Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Furs.jpgHello all!

Recently I've decided to work on a new pattern for a creature, and I wanted to use faux fur to make it look more realistic along with needle felting, which I've yet to try... I bought my fur, but it's striped in darker and lighter shades, and I'd like to be able to blend the colours in so the stripes are less obvious... can anyone suggeast a way of doing this that will work but still be relatively cheap?  I don't want to splash out on an airbrush before I've even begun to make a profit from my creatures, so I was thinking maybe a dye or fabric pens would be better?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, as always bear_original

hmduffy Posts: 27

Sorry I can't be of assistance, but the fur is lovely! bear_laugh

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Wow, that was quick!

It is nice, isn't it? I bought it from a company that makes faux fur stoles, a little nervous about using it, and i have to say wrapping it around myself has certainly warmed me to faux fur!  It has a knitted back, unfortunately, but I bought my interfacing yesterday... I'm good to go!

Oooo, any help on designing four part bodies would be great too, this guy needs a pear shaped body and I'm not sure how to go about it: tryimng a model at the minute...

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Actually, you might find that depending on the size of bear you are making that the stripes might blend on their own. If there are no broad expanses of fabric (like a 20"+ size)  the eye will be fooled - honest!
Let us know how it goes,
Cheryl bear_flower

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Here is an old thread on 4 piece bodies that you may find helpful. http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3681&p=1

As for the fur , I agree with Cheryl.  It sure is beautiful by the way.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thank you both bear_original I think this creature is going to be quite big: around 13" sitting?  I was fooled by the shot of the fabric when I bought it, as it was all crinkled up and I didn't think it'd be that obvious: maybe you're right!

Thank you for the four piece body link: I'm going to pour over it obsessively now bear_happy

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Chloe, my first bear was a stripey one , the old saying measure twice cut once, I tried positioning my stripes so thay would match but had to cut several of the same pieces out twice!! bear_rolleyes

I think that I have bought from the same lady, her pale pink and burgandy are stunning and I did notice that she had added to her silver the fact that it was striped, so I kept away due to the cursing I had with the first bear, I would love to see the finished bear bear_wub

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Oooh, thanks Sue: was it Honeysuckle furs?  I bought both piees from them.

Ok, so I'm going to let it out: I want to make a sloth XD

He's going to be quite elaborate sadly, and means me learning a lot of skills that I haven't yet mastered, like pattern design from scratch, double joints and needle felting... I hope I won't be too disappointed! Hopefully I can use the highlights strategically, but if not he might look pretty daft... do you think stripes across his sides or head to toe would be better?

Hi Chloe,

Yes

it was Mo at Honeysuckle Furs, they are just stunning fabrics, so I wiil have to duel you for them  :crackup:  :crackup:
On the pattern front I always make a paper cut out and tape together the sides to see what it would look like, then you can always take apart draw around it and then make it fatter, bigger nose etc
Stripes are difficult, if the strips head to toe and it goes wrong just say its a badger bear_thumb
Good Luck

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

lol! *prepares self for battle* En guarde!

I will definately try your paper technique bear_original Do you add seam allowances before or afterwards?

A badger-sloth: hey, we could market that one!

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

I will , on a little piece of the fur, practice altering the stripes this way. Acrylic pain, in the color of the stripe or close to it, water it down and with a dry brush ( I will have two handy, help to remove  or make more subtle  the color you are using ) ) lightly brush   the color around the the stripes to disguise them. Acrylic is very forgiving and if you do not like the look you can remove it before it dries. After getting  the effect I want I just brush the fur  and let it dry. It takes practice that it is why I am telling you not to do it directly to your projet till you know how to work it and will like the look it will get.
I know it sounds maybe confusing? Hope it help.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_flower

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks, Gladys! Thats sounds really good: I usually use oils, but I expect they'd degrade the plastic fibres, so I guess using a plastic-based paint is the next logical step!

I will definately have a go on scraps first, i couldn't bear to mess this one up XD

Thank you!

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

WOW! you got it fast! I guess we are here at the same time  bear_original Acrylic is a water base paint and it is good ans easy to use. I am glad that it help. At least is another idea to try bear_original

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

XD Yeah, I'm sat here sewing, watching a film and reading TT: life after exams is bliss!

Thank you again! I'll let you know if it works bear_original

K Pawz Guest

I sometimes use Prisma color markers with the Prisma color blender to shade and blend areas in...they are quite permanent but I do heat set them, and unless you actually use the blender pen from Prisma color you won't be able to budge it...if you can find them in your area give them a try too...the nice thing about these markers, at least here, I don't have to buy a whole package, I can get each color I use seperatley although they are a bit pricey aprox $7.00 Canadian a piece.

Hugs,
Krista

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I'm not sure if you can get prismas here, but there's copic markers on Christie Bears, and another brand on Bear Basics: maybe they'd be ok? They're about £5, or £3, I think...

K Pawz Guest

hmmm not sure, I have only used the Prisma Color because of their rich deep pigment....do you use eBay at all, as I have seen Prisma color markers there. Let me see what I can find.

Krista

Gantaeno wrote:

lol! *prepares self for battle* En guarde!

I will definately try your paper technique bear_original Do you add seam allowances before or afterwards?

A badger-sloth: hey, we could market that one!

A badgloth or slobad!!!

I have 4 pieces of fabric to make up yet (hidden in the house) so you will be ok for a bit

What seam allowance ,mine just end up a bit smaller in the end  :crackup:  :crackup:

K Pawz Guest

Here is an eBay.com link you might be able to find some for a good deal here. http://search.ebay.com/prismacolor-mark … Q20Markers

Hugs,
Krista

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I LOVE Slobad bear_happy  You head to the registration office, and I'll begin work on the worlds smallest stripes!

:crackup:

I only have those two, but they've been bagged to appear in our college production of high society so it'll be a while: hopefully long enough for me to work out how to double joint and needle felt!

I know what you mean about the seam allowance XD i just add it on afterwards...

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Thanks Krista, I didn't think of that! I'll have to check shipping bear_happy

hmduffy Posts: 27
Gantaeno wrote:

It is nice, isn't it? I bought it from a company that makes faux fur stoles, a little nervous about using it, and i have to say wrapping it around myself has certainly warmed me to faux fur!

I recently ordered some synthedic myself, and I'm SO tempted to steal it for something I can wear... like a big ol' robe. It's got stretchy knit backing too. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of them do. But it just feels so nice I'll go through the hassle of lining it.

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

You just expect it to be rubbish, don't you? And then it comes and its like...

My friend Laura was molding it into a cat shape on her lap so she could stroke it XD

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

A Sepia shade of Prismacolor marker and a Copic blender needs to be in every bear makers supplies!
I've been in teaching situations where my scrap rag has disappeared; I've wiped off the nib of the blender from any color depositing on the inside hem of my shirt and students are amazed that it dries as if nothing had been there, and none of the shirt color is changed. It's a miracle pen; with the exception of fading out Black (which just smudges to gray) it will totally remove the Prismacolor or Copic color you've laid down.
Copic doesn't have a shade like Sepia, which goes with absolutely every fabric/fiber color you put it on. And there is a Prismacolor blender but I'm partial to the Copic brand, as their markers are refillable!!

Hi, chloe, just noticed that you mentioned interfacing

I was a bit surprised, so I looked at mine and thought I would let you and everyone know my backings, as they are such fab fabrics, others may want some.

Soft pink frosted
Burgandy (note this fabric has very long nylon type strands amongst soft dense slightly shorter hair, not sure what this will come out like but it could look great as it catches the light)
Plum frost
all these have only tiny give on them, no need for lining

Ivory crushed mink has quite a bit of give, so will need backing

I did let Mo know that the backing to bear maker was important and like you I bought some interfacing just in case but I think only the crushed mink would need it :hug:

Board footer