle>.  The pasta flour mix is also nice as you can put it through a pasta machine, but I also tend to use it for pizza crust.  I'll let you know if I find a good homemade pizza crust recipe.

(PS: I'm wheat/Gluten, dairy, yeast, soy, nut, fish/seafood and preservative free)

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Ilze,

My housemate is completely gluten free due to Celiac disease.  We have many recipes and one very good bread recipe.  Are you looking for something specific or just some general recipes?  I purchased Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet and More from the Gluten Free Gourmet cookbooks.  Many of the recipes are wonderful and you can easily adapt them to exclude items such as dairy, eggs, etc.  Often times she gives substitutes within her recipes.   

I'd be happy to email you the bread recipe.  We make it weekly because unfortunately they don't store well so you have to use it as you make it....but it's wonderful fresh out of the oven...YUMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Hugs,
Shantell

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Here's a good start:
http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

Celiac- Oh Yes!! Have I got a few great recipes to share!! Our youngest, 38 yo Neal was diagnosed about 10 yrs ago, right after his Fibro became full-blown. I now know why he literally chugged Pepto Bismol almost daily while he was growing up. We sure didn't know about gluten in the 70s!  He probably thought everyone felt like he did after eaing. Poor guy.

I'll willingly copy off recipes for pizza crust, rice pudding, pie crust - to die for; our whole family prefers this pie crust and with no gluten, it's impossible for it to turn out tough. I add an Alton Brown/Food Network trick for rolling out. (It's the sweet/sticky/sushi rice flour that makes the difference in taking away the grittiness of white rice flour recipes.) loads of other goodies!

Just email me offlist your mailing address:
rkr4cds@comcast.net

suburban Chicago

Pizza Party - I think I posted this early in Feb in another thread - Neal's youngest is kneading the dough for Dad's pizza.

Later, Dad & the boys all put their own toppings on.AidanKneads.jpg

EverybodysChoice.jpg

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

It would be absolutely wonderful if you would be able to email me those recipes (or post it here).  bear_thumb
I was diagnosed 5 years ago, but we think my daughter has the same problem so I'm always on the lookout for great recipes, especially to make it more tasteful for the kiddiewinks. bear_original

suburban Chicago

I'd rather run them through my copier and mail them idf that's OK. My typing finger can't take the extra strain...

Email me your mailing addresses, as I'll be copying off at least a dozen recipes. Anywhere with a large Asian population should have all of these ingredients.

rkr4cds@comcast.net

Willamette Valley Oregon

Well poo....I was sure I had seen the recipe on one of the online forums but for the life of me I can't find it now.  I can find a variation of it but that just won't do.   bear_grin

I'll type it up tomorrow and email it to you both.   bear_flower

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks for all the links everyone, I am currently struggling with trying to find foods I can eat, I am currently not allowed to eat eggs, wheat, rye, oats, millk products....  these allergies have been discovered after I had already excluded all fructose products for 8 months...  I am losing so much weight, right down to 42 kg  bear_sad   I have been able to find some organ products in a health food store and tried the egg replacement (strange powder that isn't exactly like eggs!!)  I have tried to make some shortbread cookies with a wheat and gluten free flour but they don't taste too great.  SO if anyone could email me any recipes for anything I could try I would SO appreciate it - THANK YOU

:hug:
Catherine
x

Willamette Valley Oregon

Here you go...I've also saved this in a MS Word document and am happy to email it directly to anyone who would like it.  Just send me your email address.  Bobbie I've already emailed it to you. 

I've tried MANY GF bread recipes and this one is by far the best I've come across.  I keep looking though.   bear_grin

Enjoy.

Butter Basted White Bread
Taken from Bette Hagman, More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet

2 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2/3 cup dry milk powder (or 1/2 cup nondairy substitute)
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp egg replacer (optional)
3 Tbs sugar, divided
2/3 cup lukewarm water
1-1/2 Tbs dry yeast granules
4 Tbs butter melted
1 additional cup lukewarm water
1 tsp apple cider vinegar or dough enhancer
3 eggs**, room temperature (I just put them in warm water until ready to use)

Combine flours, xantham gum, milk powder, salt, egg replacer (if used) and all but 2 tsp of the sugar in bowl of heavy duty mixer.  Use your strongest beater, not the bread hook.

Dissolve the remaining sugar in the 2/3 cup of water, and mix in the yeast.  Set aside.

In another bowl, combine the melted butter with the cup of water and add the cider vinegar.

Turn mixer on low.  Blend dry ingredients and slowly add the butter-water mixture.  Then add eggs one at a time.  This mixture should feel slightly warm.

Pour the yeast mixture in the bowl and beat at the highest speed for 2 minutes.  Place the mixing bowl in a warm spot, cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let dough rise for approximately 1 hour or until doubled.

Return dough to the mixer and beat on high for 3 minutes (dough will look more like thick cake batter or cookie dough then bread dough so don't be alarmed).  Spoon into 1 large loaf pan filling 2/3 full.  You may bake the remainder of dough into muffin tins or make all into rolls. 

Let the dough rise again (covered)  until slightly above the top of the pan, 45 - 60 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.   Here's the tricky part…the recipe says to bake for 60 minutes…but I only bake it for 45 minutes…60 minutes is WAY to long in my oven.  I bake the muffins for 22 minutes.  I also cover the bread/muffins after about 10 minutes with foil to prevent them from getting too brown on top.   

To test if done…tap gently with your fingers.  The bread will have a slightly hollow sound.  Remove from pan immediately to cool.  I lay it on its side and it keep the top from settling too much in the middle.

**can be replaced with whatever egg replacement you would normally use in baking.  I have not done that but according to the cookbook...you can.

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

Thank you so much for that bread recipe.  I'm definitely going to try making it today using my bread machine.  (it doesn't sound like any of the bread recipes I have, most of the ones I have uses buckwheat, brown rice flour and arrow root).

Anywhoos, here is a nice "ice-cream" recipe for those of you who are lactose/dairy intolerant (I have more ice-cream recipes, but this is one I've actually tried and it is really yummy. )

Berry Ice-cream (

serves 4-5)
(free of dairy products, wheat, yeast, sugar, eggs, soy and nightshades)

2 punnets strawberries OR 500g of frozen berries
2 bananas
1 avocado
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons tahini (the tahini gives the ice-cream a creamy texture).

Blend all ingredients at high speed.  Pour into container and freeze.

(I found that it freezes a bit hard, so you could perhaps freeze it in serving size plastic containers, or leave it out for a while to soften before serving).

suburban Chicago

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

O M G!!! I'm in Love!! And likely to add a few lbs!!

I have almost the same recipe that Shantell typed out. At 5:30 tonight I got out the GF ingredients - to find that I had only 1 & 1/4 cup of White Rice Flour. I was already going to change out 1/2 cup of the white fro SWeet Rice flour, as the 'mouth feel' is better. So I just topped it up to 2 cups with 1/4 cup brown rice flour. Everything else was the same, a bit of slight variation from Shantell's but not enough to be earth-shaking.

After beating the batter - yes it's like a cake batter consistency - I filled one of the sinks with hot water to the bottom of the dish drainer. Set the bowl in, saraned it and a towel over the whole sink to retain the heat. I was typing away (here on TT - where else!!??) and it raised a 'bit' too long. Beat it 3 more mins and plopped it into 4 mini bread pans. Back into the dish drainer with new hot water and the towel to cover. I didn't use saran the second time, knnowing that if it sticks to it it would collapse.

Well, I shouldn't have worried about the saran - I managed to collapse 3 of them! As there was no bowl to hold up the towel, I weighed the back corners of the towel with a heavy saute pan and some of those little crocks.

Typing away in here again and they probably went about 15 mins past Ideal.... I whipped the towel off and the saute pan flew right into the sink on top of 3 of the 4.....

Popped them into the oven and baked about half an hour. THEY SMELLED SO GOOD!! For a few minute in the mixing/raising they did have a bit of old sock fragrance, but the yeast-baking hits after that. They were out of the oven in just less than 3 hours start to finish.

As we used to make 8 loaves a week when our 3 were at home, I know the texture of real bread. The holes in these are a bit large because I had only half an eye on the clock and the gas bubbles grew a little larger than they should've.

Neal's family lives about 7 mins away and I drove 3 of them over immediately. His Fibro Fog had him already asleep in his chair but he did smell the warm yeast bread under his nose and grinned "Sandwiches in my Lunch tomorrow....." and back to sleep.

When I returned, DH had already sliced up the one I'd left here. I took one slice and froze the rest. That will be the true test, because all of the GF breads we've bought are grainy and druy after freezing.

I just can't get over the flavor & moistness of this one. Like a sourdough texture w/o the sour.

T Y, SHANTELL!!!

suburban Chicago

Alison's Bread -

Take 3 eggs out of frig earlier or set into warm water.

1 & 1/4 Cup White Rice Flour
1/4 c Brown Rice Flour
1/2 c Sweet Rice Flour
1/2 c Potato Starch Flour
1/2 c Tapioca Flour
1/4 c sugar
3 & 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
2/3 dry milk powder
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
(No egg replacer)
Mix tog.

2 tsp sugar
1 & 1/2 TBL yeast granules
1/2 c warm water
MIx and set into larger bowl of warm water to retain warmth

1/4 c shortening (I used extra Lt Olive oil)
1 & 1/4 c warm water
1 tsp vinegar
Stir tog.

3 eggs

The procedure was as Shantell's. If I hadn't over-raised them at both times, the loaves would've prob have been done in about 2 hr 15 min instead of 3

suburban Chicago

Mine was printed off several years ago from a web site: Celiac.com
Credit where credit's due, as it's trademarked!
Just never made it before.

In the finished loaves, can you see the 3 that were flattened? They should've all looked like the one on the right.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

thanks for sharing your pics and recipes everyone, wow that looked like a lot of work but yummy , but at the minute I'll try anything to try and fill up and get some energy, need to go back to the dr soon too  bear_ermm

Thanks again,
Hugs
Catherine

Willamette Valley Oregon

bear_grin   bear_grin   bear_grin

Bobbie, I'm glad you like the recipe.  It's kind of funny that you already had it under another name.  Makes you wonder WHO really created it, doesn't it.  I have tried it with 1/2 brown rice flower and 1/2 white rice flower and really couldn't tell the difference.

Catherine, it really looks more difficult than it is.  The time is really in the rising of the dough and baking.  It's just one of those things you do on an afternoon or morning when you are home anyway and can be easily interrupted...work on a bear at the same time or some else crafty.   bear_thumb   bear_thumb

I ALWAYS double the recipe...that way I have two loaves!!!  I love it right out of the oven and I CAN HAVE GLUTEN!!!  :crackup:   :crackup:   

YUMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

suburban Chicago

I was afraid to cut it while still so hot, so ours had probably an hour to cool. It was still warm enough to soften the Sm Bal. Not knowing that the inside was quite substantial, not soft & crumbly (and you did say to lay the full-sized loaf on its side so it would cool like a chiffon cake - upside down) I didn't cut it. But DH had eaten about half of it when I walked in the door after delivering the 3 loaves.

Anxiously waiting to see how DS liked it today!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Like the way I spelled "flower" (flour)....I had just been outside in the garden looking at tulips blooming...you can tell where my head was...   :crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:

What a goofball I am!!!

Let me know what your son thinks.  I'm anxious to hear...and how well it does freezing too.

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

WOW, that is BY FAR the best GF bread recipe ever and hubby agrees!!   :dance:

I tried making it in my bread machine last night - I did not use yeast (as I'm yeast intollerent) and used guar gum instead of xanthan gum - and it turned out BEAUTIFULLY and oh soooo YUMMY!!!   The bread wasn't even out of the breadmachine for a whole 3 seconds when hubby appeared next to me with the butter and apricot jam in his hands....he must have smelled the bread all the way from the bedroom.  So there we were, standing at the kitchen counter eating warm fresh bread at 11:30 PM last night!    Must stock up on some more ingredients today so that I can bake some more bread tonight.   bear_thumb

suburban Chicago

LOL - our reactions exactly!! I was curious to see how the bread machine would handle it, as the recipe says to beat with the regular blade/paddle, not the less-metal dough hook.

Xanthan Gum is also known as guar gum. Did you increase it a bit or keep it the same?

Our DIL cut into one of Neal's l;oaves before I got back home from delivering them last night - was 'caught' eating some with butter & jam with her bedtime tea when I called her about slicing the loaves before freezing. Neal says - "AWESOME - More please!!" First time he's had sandwiches for lunch for ages. I think he lives on peanuts and yogurt....

I think all 3 mini loaves are gone at their home - the 8 yo called a bit ago to ask something and relayed that they're all enjoying "Dad's" bread.

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

Ah, the bread machine did a great job.  I didn't increase anything, I just kept it the same. I first added all the dry ingredients, then the water-butter mixture and then the eggs.  Next, I set the bread machine to Basic and pressed start.  Once most of the ingredients were mixed together I added the last cup with water (usually I would use soda water as a replacement for the yeast, but I did not have soda water so I just added the warm water less the yeast).   I then just left the bread machine to do it's thing until the bread was ready.  I was very impressed with the end result!! 

From what I've learned, Guar gum is often combined with xanthan gum, locust bean gum, or carboxymethylcellulose to promote synergistic changes in viscosity or gelling behaviour, so I took it that they are not the same thing.  Also on some of the flour mixes I have they list both gums as the gelling agent. Mind you I did learn something new today and now I feel a bit stupid  bear_ermm  -   When I went to stock up on my ingredients earlier today and couldn't find the tapioca flour where they usually keep it, I asked them what happened to the tapioca flour.  They told me that arrowroot is actually tapioca flour too......hmmmmm, and here I always thought they were two different things....shows how I read the packets. bear_wacko

Board footer