Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

Is it just me or does anyone else admit to having an addictive personality.I have to stop smoking for health reasons and i am finding that even the thought of it fills me with dread.I know that I can and I know that it will be hard , but i must do it. (would just like to add that i do not smoke in the house or near my bears and wash my hands before I start to make my bears) But smoking aside,
I find that i am the same with bear making.If I miss one day when I haven't so much as lifted a needle i find myself having withdraw symptoms.I start to get restless and itching to get on with my bears.I wish that I could sometimes just have a rest and do something else, just for a day, but I find that If I am not making bears I am thinking about new designs or new things to try.Some times i drive myself mad. bear_wacko  bear_wacko
Is it just me or does anyone else get like this? Someone please tell me i am not alone here!!! :crackup:  :crackup:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I've just PM'd you.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Chloe, i am the same, the doctor suggested a craft hobby for stress but i sometimes wonder if it was a good idea as the other sunday in sainsburys i was crying while walking round, hubby asked what on earth was the matter and i replied "i just have so many ideas for bears, i have not enough time to do them all and everything (normal work, housework, shopping etc) is getting in the way and now i have a headache", need i say he just looked at me and called me a silly cow and to chill out. do you get irritated when you can't get on and some thing comes up to stop the bear making because i do, i keep telling myself that if that is how all bear makers feel then hopefully one day bears will be admired and be as good as everyone elses :hug:
ps:my daughter thinks your bears are groovy and fab, your last one with skulls rocks, told her sh will have to save pocket money!! :crackup:

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

Thank you everyone for your PM's and e mails.
Sue ,I think you have just hit my problem right on the head, I think that it's time that I lack, I just don't get enough time. What with my daughter and trying to keep house and all of the other boring every day jobs that have to be done.I feel that my time could be better spent making bears than making beds!! bear_grin
Thanks again,

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Chloe, I so understand what you are saying.  I have so much I want to achieve with bears, and it is so hard to think that at the time I have to spend making them is limited by things that I consider so boring, cleaning, cooking, school runs, shopping etc.  I get quite uptight as I like to spend any spare time I get bearmaking, and this applies even when I am tired.  If I collapse into a lounge chair at night in front of the television, I can't just sit there and watch tele, I have to be stitching a bear, even if my eyes are dropping out.  My husband says just put it down and rest, but I feel that if I haven't at least done some stitching each day - I am not keeping up with what I want to do.  I think it is part of the bear addiction, but I love making them so much that I think you push yourself just a little too much sometimes.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I work on my bears every day Chloe and sometimes I drive myself mad with all these ideas in my head and I have to try and switch myself off or I feel like my head will explode bear_wacko Sometimes I can think about all six or seven bears I am working on and other times I can only just think of the one to stop myself going mad.Housework definately gets in the way but has to be done but I still find myself thinking about bears and when you find yourself putting milk in the cupboard or throwing something in the bin what shouldn't be in there you realise you need to be focusing on the job you are supposed to be doing bear_grin I don't think you are alone in this-how many people do their job 7 days a week and still complain theres not enough hours in the day to work bear_rolleyes
Laurie :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

yes, time is the problem....I don't think its so much addictive as we want to do so much with our lives, learn and create...not sit still...a lot of people can be happy with just working or taking care of kids, but we want to do everything and see delight and possibility in so much.  I hear ya girl....so much to do, so little time!!!  I think if I lived a thousand years I would still never be bored  bear_tongue  But I get the itch feeling with bears and my computer time.  I neeeed it!

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

good luck with the not smoking... there are new tablets that are meant to be great, i know a few people that tried them and they all swear by it... i smoked before i had the kids, when i had my 1st i gave up and breast fed for 9.5 months, and when no one was about id nip outside for a crafty one, then got pregnant and did the breast feeding thing again so had to give up again..... was by far the hardest thing iv ever done.. i still have the occasional crafty one now and then, but its always in secret and never in the house!
but you speak my mind... if i spend a whole day not bear making then i lye awake at night thinking about what i can do next and can i get my bear stuffed tomorrow.... stupid stuff but its always there in the back of my mind.... in some ways i think iv replaced nicotine with bear making.
thank god i dont drink very often and dont get me started on cola and choc!!
anyway... my dirty secrets!!!.... good luck with the not smoking, and curse the fact that it isnt good for us!!!!

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi everyone again, I so agree with you all, reading the post made me feel that I was not alone or insane, I hope you don't feel alone still Chloe, the times just lately I have said how tired I am and hubby says put that bl@@dy bear down then, I have vowed to only make 1 bear at a time otherwise I know like Laurie that I would have loads unmade (don't know how long I will be able to keep that resolution).
I have decided that I will have to allot time to all my activities (I am also doing an interior design course!!!!)
I think that alot of the time bear making is seen as a hobby and really it is a business -please don't shoot me-but we all do accounts (if we sell our creations), we market our bears, design website, bear designers, we retail our bears, we are buyers, some of us are teachers (advise giving on this site), we are dispatchers, customer services and all this and we make them as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All this and we have jobs, are mothers, wives, skivvies, forward planners, chauffers, cooks etc etc etc
God its no wonder time is short, but after all that we are the people who get things done, we are the ones people turn to when in trouble, we are what makes this world go round (rambling)
And I don't know about you but I want to live forever, see evrything and do almost everything (well legal stuff anyway and as long as speed is not involved :crackup: )

I will shut up now :hug:

chainofdaisies Palmerston North, NZ

hmm i think i'm addicted to this site, keep having to check on it everyday...more than once, even when i have other things to do... bear_tongue

sarahjane Brisbane

Ahhh Chloe you are definitely not alone!!!  Trouble is I can't seem to form the same addiction to housework!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin

Board footer