Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

... or, 'All's Well That Ends Well'.
(© 1601 Wm. Shakespeare,
in the interest of Copyright attribution!!)

I've had resolution of sorts after finding my words from a 2003 online webzine interview in a recent Needle Felting article, being used by others without attributing them as being my work.

In the first instance the Publisher has agreed that a Correction notice is in order and it will be taken care of.

I'd thought that the second instance was a matter of another bear maker's having seen the first in a recent print article and used the sentences from there.

She has sent two abject apologies for the situation, telling me that she went through online searches to find out How-Tos when she was learning NFing, came across the 2003 article and clipped part of it as it explained the process succinctly. Never even gave Copyrights a thought. In this swift around-the-world-instant-communicating that we're all so used to, with access to practically everything, it's easy to forget that the old Copyrights rules still apply.

Drag & drop is easy on all computers: just be sure to capture the name & source as well, as there is a 'Gray Area' of Copyright, called Fair Use, where small portions may be directly quoted, but the original Author & Source MUST still always be listed prominently.

I was away teaching yesterday when her emails arrived; she asked if I preferred to have it totally removed & rephrased by herself or properly attributed. Before I read the mail last night, she'd already changed it on the blog.

Resonable ppl can swiftly and cleanly get many things accomplished. Thank you all for your thoughts.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow . . . so glad it was resolved without a lot of grief!  You rock, my friend!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I try really really hard to believe that people do things out of ignorance not out of malice (ok, sometimes you really have to want to believe it and squint your eyes real tight... :crackup: ) and I'm so glad this turned out to be the case for you Bobbie! Well done.

Cheryl bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

wow, good job Bobbie! I'm impressed. Way to keep what is yours, not always easy anymore. I think a lot of people DO forget about copyrights, so thanks for the reminder.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I'm so glad this was resolved. You must be so relieved!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:dance:  Way to go Bobbie!!!  :dance:

sarahjane Brisbane

I'm glad this all worked out OK in the end!!  bear_thumb

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Bobbie,
I'm very very glad that this situation has worked out best for you in the end. I really am. What happened with your words, is totally wrong.  The title isn't inaccurate in the least. But I wonder if maybe this forum being a place for scandal(s) to be taken/tried is unsettling for anyone else.  They should've thought of that first, yes I totally agree...believe me.
I do not know this other artist(s)not at all, but the simple text that was given lead easily to all articles on and off line.  40 seconds tops.
Again, don't know this other person and what they did was obviously (read it myself) wrong....but I'm totally freaked out that whether right or wrong....true or false, things can be tried out here, knowing that it's members involved.  Please don't perceive this as "playing un nice", hope it's not perceived as such in any shape or form. I wouldn't "play" when it comes to talking out loud and discussions between adults.  And like I said...I've read it all first hand, this was indeed what the title says.

I am truly glad that you're seeing resolution and that others will see via editorial corrections. But in this very public forum, I'm offering a small.....jeez..something.....to you and to the other
person(s) too. Something very wrong transpired. I hope all can move forward, wounded (self inflicted or not)......but not totally broken.   bear_sad

:hug:
~Chrissi

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Way to go Bobbie!  You handled the situation like the pro that you are and it worked.

As for the second bear maker, the one who sent apologies?

Good for him/her!!!  It  takes a big person to admidt when they are wrong and apologize to whom they offended....

I hope you are feeling some resolution and are able to relax a bit now.

You did what you did for your reputation, but It may remind the editors and there is a reason they hire fact checkers.....

Thanks, what you did will help us all.

dilu

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Thanks to both Diane & Chrissi, like 2 sides of one coin. Chrissi, you probably are troubled by the fact that this had to be presented, MINUS the true facts, but I chose to do this because the words can be traced directly back to those that I'm involved with. You'll have to trust that others have seen them too, and can see the exact duplication of my words and phrases.

It is not my intention to have ever embarrassed anyone, be they wrong or right. Saving-face is very important to me, as it's the First step in correcting situations, in healing. Don't back anyone into a corner or you'll find you have a Tiger by the Tail.

Mom always said, "Act like Lady." I believe that I'm doing just that and that my family is/would be proud of me. No rancor, no making trouble for trouble's sake. I think you all know me well enough by now to know that I would not intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. I back off and go-to-ground when I see trouble brewing, as I need to take the time to make very considered decisions about situations after weighing all of the facts on both sides. I did just that early this week, after mulling it over for 2 weeks. I cannot be specific and I ask you to trust me on this.  Had the others not been (nominal) members in TT, I still would not have given names, nor given exact quotes. Let it suffice to say that experts in our field agree with me/ my stance and have set about correcting the mistakes.

I think that this is one of the artist-community-subjects that is important to all of us; artist, hobbyist and collector alike. What hurts one hurts all. This was just a non-threatening method to bring this out in a discussion format. If not here, on one of the largest, most active lists I belong to, then I'm not sure where else I could've gone to for both reassurance that it was 'safe' to discuss it here, as well as for all of us to learn something by it.  Remember the line about those who do not read history are bound to repeat those (mistakes) of the past?

Again, I cannot commend ALL of you more highly to've kept calm and reasonable here. THANK YOU!

We'd best end this now, because it's all been said. Most importantly, as I pointed out earlier, in this age we have to be very careful when writing out our ideas, to make sure that they really are OUR ideas & words.
Please write to me personally now if you'd like to more reassurance, but still no information. Unless you have more valuable input on Copyrights that TT can benefit from.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
rkr4cds wrote:

Thanks to both Diane & Chrissi, like 2 sides of one coin. Chrissi, you probably are troubled by the fact that this had to be presented, MINUS the true facts, but I chose to do this because the words can be traced directly back to those that I'm involved with. You'll have to trust that others have seen them too, and can see the exact duplication of my words and phrases.

No, not troubled at all with true facts not being presented... good grief not at all and that's not what I wrote or meant at all. I still can't believe that you saw PM's asking for specifics and more info!! -jaw drop moment -

It's easy to see that you're on the up and up and that what you've presented is beneficial in it's base discussion, it's just so -ugh- that it involved members and that it was incredibly easy to find everything with the info given.  But like I said, they should've thought of that.  You had every right to correct it. bear_flower

Totally agree that this was a BS move & was wrong..can't say that enough....I'm not as far from the other side of the coin.   

:hug:
~Chrissi

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Dear Bobbie, you certainly are a lady, to have gone through this without naming names I applaud you, I think I would have shouted from the roof tops, I am also glad that the people have been made to feel responsible for their actions, wether they were deliberate or unintensional.
I think that at the end of the day we all have to be careful in any profession we are in.
You have done an excellent job of making us all aware that we are all accountable and for that I thank you.
Sending you the biggest hug I can, all my love Sue :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574
MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've been following this as well. Very impressed by your integrity.

Marion

Board footer