Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ilze's post about her darling ducky collection got me thinking that we haven't posted about our collections in a while.  With so many new members there might be lots of eye candy to see!  Thanks to Ilze for jump-starting the idea in me.

What do YOU collect?

Show us!!

I'll start with my two biggest collections (other than pets, that is):  birdhouses and bears.  The birdhouses sit atop the furniture in my dining/entry room, and the bears are showcased in spots around my office.

I also have a small collection of my own bears and one by Sue Ann that my cat, Sealy, loves and sleeps by all day, every day... but you've seen that one already, and I can't find it to repost in this thread.

MyCollectionsForTTMED.jpg

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Waw
What a great collection of bears. bear_wub
Lovely bird houses too.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Tina, I'm glad you like my stuff; thanks so saying so!  Those collections were many years in the making and they bring me a lot of joy.

I found the picture of my own Sue Ann Holcomb PAST TIME BEAR, KAKI, that my cats -- especially Sealy, the huge, not-purebred, ragdoll-looking black and white guy covered in fluff -- really adore.  Sealy sleeps next to KAKI all day, every day... I kid you not.  That's JINX, our newest addition, standing to the right.

CatsAndKaki2.jpg

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Great collection, Shelli! 

I only collect teddy bears!  And lots of them.  I can never have enough!  I'm embarrassed to say that since we moved into our house last December, most of my collection is still boxed up and in various rooms and closets in the house.  DH is supposed to build some shelves for me this summer.  So no pictures yet.   bear_sad

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

00.jpg

Anything and everything, I am a pack rat, but I LOVE old toys and really anything that is  in those wonderful 40's &  50's colors, (like old Tom and Jerry cartoon colors).  I love the big cloth childrens books from the 40's, mice, old valentines, spools of old thread and anything that evokes a feeling of being happy.
Shelli, What a great thread!!!!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Bears... Baskets... Dishes... and more bears!
No pics to share at the moment... who wants to see DISHES any way? I have dishes with daisies on them, dishes with stripes, plaid borders, you name it. They are full 8 settings... then there's my mother-in-laws, mother's, and both sets of grandparent's complete dish sets. The kicker is.... it's just Henry and I and we rarely entertain! So WHY do I have all these dishes? :crackup:
Oh, I guess you could say I collect fabric too.... mohair and quilt fabric!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Does dust count?  bear_tongue

Kimberly W.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Daphne, I love, love, love dishes...I never thought about them being a collection; I always thought they were necessary. I also love glassware...crystal glasses, glass glasses, fancy glasses, plain glasses...

Let's see, I have my original wedding china, Christmas dishes, Franciscan Desert Rose, which I love, and my everyday Fiestaware in all colors, and lots of glasses.

I have a few bears, lots of Scottie stuff, but it's scattered around the house, yards and yards of quilting fabric, probably no more than 8 or 9 yards of mohair, beads, beads, beads, books, books, books, books, books.

All of which I consider necessities of life...

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

KimRaggedy.jpgOOOO... beautiful stuff ladies!!!!   bear_wub

Jodi, looks like your house would be FUN to visit!

I have an enormous Alice collection, which I've talked about before, but STILL don't have any decent pictures of.  Ther's just SO much!

Here's one that I DO happen to have a funny little pic of.  My entire family is collection crazy, and my parents started me out early with the collector's mindset.  Here are my first few Raggedy Anns from what has now become about a 20 piece collection.  And yes, that's me, circa 1973, becoming "one" with my collection!   bear_grin  bear_innocent

Kim Basta

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

OMG...Kim...that is the cutest picture EVER!!!   bear_wub   bear_wub

I'll be back later with a picture of two of my collectibles bear_original

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

What an adorable picture. You were a little cutie.

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

I collect manufactured bears from companies like Steiff, Deans, Grisly, Deb Canham, TY, Boyd's Bears (Plush, Mohair, Bearstones, Dollstones, Folkstones, Villages, etc); Russ; Puffy Lane; Gund; Effanbee's Artist Designed Bear Essentials Line and Ganz Cottage Collectables.  Most of the manufactured bears I collect are Canadian exclusives, or small limited editions, but I have a SEVERELY HUGE Beanie Baby collection from about 10 years ago as well.   I also collect artist bears...One of my biggest artist bear collections (12 of them) being from Cheryl Ross of Cherbears. She was the artist who inspired me to venture out into the world of teddy bear making. Sally Winey, who originally designed bears for TY Inc., is also another one of my favourite teddy artists and I have 4 of her bears from the 1990's in my collection as well.  I also currently have some GORGEOUS bears in my collection from Sue Ann Holcomb, Anja McGowan, Donna Lee Wilson, Susan Redstreake Geary, Georgia Fox Yeager, Susan Lauhon and Deborah Stewart.  My collection is still growing at an exponential rate and before I know it, I am gonna have to move just to have more room for the collection....LoL

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Jodi, I love your vintage goodies!
Chrissie -- That's what IKEA is for -- cheap, sturdy, easy to transport home, shelving.  <hint, hint to your hubby.  PS Do you have IKEA in Florida?>
Kim, that photo of you is DARLING!  What mischief I see in your eyes.
Jeremy -- Love your use of the phrase "severely huge."  You sound like... a bear collector.  What a shocker (not!)  i'd love to see your collection.
Marlys, Daphne -- Lucky girls!  Please post photos of your dishes.  I don't have any (yet -- ha!) but I love Fiesta ware, milk glass, and interesting drinking glasses (especially those that are handmade) so I'd love to see your wares, myself.  Don't be shy!

I forgot to mention (but someone else did) that I, too, collect books.  They're EVERYWHERE in my house, especially coffee table books and how-to, crafting books.  I keep every issue of TB&F, TBR, and any other teddy, dollmaking, crafting (like Cloth, Paper, Scissors and Quilting Arts) or Stampington publication (Somerset Studio, Somerset Home, Legacy, Belle Armoire, etc.) I ever buy.  There's always a reason to get a new book and I read them over and over again.  You can see just a tiny sampling in my birdhouse photo of my coffee table book collection, and there's a snippet of "Metal Discovery Workshop" and "1000 Trading Cards" showing in one of my bear photos; those are in my studio.

I also collect craft stuff... scrapbooking, rubber stamping, fabrics, especially pens and paints, etc.  I told my family that if I die unexpectedly, they should not undervalue the thousands of dollars I've spent in a lifetime on that stuff!

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Two things that I collect or in other words are things that I look for when traveling or just on to look out for are:   
                                  Little Chef figurine bears ...   hard to find  but they decorate my kitchen

Antique tea cups....  the demitasse size   with the English or French as \
                                                                 favorites...

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Active collections (things I am always looking for)
-Breyer Horses - Been collecting since I was five and I have about 150
-Hagen Renaker glass animals
-Cake plates
-Vintage toys of all kinds

Inactive collections (collections I haven't added to in many years)
-baseball cards from 50's
-stamps
-coins
-Archie and MAD magazines from early 70's
-dolls (I did add a porcelain Madame Alexander a couple years ago)
-Matchbox and Hot Wheels

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I forgot one... not sure if it's a collection or a seirious addiction issue: Greeting Cards!!  :dance: Anywhere I am, for no reason at all, if I see a cute, pretty, fun, unique or interesting greeting card I buy it. I have some from London, Ireland and of course ones I've found locally. They can be blank or for a special occassion. Yes, in particular are ones with teddy bears on them or any cute animal! bear_rolleyes

The kicker here: I STILL have them all... I love them so much I rarely part with them. So they sit in a box. When I have a card giving occassion come along I go through that box, find a couple that would be perfect but decided that no matter how much I care for the person, I can't part with the card so I go buy another one!  :doh: :dance:
I think this is a mental issue I should get help for!  bear_wacko

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You're funny Daph!

So am I weird? I dont collect anything. Well, I guess I collect my own bears because I just can't seem to part with them but that's it!

Unless my mohair stash counts................. bear_wacko  bear_whistle

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I collect "floaty" or "slidy" pens.  You know the ones that have water and something that slides back and forth in the water?  They have them in most tourist shops.  I started collecting them years ago and I have about a gazillion of them.  They're great to collect when you're traveling because they're only 3 or 4 bucks and they fit in your purse.  Friends buy them for me when they travel so I have them from all over the world.

Of couse I have the ginormous bear collection too.  I'll take some pics and post them later.

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

i collect indie crafter handmade stuffed animals:

92859793_ab4b1d68df_o.png

and this is picture from over a year ago...it has grown quite a bit since then...

other than that...active collections:
50's glasses
rhode island ephemera
california ephemera

inactive collections:
sanrio quilting fabric
faux fur
japanese stationery

i am sure there is tons more...

and daphne! my friend collects dishware sets! she has like 7 different sets, all 50's-60's taylor smith taylor...i think collecting dishes is useful and fun!  bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

DSC00895.JPGDSC00894.JPGDSC00893.JPGI collect supplies, but I think i am prepared for everything and anything now....i also collect kewpie piano babies.....and they sit on my piano and complain about the wrong notes, they have alot to complain about....then for Christmas time i collect angels, porcelain for everywhere, drives the hubs nuts, and everything else for the tree.....

I also collect vintage lace-----I love e-bay!

dilu

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Wow...wonderful collections everyone...but

BearBottoms wrote:

Does dust count?  bear_tongue

Kimberly W.

In NM that a given...so you aren't alone!!! Wanna trade some Kimberly?:crackup:

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

Apart from Artist and vintage bears I also collect vintage brass bells, wooden chest like boxes in all sizes as well as Luxury Ducks by Design Room.  They are rubber duckies, but they each have a special name and phrase that comes on a swing tag around their necks.  They also have a specially designed box....so you have to keep the box as well.  I'll take some more pics later.....but here are my duckies....the whole 38 of them!!

DUCKIES38.jpg

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I Love all the ducks, that picture is great!!!!
Patty I have about ten of those floater pens too, I try to buy one when I go someplace special. Hmmm only 10, I sure don't go to very many special places bear_sad  bear_angry  :crackup:
I LOVED Archie comics, I grew up in the 70's and I had a stack almost as tall as I was,  I liked Betty best and hated how Archie treated her.
I love reading about all the collections, this is such a cool thread!!!

puddinjack Bay Street Bears
Bristol, Tennessee

[/img]

I love YODA!!! Here are a few:yoda_014.JPG
yoda_001.JPG   yoda_002.JPG
yoda_003.JPG   yoda_004.JPG
yoda_006.JPG   yoda_005.JPG
yoda_007.JPG   yoda_008.JPG
yoda_011.JPG   yoda_012.JPG

I think it is kinda becoming an obsession..... bear_grin Wendy

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

COOL Thread!!  Jodi, love your vintage stuff!!  They'd send out missing person reports if we went antiquing together!! :crackup:

Collections...years ago I collected kitchenware...the old red handled gadgets from the 40's and 50's, enamel pots, tin signs, campy serving trays from the 50's collection10.jpg, etc.   

Now I've been really good about making sure my "collections" are mostly functional...little do dad's were taking over my house bear_laugh

OF COURSE I have my artist bears!  I'm a new collector, so my group is small, but they are a spectacular small bunch and I adore them each so much!!
collection1.jpg

I have 7 pieces of Hoosier/enamel top furniture from around the 30's and 40's.  I found some on antique hunts and some on ebay..way before they were the ebay hot ticket and super pricey out there.  I love their functionality and their decorative appeal!  I have 2 large Hoosier Cabinets, a kitchen table, my studio work table, 2 "night tables" and one piece that was from my great grandmothers kitchen (my favorite piece). This is my great grandmother's piece here
collection9.jpg

I started collecting vintage children's quilts years ago...now they're almost all out of my price range too.  If I'm lucky I might find one here and there...I hate it when folks catch onto your collection and make it harder for you to collect bear_tongue  bear_grin (kidding).  These are the few I could get a shot of tonight.....I have more!
I love their innocence, the amazing hand work that went into each one, and the stories they probably hold.  At first it made me sad to think of the family that let them go...all of that work and the memories....but I appreciate them so much that those feelings quickly faded.  These quilts are hanging in various rooms throughout our home.
collection4.jpg
collection5.jpg
collection6.jpg
collection7.jpg

This here is my very first collection EVER. I can remember opening up the little circular tin and treasuring each little button as if it were pure gold.  I would line them up and just marvel at the details and colors and then tuck them away. I don't know what's up with the giant fuzzy button (????) I guess it was appealing to a little kid! bear_grin  Details, colors, fuzzy....I guess it all played into eventually becoming a bear artist bear_laugh
Collection8.jpg

:hug:
~Chrissi

Board footer