Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

My latest bear on ebay has sold to a lady "overseas". and she has paid for it with no problem.  The problem is that she wants me to mark the value as $45.00 for customs.  The value is near $300.00.  I have tried to tell her that it is against the law to make a false customs declaration, and that I can't do it.  I get these demanding letters from her saying that she gets bears from the US and Canada all the time with this type of "under declaration" on them, and that she will be responsible for the parcel.  However if it goes missing or is damaged in transit all I have is a piece of paper with a value of $45.00 on it, and no way of making her take the loss.  She claims not to speak very good English, and so I have to email her in very simple sentences.  I just can't send off the bear with a false declaration.  Should I offer her to refund the sale? Or just send the bear with the real declaration?  I just hate dishonesty!!! (Besides, I always get caught  :crackup: )

Any advice,  Thanks, Jane P.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I wish Nancy would pop on here to help you.  Not only is she a fellow Canadian, but she's also a police officer.  I bet she could help you word the email so this lady would understand the pickle she wants to place you in.

Well, I have gone ahead and emailed the lady, and told her that I will not do it, and if she wants a refund I will cancel the sale.  Grrr,  I wish peeople would not ask others to do this sort of thing!

I thought of doing that Susan, but I also don't want her to leave me a negative feedback.  She seems to think that it is her right to request me to send it this way - actually she is demanding, not requesting.  With lots of !!!!!!! at the end of each sentence and all highlighted in bright colours.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'd definitely be saving all emails from this woman.  And I'd also be in contact with Ebay over this.  As Lemon Wolf says, this woman's asking you to do something illegal, and demanding it from you is not right.  I'd say the sooner you can chat with the Ebay folks, the better.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

It's quite a pickle!  You're darned if you do and darned if you don't.  Unfortunately we feel held hostage by the feedback system.  Do what you believe to be the right thing for you.  Is it still possible to reply to feedback?  You could explain the situation that way.

I'm not much help, I'm afraid.  I am hoping, however, that it all works out for the positive for you.   bear_flower

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hey!

Jane...you as the shipper are responsible for filling out an accurate declaration.  Failure to do so is fraud, as it misleads customs in the country to which the item is going to assess incorrect duties and taxes.   They base their duties and taxes on the declared value.

If caught, you face fines,  possible criminal charges,  and run the risk of having your item seized.     Also, for insurance purposes, you can't insure for more than the declared value, so if the bear goes MIA, and declared value is only $45.00.  Then you'll get $45.00 back, but your customer will likely want her $300.00 back.  Once again, you lose.

GOOD FOR YOU for taking the high road, and refusing to be dishonest!

You can find out more by contacting Canada Border Agency  http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

hugs,
nt

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I think that if she tries to leave you negative feedback, a call into EBAY to explain that she tried to coerce you into committing an illegal act across international borders may fix that problem right away. I think that people sometimes don't realize what they are asking!!! I have seen several artists put right in their descriptions that they will not falsify customs documents.

Cheryl bear_flower

Nancy, I stood my ground with her, and told her she could have her money refunded if she wanted, and I would cancel the sale.  She has replied with a "please send me the bear!!!!!!!!" - I hate all these exclamation marks.

As you say Aleta, we feel like we are held hostage.

Please, anyone who sends bears or other goods internationally, do not put false customs declarations - not only are you breaking the law yourself, but it makes it even harder when our customers expect us all to do it.  We end up with sticky situations like this.  Thanks, I'll get off my soap box now.

Cheryl, we were posting at the same time - I think I am going to have to put that in my description from now on.

Board footer