Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

I was just wondering if anyone has any bright idea's.
As i tend to make mainly large bears , i seem to have a whole load of waste mohair.It seems a shame to just throw my off cuts in to the bin.
What do you all do with your scrap mohair????

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Back years ago artist would sew those pieces together in squares and then make a bear out of the combined pieces. Or blankets for bears. You could shave them down to one length and make a blanket that would be cool or a pillow !!!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

puffpalpeonyfull.jpg
I make my new line of little critters called Q.D.Patooties.  I barely had enough mohair to finish this bunny but it worked out just right.  I like combining mohair and other fabrics and think I'm going to start doing in more often!

I can't wait to hear what everyone else does with theirs.

Hugs!

Lisa

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Make pet toys or give them to schools/play groups to use for art and creativity time.

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

they sent it all to me.. bear_tongue  bear_grin  and i thank them all soo very much....not that you could call all the beautiful mohair and other fabrics i got sent "scraps"  far from it...........patchy bears sound interesting tho.......you could make a rainbow panda  bear_grin how about little square bears...real simple with cord limbs and safty eyes(think spongebob shaped bear_thumb )...made from two squares sewn together...you could patch all the tiny pieces together then....and them could donate them to local children in need or somthing...sorry just thinking as i type. or  could just give it away to begginers...im sure if you put a post up someone would want it...better than throwing out...poor mohair bear_sad ..... bear_tongue

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

SELL IT AS A  SCRAP BAG ON EBAY, I BOUGHT ONE WHEN I FIRST STARTED AND ITS WAS A GOD SEND!!!
OR SUE ANNE'S SUGGESTION.....
ALL MY SCRAPS ARE TEENY AND SYNTHETIC SO MY KATIE TAKES THEM TO NURSERY AND A FEW DAYS LATER I GET SOME BACK STUCK TO PAPER AND PASTA THAT I GET TO DISPLAY ON MY FRIDGE!!

Donna A Brandon Bears
Fort Worth Texas

During spring I put out tiny scraps for birds. They love it for lining their nests !
I saw a squirel grab a few pieces I put out on the fence.
Donna A.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Donna, that's really a great idea and I would never have thought of that!  bear_thumb

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

fiber6a.jpgTry the online class 'Scrappy' A bear and Fibre necklace. Kathy Myers (minkbears) is the teacher and it's a gorgeous project!

http://www.kranbearys.com/EbearZ/Scrappy.htm

hugs,
nt

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Lisa, I love that little Patootie bunny - he/she is adorable.  You certainly should do more of them, they are great!!

Jane P.

Donna A Brandon Bears
Fort Worth Texas

Thought of another idea.  I make little toys for my cat out of small scraps of mohair. stuff a but of catnip along with the stuffing.
They make great stocking stuffers for Christmas. I even make a few to give away to my 'grandkitties' and friends pets.
OK.............. YES, my cats & dog have their very own Christmas stockings cross stitched by my daughter. 

And another :
I took some scraps and cut them into 4 X 4 inch squares sew them together 4 squares across & 4 down...  Make a cushion for my studio chair.
Using the chair seat as a pattern I cut out a back for the cushion out of ulpolstery fabric. Stuffed it firmly. Added  4 buttons on the seams of the
mohair so the stuffing wouldnt bunch up.... OR you can cheat. Purchase a chair cushion and use it as your base & make a cover.

Donna a.

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Chloe,
I had a bag of scraps, many pieces large enough to make some small bears, multi coloured or clown bears etc and I didn't have the heart to toss it out...so just put it on ebay with a start price of $2, I thought someone might make use of it...and I couldn't believe it went for $49....a few ladies were bidding on it and told me they just love scrap bags, could I email them if I list anymore and the winner was very happy with it..

Flirtsdad Homeless Mountain Crafts
Nevada City

We make "spare bears" out of our small pieces. No need to sew pieces together to make parts. 
Another use is to make the Teddy Bear Ears that Shelli raves about at the Nevada City Bear Show

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Some real great ideas. Depending on the scrap sizes... Use it to stuff your bears obviously along with your ordinary stuffing.

I like the idea of sewing the peices together randomly and making a patch work bear. Not in squares or anything just random... Different pile lengths, Colours and types I think would make a VERY interesting bear :)

Hugs,
Richy~

somerset

Hey thanks guys , you have all given some really great idea's.I have given so much mohair to my daughters pre school that even they are saying no more thankyou. bear_grin  bear_grin
Lisa your rabbit is just lovely and i really don't think i could make bear necklaces, beautiful but far to small for me. bear_grin  bear_grin
do you think that mohair knickers would catch on???? bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  :crackup:  :crackup:

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

nah they'd be far to itchy bear_tongue  bear_grin

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

chloe, want to sell some to me?
i have neverworked with mohair and would love to make a start sometime !
i know what you mean about the school saying thanks, now thats enough !

cat xxxx

somerset

Hi Cat,
please e mail me your home address and i will post you some, i don't want any money for it.It wont be until next week though as i have a real busy week, daughters birthday party on Saturday and a bear fair on sunday.Ahhhhh MADNESS bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Flirtsdad Homeless Mountain Crafts
Nevada City

This a group of spare bears Spare_bear_group.jpg
Bill

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Sue Ann wrote: Make pet toys

I make pet toys from scraps. I put catnip in them and sew the pieces together. The kitties love it. They don't care that it is not a perfect shape!

Board footer