Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Hi guys,
I finally got around to writing down my Kool-Aid Dye Instructions just in case you are interested.  I've posted it in yesterday's Blog entry. 

http://qdpatooties.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

Lisa

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Cool! Thanks for posting Lisa bear_original   I just got some Kool-Aid for a different kind of "project", but I'm gonna try to dye a swatch or two now!!

The other project ( bear_grin ) Anyone ever had a Koolickle???  I cracked up at the articles online and decided to try to make a batch, it being summer and BBQ time up here..why not give it a try bear_laugh 

Check it out here  http://tinyurl.com/2wwz9d ......and let me know if you've tasted these things yet.....how are they??  bear_grin

:hug:
~Chrissi

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Mmm.  Never tried a Koolickle but did look at that page.  Kind of made me scratch my head and think of that recipe I have for Velveeta Fudge (yes, fudge made with Velveeta cheese is way yummy!).  I bet they'd be good and I know my girls would love them!!!  I might give it a whirl sometime this summer.  Thanks for the link!

P.S.  I updated my Blog with how my dyed fabric turned out.  My favorite colors are the Arctic Apple Green and the Blue Raspberry.  Both gorgeous!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Lisa, that looks like fun! I love dying mohair but I usually use rit and "bearish" colors. (Although I mad an adorable blue and white panda last year.) I think I may branch out to some of these bolder colors. Does the bear end up smelling at all like vinegar or does that scent rinse out  well.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

The scent is still there in the last one that I did which was the dark red (Black Cherry).  But of all the Kool-Aid flavors, I think this one is the strongest anyway.  I mean, you can see that the fabric turned out deep burgundy which was a really strong color.  It will probably go away in a day or two.  The others smell just like I hung them out on the line in the sunshine.  I bet if I put the Black Cherry out in the sun one more day the smell would be gone.  Right now though, it smells delicious!

hmduffy Posts: 27

Wow. Does this bleed when it's done?

I dyed a barbie's hair with kool-aide when I was a teenager, and it still rubs off every time you touch it. Maybe I did it wrong.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

You have to remember that Barbie's hair is a synthetic fiber.  Mohair, alpaca, cotton, etc. are natural fibers giving them the ability to absorb better.  Also, if you read my instructions, I add vinegar to my dye bath as it kind of sets the color.  I rinse the fabric until it the water runs clear making sure there is no excess dye. I've had several pieces of my hand dyed fabric in my stash for years and it's never rubbed off on me and haven't had a customer complain of it doing so (been doing this for 10 years and my first batch of Kool-Aid bears was from when I first started).  So I think it's pretty safe.  Just my opinion and experience though.

I've heard that Barbie and other doll's hair does well with RIT dye.  In fact, I have a couple of Sasha dolls in my collection that are "custom" Sashas that have RIT dyed hair and it does not rub off.

Have fun with it!

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Hi, thanks for sharing your recipe Lisa, is this product just in USA or does anybody know if it is available in the UK or maybe there is a suitable alternative in UK. It has got me thinking about natural dyes now as I usually use Dylon (worry about the chemicals though) or sometimes tea and coffee but that gets boring.

Pauline

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Hi Pauline,
The other brand we have here is called FlavorAid I believe.  Do they sell that one in the UK?  If not, I just Googled "Kool-Aid in the UK" and found this fabulous website that sells both to people in the UK.  Here's the link:

http://www.koolaiduk.com/

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I have done Kool-Aid dyed mohair before and it makes your bear smell sooooo yummy and fruity! *smiles*

Good luck with your dying projects!

Bear hugs,

Kim

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Hi Lisa,

That's great, thank you so much, will definitely have a go.  Your bears turned out a great colour.

Pauline

Board footer