Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

I thought I would post this question, because I am guessing a lot of you, most likely enjoy what I enjoy doing, and that is flea marketing, I also love going to big church/community rummage sales, goodwill stores and antique malls.

I love going out on a saturday to small little towns to comb their local antique mall or shops.  I love seeing what great things I can find, even if I don't buy anything, I always enjoy strolling down memory lane looking at all the things from my childhood .

The coolest thing I have ever found is a signed picture of Alan Rickman.

It was at a womans club book sale, they had organized a fund raiser and asked different movie stars to send signed pictures to be auctioned off and they had several that didn't get to them in time for the auction.  So they were selling them for 3 dollars a piece. Well I LOVE Alan Rickman , my favorite all time movie is Sense and Sensibility and of course I LOVE Harry Potter so I was pretty excited to find this.

Whats the coolest thing you have ever found?

Hugs
Jodi

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

a knitted bear for 30p
he was great
sadly, the moths got him and i laid him to rest, they got him bad :-(
i hope the moths havent come to this house
cat xxxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hiya Jodi. I am like you I love to stroll down memory lane and see things from the past and especially things that remind me of my much younger days. I love to by old lace and childrens clothing for my bears but sometimes I just keep them, why I don't know. I once found a Steiff bear at a rumage sale, which believe it or not cost me a whole 10 pence I couldn't believe it, I had a smile from ear to ear. One day there was an open-day at a new residential home near where I live and they had stalls selling all kinds of things I bought a beautiful Merrythought bear for 30 pence. He had been used in a BBC television show and his arms and head had been cut off.  bear_cry I bought him home and found that the original disks were still there so I only needed to open him and replace the cotter pins to put him back together. There was a printed stage direction in the bag with the bear, which said that two children were fighting over the bear and in the struggle he fell apart... poor boy!

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

Oh poor bear bear_sad , but such a happy ending bear_original
I am so not a world traveler, what is a pence? is it like our american dollar?
Hugs
Jodi

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

It is a Brit penny Jodi ........

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

i got a prada bag for 50p from a carboot sale, i used it once and forgot i had it, so last yr i put it on ebay for a start price of 1p... it sold for alot more than that!!!!!!!!!!!

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Jodi you start some great and interesting threads. 

A couple of months ago I was in a charity shop and there was a box of 20 dressmaking patterns for 5p each (the whole lot for £1.00) and they were mostly Vogue/Butterick, very up to date and all unopened.  I liked them all so bought them planning to make myself a whole new wardrobe!!!!! At the moment I just keep looking at them and imagining myself in these great outfits but there isn't enough hours in the day and I am addicted to making bears...... but soon I think I will have to make time, don't get much to fit me in the shops being so small and what I do like don't fit and what I don't like does so I don't buy much.   

Warm wishes
Pauline

Jane oh my GOSH you found a steiff for 10cents, that's amazing!!!!!!! That is a great find
A Prada bag for 50cents, thats pretty cool too
the patterns would be great to find, I have trouble finding clothes too, I have the waist of a short woman and a rear end for an extremely large hippo,  bear_shocked  :crackup: 
Hugs
Jodi

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Where I live, they have two weekends a year when everyone who wants to can have a yard sale.  One weekend for the north half and the next weekend for the south half.  (There are about 2500 homes here.)

Anyhow, I found these items for about $2 each, all brand new and perfect bear sized.

good_stuff_3_Medium_Small.jpggood_stuff_1_Medium_Small.jpggood_stuff_2_Medium_Small.jpg

The next weekend, I bought a 1958 portable Singer sewing machine, small and cute (apple green) for $10.  It works like a dream, hums right along and is perfect for sewing bears.  Yea ! ! !

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

My greatest find was when I went to an estate sale in Clearwater, Florida. I saw this purse that looked like it was from the 1920's. I collect vintage purses. The handle looked like it was sterling silver but was very tarnished. I took a chance on it and paid $10.

When I got the purse home, to my surprise it was $14 K gold (the frame of the purse and handle). The clasp was cabochon sapphires and the medallion was pave diamond (I had a jeweler confirm the sapphires and diamond). I thought it was rhinestones! The inside read Cartier and the Paris address. I almost fainted. I wonder what it is worth?

TONS!!!!!!!!! I bet,
don't you wish you could take it on the show "Antiques Roadshow"  That show is so much fun. Wouldn't you love to know the background on the purse.
Man 2 bucks each for all of those cool props, that is wonderful!!!

Board footer