Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

BlueBearyTed BlueBearyTeds
Skelleftea SWEDEN

Hi!
i am new here have mostly made crochet teddies.
But have made some sewed once now.
My question is  do you sew by hand or machine... maby a silly question but I am curious.
melanie

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Mohair killed my sewing machine!

Lol, it was only a mini one admittedly... I think most hand sew, or machine straighter parts like arms and body peces, and handsew the head and foot pads bear_original

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Hi Melanie, and welcome ! ! !   I used to sew all of my bears by hand until I developed "trigger finger" from so much hand sewing and had to have surgery on my hand.  Now I sew them on my sewing machine.  Take care of your hands ! ! !   I can't imagine not being able to make bears.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Melanie I hand sew but I am quiet new, I dare not try a machine as I can only sew big pieces in straight lines :dance:

Patty, If you don't mind me asking what happened to your hand, I have read a few comments about hand problems and how do I take care of them :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I machine sew,

I find it just as good as hand sewing and I don't see the reason why I would spend hours hand sewing or minutes machine sewing. It does take some time to get used to, but the time savings is really worth it.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Machine sew . . . except for footpads and the gusset on small bears.  Small for me is 6 - 8 inches.

sarahjane Brisbane

I hand sew all my bears up to about 11 inches....I don't make anything bigger so far.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

If I can't do it on my machine I don't do it...why have a dog and bark yourself..LOL!!!I don't much care for hand sewing so the less of it the better...I do the lot on the machine...footpads...pawpads everything. I sew an entire bear in about 1 hour...that gets that out of the way so I can get on with the nice bits!!

Kilde Posts: 186

Welcome to TT  bear_flower

I machine sew as much as possible - on larger bears, I machine sew the foot pads, head etc. but on smaller bears I sometimes sew the most tricky parts by hand. I have a wonderful sewing machine and it works like a dream...so why waste time hand stitching when I can use the machine and it looks so much nicer. My hand stitching is not pretty! My 9 year old daughter's hand stitching looks much better than mine  bear_tongue  bear_grin

I have been wondering about the machine/hand sewing too.....When I was at my first bear workshop (here in DK) most of the experienced bear makers told me, that you NEVER machine stitch a bear! Apparantly, they considered machine stitching "cheating"....I found that odd! Why make things more complicated and time consuming.

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I mostly hand sew bear_whistle it takes forever though! Sometimes I machine sew but it's like I lose control and go so fast around the corners I completely sew off of the whole leg or arm :crackup:

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I do both. I use a machine for most of the big pieces, but hand sew my open-mouths and any small bears or parts, like Sue Ann said.

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Must be great to machine sew them... an hour....ooooooohl....how I wish!  I hand sew all of mine so far....and even minis take many hours then.  I am going to try some bits on a machine soon.  Think I need some tips on how you use the mohair effectively though...it can't be like dolls and just fold it over...what a waste of mohair that would be!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I hand sew because I dont have the confidence to do a good job on the machine.
It doesnt matter whether it is hand sewn or machine. It comes down to who is doing the sewing and how competent are they at the sewing.
I have problems with my hands and have to rest them, at times for weeks. Apart from that I enjoy the slow prcess of the creating. I am in no hurrry.  Taking my time is the only way for me to protect my hands.
Yet having said all this...I would dearly love to make them on the machine.heheheheheh

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I know there are purists out there who believe that there is some kind of superiority in hand sewing...just like there are cooks that believe that a balloon whisk and a sore arm makes a better meringue than one made by an electric food mixer. I'd be hard pushed to tell.
I think that whatever way you choose is best because it really doesn't matter how you get to the end result. The way  I think of it is the quicker I get that bit done the more time I spend on the finishing of my bears...and that's the bit I enjoy best and in the end it's the joy I get from that that gets me the results I aim at.

I do sometimes think though that sitting on the sofa quietly sewing while half watching the TV has a more relaxing appeal than sitting hunched over a noisy sewing machine!!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I hand sew the mini's, I don't think there are many who use a machine for those.....although I've seen some who do machine sew wee little mini bears and I'm amazed. 

BUT I machine sew all others that I can because I adore my machine.  I use a Singer Featherweight from the 1950's.  It's so pleasant to use that I LOOK for things to sew.  bear_laugh  Double sewing all seams is a joy!!
I could never have sewn 6 inch bears on my former machine. It would have eaten the fabric up, and this was a "very good" machine. I was so amazed when I tried on the Featherwight.  The control and perfect stitch is like nothing I've seen from the newer machines. I love my machine and I tell it that all the time  bear_laugh  bear_wub 

:hug:
~Chrissi

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

I machine sew EVERYTHING!!!  I am WAY too young to develop bad hands...Although I do have wrist problems already and I am only 25....

Jer

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

i am about half and half
althou some of my ooak's have been completely handsewn,
quietly and with the kids - yes those twins - or in front of the tv
cat xxx

BlueBearyTed BlueBearyTeds
Skelleftea SWEDEN

Hi! And thanks all for your answeres!
The first bear I made I did use my old singer a machine from the 50-this!
I have some problems with my hands to since I have made softsculpted dolls.. the bigger I use machine for and smaller my hands.
So I guess I do the same with the teddies!
I love this site and have been looking on all your wonderful  teddies!
I did forgot to ask ...Faux fur is it a better quality acrylic fur or an ordinary acrylic?
And if you use "fake" fur wich do you use... the one thats stiff  (does not stretch)  knitted  or wowen?
Have a nice week end all!
Melanie

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

I oversew the pieces together by hand, then machine sew twice for durability. We made costume for re-enactors for many years and always tried to make things using authentic materials and techniques - so I enjoy making mine as close to the earlier bears as poss, in terms of materials and techniques - it's just my little way!  Also my machine sewing is stronger than my handsewing!  As we made costume for years we have about half a dozen sewing machines - most of them Edwardian (they're real workhorses). But I do most of the bears on my mum's old Brother machine which is the only electric one we have - she bought it in 1971, when machines were still solid metal! It seems to cope with anything. I've heard that the most mdoern machines are not great for bear making as they can sense the thickness of fabric, and 'read' mohair as much fatter than it is, so stitch too loose. I dunno if that's true?

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I only hand-sew but only because I enjoy it. I do have a good machine and well-stocked sewing room but I like to sit in front of the tv in the evening and sew.

Marion

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

There is no right or wrong answer for Handstitching or Machine Sewing  bear_flower

Myself, I handstitch everything, but that's because my sewing machine's possessed  :twisted:   :crackup:  We have differing opinions of what a bear's supposed to look like! 

I also enjoy being able to 1. take my work with me wherever 2. sit and sew quietly in the same room with hubby.   bear_wub   Granted, that makes my sewing time a LOT longer, and so I'm incredibly slow at bear making.

As for the hand troubles:  STRETCHES Ladies!!!  Ever so often, take a quick break, and bend your fingers backwards towards the back of your hand, and hold the stretch for three deep breaths in and out.   Then bend your fingers forwards towards your inner wrist and again hold and breathe.  You need to be sure that you only take the stretch to where you first feel the pull, and then hold it there.  Sometimes with the breathing, you'll be able to stretch further, but it should not hurt.  What you are doing is stretching the tendons and muscles in your hands, wrists, and forearms.  This will help to keep the muscles from spasming, increases bloodflow to the area, which in turn helps to remove toxins and reminds the muscles of where 'normal' positioning is.  If the muscle is held in a cramped or spasmed position for too long, the muscle begins to think this new, cramped position is 'normal'.  Leads to tendon strain in the wrist, elbow, and up around the shoulder, eventually into the neck and base of the skull...causing headaches ultimately. 

A bit of massaging around the elbow and shoulderblade will work wonders as well.  You'll find sore spots you didn't know you had!  bear_thumb   Also, be sure to keep your arms lower than your shoulders, and your hands as low as possible.  Adjust your chair and sewing machine to accomodate this.  If you sit like a praying mantis, with your elbows down and your hands up, it will add strain to your shoulders and arms.  Remember also to keep your back as straight as you can...sitting hunched over collapses your lungs, and puts added strain on your back, especially your lower back.  Stop to stretch with the sewing machine as well, and be sure to stretch your back from time to time.  You don't have to take ages with your stretches, but just breath and relax.  A few seconds of stretching will keep your body in shape for years of sewing.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks much for the hand stretching tips, Debbie!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug: You're welcome Sue Ann :hug:  If I'd known back then what I know now about doing some stretches, and the massage, I might have been able to continue dog grooming.  However, I didn't....and I overworked my hand.  Now I have to take extra precautions, even when I'm handscissoring my teddies.  Thankfully they're patient, and don't mind waiting with a half scissored face  bear_whistle

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

For bears under six inches, I hand sew. For the larger bears, I use the machine. But with the bigger bears, I do the paw pad and the gusset from the eye to the nose by hand. I can never do this by machine.

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

I'm with Jenny - machine all the way, from 7" - 19" all machine, otherwise it doesn't get done.  The same with their clothes - all machine. (except the snap fasteners)

Board footer