Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hi all,

I really want to get into bear making now. I have some mohair I got for christmas but was to scared to cut into it. Now i'm going for it! I'm going to become a more or less full time bear maker! (Well, When funds allow)

I'm just hitting a few problems.... Well quite a few.

I can't find thread to match the backing of my mohair, It's sparse so I'm guessing it's even more important to match it perfect. Has anyone used clear thread on a sewing machine? I'm thinking it would be too strechy and snap or not sew very well as it doesn't have the bending abbility cotton or polyester thread does? Any ideas?

Does anyone know where I can get clear ultrasuede or simlar in beige in the UK from?

I also need 5 lock joints, but I perfere cottern pins. Why do I have my heart set on a pattern where I need 4 x 1" for the body and 1 x 3/4" for the head! Does anyone know where I can get a "split" mix of 5 or 10 joints as it feels weird buying 10 x 1" and 10 x 3/4"?

One last thing, 7mm clear glass eyes. I want to paint my own clear glass eyes. I can find 7mm black eyes but not clear.

Of course it would be best to find them all in one place or in the UK but whatever works really!

NBot getting off to a good start am I?  :crackup:

Thank you all!!!

Hugs :hug: ,

Richy~

Kilde Posts: 186

Hi  bear_original

I'm stille a newbie to bear making but I can answer a few of your questions (leaving the other questions to others who know all about bear making   bear_grin )

I have tried using clear thread on my sewing machine (not for bears though). I think you are right about it being to stretchy if its standard clear quilting thread - and it will snap! I gave up using it on my sewing machine (for quilting). I'm sure you can find good strong thread that will match the backing of your fabric as there are lots of colours to choose from.

Christie Bears in the UK has clear glass eyes:

http://www.christiebears.co.uk/acatalog … Pairs.html

You can find threads and cream/white/sand ultrasuede there as well.

There is another UK supplier here:

http://shop.bearbasics.co.uk/

Good luck with your bear making - we would love to see pics  bear_thumb  bear_flower

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

hi richy ive used the invisable thread quite succsessfully on my sewing machine to quilt with and to sew bears with...no breakage but i suppose it would depend on the tension and what not...i know nothing about my machine and everything is still on factory defults..i think bear_grin
as for the joints...there are places where you can buy them both individually and in bulk amounts...you could make up your own split pack that way or buy enough so you dont have to buy them again for a while...if you get them in various sizes.i  think bearycheap is the place ive seen them but im sure theres many more. sounds like your other questions have been answered which is good as i know nothing about clear glass eyes...sounds fun tho,  good luck and most importantly..................HAVE FUN bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Richy, just jump in and go for it.  "Doing" will be your best teacher.

You don't have to match your thread exactly as long as you have it close as you should not be able to see the stitches anyway.  I only have about five colors of thread on hand and they work for every color of mohair I use:
light brown, dark brown, ecru, black, rust, beige. 

I can tell you that I like to have several different sizes of discs on hand at all times, along with a supply of lock nuts, tap bolts, washers, and cotter pins.  Nothing is worse than really being invloved in a bear then finding out I don;t have the right size disc on hand bear_angry .

This is such a fun business to be in and I am always learning new things as I go.

Best of luck to you. bear_thumb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi has given good advice . . . you will like having a good inventory of several different sizes of disks.  You can always find upholstery thread at any fabric store, and it comes in many colors.  Have fun with it all!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Well let's see...
I go to the hardware store and get fender washers in sizes ranging from 3/4" to 2".  I use these for the joints. I also use #6 bolts, washers, and lock nuts to join my bunnies and bears.  I get most of this from the local hardware store.
I try to keep on hand the thread colors that I use the most.. Dogwood, a tan color, Black, White, Blue, Red.  Don't worry about getting an exact match it will never happen.  As long as it is close, it will be ok!
Here's a link to 7mm clear glass eyes on Intercal's web site:
http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog/eyes.html#225colored
Here's another link to a web site in the UK:
http://www.christiebears.co.uk/acatalog … Glass.html
It looks like they have a complete line of bear supplies.  They have clear glass eyes that you can buy as single pairs or 10 pair packages.

What my mom and I have found is that will colored eyes, you can get away with using bigger eyes than you normally would use.  For instance you have a 10" bear and use 8 mm black eyes, but with a colored eye you might be able to use a 10 mm or bigger eye.  Try it and see.

If you can't find clear eyes in the UK, then I would suggest that you get eyes that are colored, but are somewhat transparent and close to the color that you are wanting to paint.  You can still paint the eyes and get close to the effect that you are going for.

I favor locknuts and bolts for joints, beacuse they can be tighened in the future, if need be.
I say go for it! Have fun!
We all started somewhere.  I wish I had pictures of my earliest creations, they would make you laugh!  Experiment!
The best tip that I can offer you is this...
Use excelsior (wood wool) in the head, this will make sewing on the nose, eyes, and ears much easier!!!
It took us (mom and I) about 15 years to figure that one out.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I just saw this posted in another thread.
http://www.glasseyes.com

They have 7mm clear glass eyes.
http://www.glasseyes.com/cgi-bin/produc … code=110OE
They are listed as "L 0.90/pair."

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Thank you so much ladies!

Kilde - How did I not know about bear basics? I mean it has everything I want, at brilliant prices and bargain postage! Thank you so much!

Natasha – I didn’t use the clear thread, I think my machine would die if I used it. I’m always having to change tensions for clothes I and it’s a real pain to get the right one!

Judi – Thank you Judi, I used the thread I had, not an exact match but close.

I am going to order both sets of sizes I need. I will use them eventually. It will be a big learning curve using those nuts and bolts. Stuffing a bear with the limbs attached seems scary to me!

Sue-Ann – Thanks, I will have to go shopping for some strong threads for the seams… Oh joy! Haha

Jare – Thank you for the information! I have been in hardware stores here, they have no idea what lock nuts are! I mean how can they not know!?

I found clear eyes in the Bear basics website, in the right size too :)

Thanks for the tip on wood wool for the head. I will have to try that for sure.

I have to say, I am amazed at how easy mohair is to sew on a machine! It is a real treat for me and my machine. I’ve used craft fur before to make a project and my first bear and my machine hated it!

Thank you all so much again for your advice. I will be posting pics as soon as I’m done. Don’t expect that any time soon as I have to wait till next Friday to order my joints, eyes, wood wool and ultra suede!!!

A very excited,
Richy~

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Richy, I second what many have said.  I use upholstery thread and have just a small handful of colors -- white, black, dark brown, light brown, and cream -- on hand.  It works for ALL my bears and it very strong.  In fact it's so strong it will slice a ditch thru your finger before it will snap!

I order hardboard disks and clear eyes from Intercal and use bolts and locknuts from the hardware store.  In a pinch I've also been known to use fender washers as Jared brilliantly suggested -- thanks, Jared!

If your hardware folks don't know what a locknut is, maybe that's because they call it something else over there.  Here's a photo.  It's basically a nut which is lined with nylon.  When tightened, the nylon inner ring keeps the washer from coming "unscrewed" over time, thus "locking" it into place for eternity.  Or, at least, that's the idea... and the origin of the name "locknut", I'm sure.

jam_locknut.gif

Have fun!

Board footer