Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

teeeej Brisbane

Hi Everyone again! I have seen that it varies between artists whether or not you can sell the bears made from their commercial patterns. Now I have friends and family who like some of the bears I have made from commercial patterns and want some for themselves. However mohair is not cheap! What is your opinion on asking for my friends and family to cover the costs of materials for the bear they want (e.g mohair, joints, eyes but not the pattern)? I would not be making any money from these bears, and of course the pattern designer will be clearly written on the tush tag.

-------
Therese

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hmm, I'm no lawyer, but to me that's the same as if you were to buy the materials with your own money and give the bear away. Surely this must be allowed. They do want you to use the patterns more than once right? I would think that its the profit making part that is prohibited.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

If your friends and family are asking for a commercial patterned bear of course you can ask for cost of materials....you'd go broke otherwise.  bear_laugh

Other's patterns can't be sold/marketed for profit (or as you're own)....you're not doing that at all. 
I know lots of ladies who make bears, jackets, baby items, holiday craft thing-a-ma-bobs, and special somethings for their families (using store bought patterns) and use  a "handmade by____" or "made with love by_____" tag on it....never giving design credit, so don't drive yourself nuts over it.  You're not calling it your own, they know it's a store pattern you've used a lot, no one is being deceived or doing anything shifty......HAVE FUN!!  and share pics bear_happy

:hug:
~Chrissi

NiokaBears Nioka Bears

I think it is of course only fair if you ask that they cover the cost of materials.....if they had a shop I am sure they would not give you items out of it for free BUT rather have you pay their costs or give you a discount.....

As for making bears to give away I doubt that there would be a problem using commercial patterns for that.......if in doubt, why not ask the artist or supplier? I have no problem at all with people using my patterns to make bears for family and friends and encourage them to do so! I also have no problem with people changing my patterns and experimenting with them....a great way to learn....as long as it is for their own personal use and not for resale! Having said that....I have had people approach me and ask if they can make bears from my patterns to sell and I have given them permission to do so as long as they acknowledge it's my design somewhere on the tag and are not claiming it is their own design..... It is just nice to be asked!
HUGS,
Christine

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

As a pattern maker myself, I would not have a problem with you using my patterns in that way.  I think what the copyright mainly covers is the actual pattern itself - as in paper form - you cannot photocopy the pattern and resell it. 
I say you should certainly ask for the costs - most of them probably don't realize just what it costs you to make these bears.

Happy sewing! bear_original

teeeej Brisbane

Thanks everyone for your replies. I also did ask the artist for the bear I was making, and she was happy for me to do it as long as I credit her as the designer of the pattern (which is something I always do when I make bears for other people!)

And I will share my pictures, I love posting on here!! In fact I have just finished a bear designed by Christine of Nioka bears ( bear_laugh ). I will be posting some pics of him soon. He is heading for Germany as a birthday gift for a friend very soon.

NiokaBears Nioka Bears

Therese.....I can't wait to see pics! Can you email me artist@niokabears.com some pics so I don't miss seeing them! I don't always get the time to stop by the forum unfortunately! I love to see what others do with my patterns!!
HUGS,
Christine

Board footer