Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Hello Jodi - what a lovely thought to decide to do this for such a good cause.  I will definitely be able to join in this and donate bear proceeds.  Will watch out for further information.

Warm wishes
Pauline

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Oooh, and just as an additional, passing thought, maybe there could be a few more masculine bears in there too? It always seems to be put across as a female only cancer, but really men can develop it too, and it can be harder as there's less in that area to remove from a man.  In England we have a 'Race for Life', which is for breast cancer, but no men are allowed to run it which seems stupid to me, especially considering all the men who've lost wives, sisters, mothers and ebven daughters to the disease... so maybe a manly side of the charity beardom could come in too?

Sorry for the waffling XD

Chloe.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Sound great Jodi, and October sure suits me a lot better than May! I think getting lots of publicity ahead of time will make a big difference, too.

puca bears puca bears

O.K. -everyone - I contacted Kathy Martin  (Teddy Bear Scene editor) and she will definitely publicise our efforts....
huggies
Maria

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Hi Jodi,

I will participate as well.  October is perfect for me.

Jane

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Oh Jodi, I can donate a bear too....Just tell me when and where to send it.....I love the idea of "bear hugs against breast cancer" or something along that line.....I also like "bear artist against breast cancer" too....either one is a great slogan.

I think the Susan G Komen Foundation has a great reputation and this is a national organization. Is that where the proceeds will go?

October is a great month for this. Tthis way people can get their bears done.

I am already thinking of a special design for the bear...Oh what a fun and wonderful idea you had Jodi!!

Michelle

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I am over the moon about this!!!!!!!!!
I think October will be perfect.
I am so proud to be part of the world of the teddy bear, to me the teddy bear is a symbol of love and comfort and what a wonderful way to use our teddies, as you can see on TT there are so many wonderful caring artists , collectors and magazines.  So many of us have been touched by this or  have lost loved ones and I am thrilled we can maybe use our bears to bring comfort to others. 

Hmmmmm just a thought, I am putting out there, maybe we can get a bear company to produce a Pink bear, that part of that money will go to cancer research. I would imagine this may already be happening, but what about a big fluffy pink bear called Hope and have it so someone could buy it for someone who is going thru chemo and she could hug it during the treatments, or when she isn't feeling well.  Anyone out there know of a company that might want to get involved?

Gaby I am going with :"Bear Hugs Against Breast Cancer"
Great idea to combine the 2!!!!!!

To all the new artists that feel their bears might not get very much, please don't let that stop you from doing it, this is all about giving from the heart,  it says so much about who you are as a person, to be willing to give of yourselves and that will show thru in your bears.

Need suggestions on breast cancer charities, I know some were mentioned in this thread but is there more out there?

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Please ... every one take the time to sew some stitches of love for  the "Bear Hugs Against Breast Cancer"  auction. I am sure that now the wheels are turning lots of people who know how to promote things will jump on board !!  This will be a great thing to help out those with breast cancer. I think they say one out of every 3 women will get it. Thats pretty heigh if you ask me , lets get those numbers to drop. That money may help you or me one day . All bears are wonderful and good for hugging or  to bring smiles, so lets put our thinking caps on and do a really good thing here.  YIPPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Lets GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I know quite a few people who have been touched by breast cancer so if I can at all swing it at that time I'd like to participate, too. 

Jodi, if you haven't done a charity auction before please know that on eBay at least the charity has to be registered with Mission Fish (I'm sure the Susan Komen Foundation is even without looking it up) and the seller has to do some little bit of online "paperwork" to post charity auctions, too, registering with Mission Fish as a seller.  Can't remember how it's done, exactly, but it's not difficult.  In the auction listing itself the seller will specify how much of the auction proceeds go to the charity and how much the seller will keep (for example, to cover materials or postage or whatever, so the artist gets at least a little help with the costs and isn't paying out of pocket when the auction ends for, say, a $45 international postal cost in addition to the donated bear.)

Not sure how you want to run this -- all on eBay; eBay & Bid4Bears; bid4Bears & individual artist websites; etc. -- but just wanted to point all this out.  I'm having a midlife moment and can't remember how I know this.  Oh, it was a charity where we all made bears using Nancy Tillberg's 101 BEARS TO MAKE book.  Proceeds went to childhood cancer but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the auction or how it was arranged.  GEez, I need to take some vitamins!

Anyway, just a few practical details to add to add to your list of things to work out/think thru as you develop this awesome and inspiring project.

Kudos to you for taking it on.  And thanks. bear_original

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh... I'm definitely IN for this one!

Kim Basta

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi Jodi,
I think it's a wonderful idea - count me in!   I battled breast cancer last year - April 29th will be my 1 Year Remission Anniversary and I do plan to spend the day Dancing Like Nobody is Watching!!!  If you need help organizing, let me know - I'll be happy to help out.
Hugs,
Janice Woodard
www.boohbears.com

Kim thanks so much!

Janice I knew you had , I was one of the people that made a little note, I can't for the life of me remember who organized that for you, but I thought that was the coolest idea ever. I am sooooo happy for you, and you go girl, I'll do a little dance for you too here at my house.  I would love it if you helped with this.

Chrissi Catherwood has said she would help  too.

Shelli, I did see that on ebay and I am getting the process started, Great Tips! I am thinking Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research looks like a great organization. Unless someone has a better suggestion lets go with that one. I will contact them to make sure they are OK with this idea before we make it official.

I have got a few calls in to some plush manufacturing companies, I know it would be too soon to have this bear in production but maybe the design can be announced during the kickoff. 

Hugs
Jodi

*Update..... I talked to someone at the Susan G. Komen organization and they gave me the name of the person that would give us a yes or a no, but the woman I talked to said she didn't feel there would be a problem at all, I'll keep everyone posted.

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Jodi
Why not looking at doing it world wide. I am sure that Sandra from Australian Bear creation would be interested in helping as well. I would be happy to donate a bear something very pink!!!
cheers Lisa

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

I will donate a bear too,
Louise

Lisa,Yep that is exactly what I am hoping this will be. Thanks so much

I think teddy bear artists are not only talented I think most of us have learned to run our own business and can you imagine what all we can do with those abilities for this event , I think the skys the limit.   

We are doing this for our Moms, our daughters, our sisters, our friends and ourselves.

*Louis you must have been typing when I was, I will put you down on the list

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Jodi, what a great idea for a wonderful cause! I would love to participate as well!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Count me in too Jodi. I wiull help in any way I can
Sonya

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I'll join in... just let me know when and where and I'll create a little critter bear_original

P.S. - good idea!!  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

Count me in...I think it is a wonderful idea Jodi!!!  bear_original

Mikki Mikki, Cripple Creek Creative
Bethel, Ohio

Jodi, Please count me in.....If you have the particulars ,be glad to contact Mindy at Teddy Bear and Friends ,Valerie at Bears n Buds.
                                                Just let me know,
                                                               Mikki

Mikki that is great , I'll let you know when I hear back from the Susan G Komen people.  As soon as I get the green light from them I can pin down a lot more. As it stands now, it will be during the month of November and the auctions will be held thru ebay.

I will post as the details develope.

Hugs
Jodi

I know I keep saying this, but more people keep joining in, all you guys are so GREAT!!!!!!!!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

yep...I'm in, if you'd like to have me!

I know that our own Edie Barlishen designed a bear for one of the manufacturers, but its slipped my mind...(hey Shelli...any extra of those vitamins handy?... :doh: ) anyway...it was a pink bear to support Breast Cancer research.
Edie...are you out there.....?

Cheryl bear_flower

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I'm here!  bear_grin
The bear I designed was for Franklin Mint and was called "The Heart of Hope Bear" for breast cancer research. That was several years ago - 6? 7? 8? - think I could use some of those vitamins too -  bear_grin - time flies when you're having fun (or are behind on orders!!!) It was about 11" tall and made of pink tipped mohair with its hands held together by magnets and clutching a pink and white blankie with the breast cancer logo on it.  I know Avon did a little beanie type bear for breast cancer research too. I think that would be great if we could get a manufacturer to make a bear with proceeds for breast cancer research as well as all the artist bears we do.

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website
Jodi Moisan wrote:

Hmmmmm just a thought, I am putting out there, maybe we can get a bear company to produce a Pink bear, that part of that money will go to cancer research. I would imagine this may already be happening, but what about a big fluffy pink bear called Hope and have it so someone could buy it for someone who is going thru chemo and she could hug it during the treatments, or when she isn't feeling well.  Anyone out there know of a company that might want to get involved?

That's a great idea!  I really like that.  I would love to donate a bear as well.  I'm sure I can come up with something good by then!

Board footer